Mogwai

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherhamfox

Playing Leicester Uni, i advise you to go.

I hear a lot of people talking about these, but who are they? Who do they sound similar to?

They are from Scotland, been around for a bit now. They are renowned for their songs going from quiet to loud. I suppose the genres they go into would be ambient/rock. Newest album Mr Beast is fairly decent, i'd reccomend the songs Glasgow Mega Snake and Travel is Dangerous off it. Similar bands are ones such as Explosions in the sky, God Speed! You black emperor and Sigur Ros.

rotherhamfox said:
Playing Leicester Uni, i advise you to go.

Tickets already purchased.

Mogwai are classic post rock, their influences include Slint, La Bradford, Sonic Youth, Spacemen 3, Codeine, My Bloody Valentine etc etc

If you want to be Melvin Bragg you'd probably describe them as creating guitar laden, effects heavy, sonic landscapes that sound like they should be used as soundtracks to foreign films. Toe tappers they are not and they don't use conventional song structures, more quiet/noisy/quiet than verse/chorus/verse. Until recently it was 90% instrumental music but now they have a lot more vocals (more spoken than sung). If you want a starting point try the album Rock Action or Young Team.

Last edited:
I saw in Sheffers at the Plug a couple of months ago, they were amazing, the climax of the gig was brutal, the same sound played for 15 mins straight!

rotherhamfox said:
I saw in Sheffers at the Plug a couple of months ago, they were amazing, the climax of the gig was brutal, the same sound played for 15 mins straight!

Thats nothing Oasis can do the same song for 2 hours....*adjusts Tin Hat*

highland fox said:
Thats nothing Oasis can do the same song for their whole career....*adjusts Tin Hat*

:038:

at the end of the day oasis may not be the most inventive and groundbreaking band out there but what they do is write great songs which people enjoy listening too-i couldn't give a shit if they all use the same chords, they sound good to me.

No.6 Muzzy Izzet... said:
when?

I read somewhere that they were going to play the Charlotte sometime in the autumn.

new album is awesome stuff!
yeh i saw and advert for them playing at the charlotte the other day

I think they're playing Leicester Uni on Sept 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566