Nimes Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lako42

Has anyone ever been to Nimes in France? We are thinking of going there for a short break in Sept and wondered if anyone would recommend it. The other possibility is Bologna or Perugia.

Pont du gard is awsome. Especially when you consider it was built 2000 years ago.
Arles is worth a visit with its amphitheater and van gogh links.
Avignon to see the bridge, l'on y danser...
Languedoc wines are some of my favs too.

Pont du gard is awsome. Especially when you consider it was built 2000 years ago.
Arles is worth a visit with its amphitheater and van gogh links.
Avignon to see the bridge, l'on y danser...
Languedoc wines are some of my favs too.

Would 4 nights be too much?

Oh and Carcassonne has also stirred some interest, looks brilliant.

Nah, got the camargue and the med to the south. Lovely part of the world

Cheers MK, any idea what the prices are like in Nimes (food and drink)

Camargue looks fantastic, never knew it existed.

Sorry Lako, I know the region pretty well but mostly the southern part of it (around Perpignan). In general though it's a cracking part of France to go to and 4/5 days is about the perfect length of time to go for.

I'm in Languedoc right now - just north of Montpellier. Nimes, Arles, Montpellier are all great, as are many of the villages outside. A fine place to visit. Sea will still be good in September.

I also really like Carcassone, although many don't. It's like a hot and pleasant Edinburgh, with a medieval castle and the New Town below. Ryanair fly there from East Mids, of course.

I'm in Languedoc right now - just north of Montpellier. Nimes, Arles, Montpellier are all great, as are many of the villages outside. A fine place to visit. Sea will still be good in September.

I also really like Carcassone, although many don't. It's like a hot and pleasant Edinburgh, with a medieval castle and the New Town below. Ryanair fly there from East Mids, of course.

What are the prices like when there? Would I have to rent a car do you think?

Cheers

I'd rent a car if its your first time here since there's plenty to go and see and public transport isn't great. If you're going off the main routes in particular, and through any of the villages, the smaller the car the better.

France is very cheap this year as the Euro falls in value - we ate out at a very good restaurant last night that you had to book for, and the 3 course menus were 21 Euro and 29 Euro - most local restaurants you can get away with half that and with decent wine for under 5 Euro a bottle.

I don't know where you're planning on staying, but gites are often pretty cheap in September as the families go back for school terms.

I'd rent a car if its your first time here since there's plenty to go and see and public transport isn't great. If you're going off the main routes in particular, and through any of the villages, the smaller the car the better.

France is very cheap this year as the Euro falls in value - we ate out at a very good restaurant last night that you had to book for, and the 3 course menus were 21 Euro and 29 Euro - most local restaurants you can get away with half that and with decent wine for under 5 Euro a bottle.

I don't know where you're planning on staying, but gites are often pretty cheap in September as the families go back for school terms.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Public transport is pretty reasonable there, but if you're going to go anywhere off the beaten track then it can be a bit less frequent and therefore a car does make it easier to get around. However if you're just going to fly in and then head into the city and not stray too far, or only travel to other major points, then it is much cheaper to use public transport.

Cheers guys, I was thinking of maybe getting the bus to the aquaduct and then the train to a town on the edge of the camorgue and taking a boat trip or hiring a bike.

Good to know the food isn't too bad, I have found flights for £89 return for two people for my dates so it's just getting to Luton gor a 6am flight that is the drawback.

Many thanks

Flights and hotels booked, splitting time between Nimes and Aigues Mortes, there is a direct train between the two so it's ideal. Will stay down the Camargue area for 2 nights and visit the coast for the day as well. Viaduct will be a day trip from Nimes if I can find the correct bus info.

Looking forward to it, should be a varied break.

Off next week, Any last tips for things to see etc from those ITK.

Off next week, Any last tips for things to see etc from those ITK.

Have you had all of your jabs? I hear plague and leprosy are a bit of a problem in that area.
And don't be eating any of the local food, you know how jippy your tummy gets, you won't be hiring many bikes out if your arse is leaking everywhere

I agree.

Take tins of Brain's Faggots, packets of Smash and a box of Yorkshire tea bags. Foreign ladies have all manner of germs, you'd best avoid them, and the men (although dim-witted) can be dangerous as biting is seen as a formal greeting.

To be honest, I would just stay on the plane.

Last edited:
Have you had all of your jabs? I hear plague and leprosy are a bit of a problem in that area.
And don't be eating any of the local food, you know how jippy your tummy gets, you won't be hiring many bikes out if your arse is leaking everywhere

I agree.

Take tins of Brain's Faggots, packets of Smash and a box of Yorkshire tea bags. Foreign ladies have all manner of germs, you'd best avoid them, and the men (although dim-witted) can be dangerous as biting is seen as a formal greeting.

To be honest, I would just stay on the plane.

I must admit it sounds right up my alley...

isn't the word "denim" from "de Nimes"

hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572