New Audio CD's Can't be Read by PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Is anyone else having problems?

I bought quite a few CD's as xmas gifts, obviously I started trying to rip them all to my iTunes before I started wrapping them this morning but not one will read!

I've tried 3 laptops and a PC and none of them will read any of the CD's but all read older CD's. All the CD's read in several CD players.

Have they started using some sort of protection I am not aware of?

Is anyone else having problems?

I bought quite a few CD's as xmas gifts, obviously I started trying to rip them all to my iTunes before I started wrapping them this morning but not one will read!

I've tried 3 laptops and a PC and none of them will read any of the CD's but all read older CD's. All the CD's read in several CD players.

Have they started using some sort of protection I am not aware of?

Did you disable autorun before putting them in your drive?

A while ago I recall seeing something about a form of copy-protection that was enabled when the disc was first read.

No! Mental block! How to do I do that?

If you've already done it now then it may be too late. From memory I think you hold down the shift key when inserting the disc to stop autorun. (Assuming a Windows OS)

A bit late now, I know, but some CDs are designed not to run on computer CD drives. If you look carefully at the back of the disk, there is a band that runs round the CD about 6-8 mm in from the edge. This is ignored by audio CD players but stops computer drives playing them.

(Pink's Missundaztood is an example of this).

Apparently it can be 'disarmed' by carefully "colouring it in" with a black marker pen but I've never tried it.

I had this problem with a CD from EMI Gold which I purchased from Amazon Co.UK I complained to Amazon that there had been no mention of this on their webpage for the CD and they refunded the money.

I remember reading about this problem. What appear to be EMI CDs are not CDs at all. They don't even have the 'Compact Disc' logo on them because it would be illegal.

They are more like CD-ROMs and have two 'sessions', the first of which disables your computer's reading of the rest of the disk. The second 'session' contains the data for the actual music (or whatever) and, because an audio device (ordinary CD-player) doesn't recognise the first 'session', is read by that audio device and rendered in what seems like the usual way for a genuine CD.

I understand that a freeware application called AudioGrabber (or something is similar) is what you need.

I had this problem with a CD from EMI Gold which I purchased from Amazon Co.UK I complained to Amazon that there had been no mention of this on their webpage for the CD and they refunded the money.

Amazon will readily refund the money because they told you that they were selling you CDs when they weren't.

These were EMI CD's too.

No, they weren't.
:icon_wink

I remember reading about this in relation to Sony discs in the past, but I would point out that I am not aware of any suggestion that EMI discs have similarly caused vulnerabilities in Windows systems.

For the record, neither was I :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570