New ex-players (and managers) thread

I’m pretty decent remembering former players and I had no idea this human existed:

Jacob Laursen. He didn't stay long. But at least he did get a few games which is more than Jimmy Nielsen, another Dane, did.

Last edited:
Slimani on the bench for Sporting against Cideh

We didn’t give him a fair run in the team etc…..

Worst Dane we’ve had ever.
I saw Jimmy Nielsen in a pre-season game. Laursen certainly isn't the worst Dane we've ever had. Add Vestergaard and that's three out of the five Danes who've been shite.

Vestergaard looks shite in an underperforming Brendan Rodgers team. Laursen looked crap in Dave Bassett’s mess of a side side. But the magic of Jimmy Nielsen was being so shit even Martin Allen couldn’t find a use for him.

...the magic of Jimmy Nielsen was being so shit even Martin Allen couldn’t find a use for him.
But... But... But Micky Adams said that Nielsen was the new Peter Schmeichel!

Tommy Christensen sound like such an exciting and continental signing at the time.

I remember him. I think he was the first Dane to join us.

In those days, a foreign winger joining was about as exciting as it got. It turned out that he was no good. Whatever talent he once possessed had been ruined by injuries. I believe he only played twice and neither of those were 90 mins.

When he went, we brought in Lawrie Cunningham instead and he was another memorable winger that promised much and delivered little.

Christensen is 60 now and appears to be quite friendly with Cliff Richard judging by his online presence.

I remember him. I think he was the first Dane to join us.

In those days, a foreign winger joining was about as exciting as it got. It turned out that he was no good. Whatever talent he once possessed had been ruined by injuries. I believe he only played twice and neither of those were 90 mins.
So four out of the five have been shite, not three. You're right about him having played in only two games. And he was only on a month's contract.

I remember being excited about Jari Rantanen cos he was foreign. He did OK as I recall. Have we even had any other Finns?

I saw a bit of Peterborough v Reading last night. It was horrific. The most appalling player on show by far was Danny Drinkwater.

Looking at Twitter this morning, it appears as though that wasn't a uniquely poor performance from him. He is despised by Reading fans.

This is from the local Reading paper about his performance last night.

'Drinkwater 3/10

Back in the starting 11 due to Laurent missing out through injury but was way off the pace throughout and bullied by the Peterborough players. A big disappointment.'

Mark McGhee appointed as manager at Dundee. He starts it with a six-match touchline ban.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563