Next season rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:018: Proofs, as in the archaic verb to test

'It's the word exception rather than prove that is causing the confusion here. By exception we usually mean 'something unusual, not following a rule'. What it means here though is 'the act of leaving out or ignoring'. If we have a statement like 'entry is free of charge on Sundays', we can reasonably assume that, as a general rule, entry is charged for.
So, from that statement, here's our rule:
You usually have to pay to get in.
The exception on Sunday is demonstrating that the rule exists. It isn't testing whether the incorrect rule 'you have to pay' is true or not, and it certainly isn't proving that incorrect rule to be true.
Origin
It's a legal maxim, established in English law in the early 17th century. Written, as law was in those days, in Latin:
Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis
and is interpreted to mean ‘exception confirms the rule in the cases not excepted’

I'm sure you've said that before, but I couldn't find any evidence to back it up, so I thought you'd made it up.

I definitely didn't make it up, and yes I have said it before, but I've not found any Internet based evidence yet to back it up either.
I am prepared to debate the subject if somebody wants to start the thread though. :icon_lol:

'It's the word exception rather than prove that is causing the confusion here. By exception we usually mean 'something unusual, not following a rule'. What it means here though is 'the act of leaving out or ignoring'. If we have a statement like 'entry is free of charge on Sundays', we can reasonably assume that, as a general rule, entry is charged for.
So, from that statement, here's our rule:
You usually have to pay to get in.
The exception on Sunday is demonstrating that the rule exists. It isn't testing whether the incorrect rule 'you have to pay' is true or not, and it certainly isn't proving that incorrect rule to be true.
Origin
It's a legal maxim, established in English law in the early 17th century. Written, as law was in those days, in Latin:
Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis
and is interpreted to mean ‘exception confirms the rule in the cases not excepted’

Not sure what copy 'n' pasting from wikipedia proves

Still doesn't help us much Jeff.
Mike was correcting me for using the word 'proofs' when I was using it in the sense that the exception 'tests' the rule.
There can be no argument that 'proof' in that sense does mean 'test', it is still retained in other Germanic languages to mean exactly that and in English when referring to the tested strength of alcohol.

So, just to clarify my position, anything posted in the Rumours thread I automatically assume to be bollocks, anything that isn't bollocks is only testing that rule.

In human-computer interaction, cut and paste and copy and paste offer user-interface paradigms for transferring text, data, files or objects from a source to a destination. Most ubiquitously, users require the ability to cut and paste sections of plain text. This paradigm has close associations with graphical user interfaces that use pointing devices such as a computer mouse (by drag and drop, for example).
Contents
[hide]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut,_copy,_and_paste
Gawd i need a life:102:

In human-computer interaction, cut and paste and copy and paste offer user-interface paradigms for transferring text, data, files or objects from a source to a destination. Most ubiquitously, users require the ability to cut and paste sections of plain text. This paradigm has close associations with graphical user interfaces that use pointing devices such as a computer mouse (by drag and drop, for example).
Contents
[hide]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut,_copy,_and_paste
Gawd i need a life:102:

Hmmm, yeah but you see, it's posted in the rumours thread, so it must be bollocks, just like *everything* else in this thread

I definitely didn't make it up, and yes I have said it before, but I've not found any Internet based evidence yet to back it up either.
I am prepared to debate the subject if somebody wants to start the thread though. :icon_lol:

If you do, these sections from the OED might help, or not.
On prove, v.

II. To make trial of; to try, test.

6. a. trans. To put (a person or thing) to the test; to test the genuineness or qualities of; (Sc.) to test by tasting, to sample. Now rare in general use (but cf. technical uses at senses 6b, 6f, etc.).

c1230 (?a1200) Ancrene Riwle (Corpus Cambr.) (1962) 94 Hwen ha is ipruuet [a1250 Nero ipreoued; a1250 Titus ipreouet], hit sei..for alswa pruue [a1250 Nero preoue; a1250 Titus ipreoues] godd his leoue icorene. c1330 (?a1300) Arthour & Merlin (Auch.) (1973) 3001 King and erls wiouten dout er gun him anon rebout Forto prouen his maner. a1400 (a1325) Cursor Mundi (Vesp.) 8115 e might o am ou latt vs proue. c1450 Alphabet of Tales (1904) I. 43 How e fadir taght his son for to prufe his frende. 1526 Bible (Tyndale) John vi. 6 This he sayde to prove hym, For he hym sylfe knewe what he wolde do. 1584 KING JAMES VI & I Ess. Prentise Poesie sig. Diiij, No flesh nor bone Can preif the honnie we from Pinde distill. 1611 Bible (A.V.) 1 Thess. v. 21 Proue [WYCLIF 1382 prove, a1425 L.V. preue e, Rhem. prooue, TINDALE to Geneva examen] all things: hold fast that which is good. 1704 J. OLDMIXON Pastoral Poem 25 In vain they prove again the bloody Field. 1789 D. SILLAR Poems 67 For ever sin' the serpent, Eve Did cry the cursed fruit to prieve. 1807 WORDSWORTH White Doe III. 340 Nor did he turn aside to prove His Brothers' wisdom or their love. 1881 ‘M. TWAIN’ Prince & Pauper xxv. 198 He..began to devour him from head to foot with his eyes..stepping briskly around him and about him to prove him from all points of view. 1906 Englewood (Illinois) Times (Electronic text) 3 Aug., He would prove the oxen by testing their strength, capacity for work, and tractableness. 1962 New Shetlander No. 63. 5 We hated da sooen gruelwe hardly preeved it ava.

On proof, v.

[Partly < PROOF n., and partly < PROOF adj.
Compare earlier PROVE v.; sense 1a could perhaps alternatively be taken as showing a spec. sense development of that verb (compare forms at that entry), although the absence of forms with voiced final consonant in this sense makes this unlikely; with senses 1b and 1c compare earlier PROVE v. 6h, PROVE v. 6d.
With sense 1d compare earlier PROOFREAD v.
With sense 2 compare earlier WATERPROOF v., which probably provided the model both for the simplex use (as e.g. in quots. 1879 at sense 2, 1938 at sense 2, etc.) and for the numerous later formations with a modifying word specifying the thing resisted (e.g. fire-proof vb. at FIRE-PROOF adj. Derivatives, MOTHPROOF v., RUSTPROOF v., weatherproof (see WEATHERPROOF adj. and n.). It is unclear to what extent such uses with a modifying word genuinely show new formations in the verb, and to what extent they simply show conversions of the corresponding adjectives (compare PROOF adj. 1b).]

1. trans. To submit to proof, or to a proof; to prove, test, or verify.

a. orig. and chiefly Sc. To test the quality of (something) by sampling; spec. to estimate the quality and content of (grain in a corn-stack) by taking a random sample.
The Sc. National Dict. (1968) records this sense as still in use in Orkney, north-eastern Scotland, and Wigtonshire in 1966.

c1699 W. GORDON Petit. High Commissioner & Estates Parl., They..forced them [sc. the tenants] to carry away..both Corn and Fodder, without proofing the same, or telling the Threeves thereof. 1756 Process William Alexander against John Miller Tobacconist 41 Method of proofing Tobacco at Exportation is, to open a Hogshead of every five, and in case the Tobacco in such Hogsheads is found sufficient, then, allow the whole to be shipped. 1835 H. MILLER Scenes & Legends N. Scotl. xi. 185 He was engaged in what is termed proofing the stacks of a cornyard.

Looks to me that both are possible.

Can we get back to talking about how Gareth Bale and Andriy Shevchenko will be joining us on loan? This thread's for silly bollocks!

It's worse than that cress debate the other day. The football is finally back and we still have nothing to talk about....

I dont recall anyone mentioning alfalfa, which is very tasty...

That was one of the seeds I used to grow in a jam jar covered with an old stocking.

The other was mung beans which are exceedingly tasty.

I come on here thinking there's been some transfer gossip, and i find a cooking show in mid swing.

This should be in the kiddies thread. There's far too many pointless threads already. The Mods need to get a grip........

I come on here thinking there's been some transfer gossip, and i find a cooking show in mid swing.

This should be in the kiddies thread. There's far too many pointless threads already. The Mods need to get a grip........

Have you tried pushing a turd up hill? :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265