more train help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazzer

Looking at leicester to St Albans Friday tea time returning sunday anytime for two people. best i can see is £90.

Looking at leicester to St Albans Friday tea time returning sunday anytime for two people. best i can see is £90.

The Super Off-Peak Return is only £35.60 (each) so you won't have to pay £90. I'll look to see if I can find any better.

btw Do you mean that you can return at any specific time on Sunday - or do you mean you want a ticket that will allow you to return at any time?

Leicester - Luton Airport Parkway = £32.60
Luton Airport Parkway - St Albans = £9.20

Total = £41.80

There are no cheap single fares to St Pancras on the East Mids Trains website, otherw*s* would have suggested buying those and hopping off in Luton.

Edit: just looked at splitting the journey, not the full one.

Last edited:
You're not going to be able to beat that Super Off-Peak return at this stage. So that's £71.20 for the two of you - but at least you won't be obliged to use specified trains, so it will be more convenient.

You will have to change at either Luton or Luton Airport Parkway, but make sure you know which for the particular train you travel on. Leaping off at the wrong one is bound to cause you delay, particularly on your return journey.

HTH

ok. would really appreciate some guidance. need to arrive in newcastle on Thursday at about 5pm, leaving Milton keynes whenever. coming back saturday morning.
so many options... down to london, across to kx and then up, or change at brum, or manchester?
help!

ok. would really appreciate some guidance. need to arrive in newcastle on Thursday at about 5pm, leaving Milton keynes whenever. coming back saturday morning.
so many options... down to london, across to kx and then up, or change at brum, or manchester?
help!

Why not fly up to Newcastle? :102:

Why not fly up to Newcastle? :102:
don't go from luton.
brum, heathrow, gatwick or stany are a pain. also not sure if their airport will be open :102:

don't go from luton.
brum, heathrow, gatwick or stany are a pain. also not sure if their airport will be open :102:

Just checked on the BA site. Flights from Thiefrow to Newcastle are available. :icon_bigg

Last edited:
help!

You're far too late to get any cheap Advance fares. And I can't find any cheap splits based on your times.

Cheapest available now is the Off-Peak return at £96.80 and that is a 'not via London' ticket.

Trains from MKC at 11:25 and 12:25, change Tamworth and Derby, arrive Newcastle 15:53 and 16:46 respectively.

Return from Newcastle on Saturday at 09:32, change at York and Manchester Piccadilly, arrives MKC at 13:46. Or an hour later throughout.

Let me know if these times are not suitable.

You're far too late to get any cheap Advance fares. And I can't find any cheap splits based on your times.

Cheapest available now is the Off-Peak return at £96.80 and that is a 'not via London' ticket.

Trains from MKC at 11:25 and 12:25, change Tamworth and Derby, arrive Newcastle 15:53 and 16:46 respectively.

Return from Newcastle on Saturday at 09:32, change at York and Manchester Piccadilly, arrives MKC at 13:46. Or an hour later throughout.

Did BM suggest that route Boc?

Did BM suggest that route Boc?

Not to me, he didn't.

It's a valid route for the journey, according to the ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) Routeing Guide and provides the quickest way back from Newcastle to Milton Keynes on a Saturday morning. There are many other slower routes that would be allowable too.

Not to me, he didn't.

It's a valid route for the journey, according to the ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) Routeing Guide and provides the quickest way back from Newcastle to Milton Keynes on a Saturday morning. There are many other slower routes that would be allowable too.

Fair enough, as always I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. It sounds a bit zig-zaggish though on the face of it to a mere novice such as myself.

Fair enough, as always I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. It sounds a bit zig-zaggish though on the face of it to a mere novice such as myself.

Zig-zaggish is true - but zig-zagging is allowed, if the Routeing Guide says so.

cheers mr B
bag of wank journey, but will beat being stranded in a car on the A1.

Zig-zaggish is true - but zig-zagging is allowed, if the Routeing Guide says so.

Just checked the Routeing Guide again. If you want zig-zag, it is also allowable to complete this journey via Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610
9Brentford710