Nixon, Gurney and Taylor news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be nothing,but heard today that James Taylor is going to Warwickshire,we are going to cash in now,because he is out of contract at the end of next season,i did not know you even get transfer money in cricket.

It's no secret that Warwickshire are after Taylor, and with Taylor having still not signed a new contract suggests it could be likely.

The sceptic in me wonders if Taylor's delayed call up for England has something to do with Giles.

Also Taylor and Buck in the England Performance squad and Naik in the development squad

Could be nothing,but heard today that James Taylor is going to Warwickshire,we are going to cash in now,because he is out of contract at the end of next season,i did not know you even get transfer money in cricket.

Warks talked about buying out his contract and offering compensation plus speculation about them offering a player. They aren't exactly short of money and we are.

As for only offering Taylor an extension of a further year's contract i.e. 2013. By that time there is a fair chance that we will have a central contract with the ECB and wouldn't be a lot of use to Leics anyway. Even if he is gone by then - which is more than likely - Leics continue to get payments from the ECB through the scheme that rewards counties for developing England players.

In the real world we are always likely to lose our best young players to wealthier counties and the club unfortunately has to work within the parameters of that situation.

Taylor has been given permission to speak with other counties after asking to leave with immediate effect. (Source: Leicester Mercury)

Another talent we have developed walks away without really repaying the club for all the effort they put in bringing them through from school boys.

Taylor has been given permission to speak with other counties after asking to leave with immediate effect. (Source: Leicester Mercury)

Another talent we have developed walks away without really repaying the club for all the effort they put in bringing them through from school boys.

There are two sides to this - and it is difficult. I like to think he is leaving with a heavy heart.

The fact is, the ECB wants counties to produce players but I think its fairly evident that those counties which put most effort in to this are not being adequately rewarded with player loyalty/compensated accordingly.

Are you really surprised that he shows no loyalty to a club showing no ambition or desire to keep him or any other decent young talent.

The county is finished as a cricketing force, the policy of developing good youngsters to make us competitive will never ever work when all they ever do is leave at the first sign of acknowledged talent.

Inevitable. Real shame.

Let's hope he gets into England side and prove he wouldn't have played much for us anyway, just like Broady.

Inevitable. Real shame.

Let's hope he gets into England side and prove he wouldn't have played much for us anyway, just like Broady.

It was inevitable and it is a shame.

I don't think that there is any way that Leicestershire as a low income county can compete with the international ground counties. We are not immune from the normal commercial presuures nor should Leics stand in the way of ambition. The plain truth is that Taylor has a better chance of getting international call ups if he is playing against Division One bowling and for a more fashionable county.

Nixon has left the staff completely now to join an IPL side a batting coach. Ben Smith coming in as batting coach to County.

Last edited:
Nixon has become an ambassador for LCCC as announced on Radio Leicester. Think this is a great move by the club. Also mentioned that close to signing Ramanresh Sarwan as overseas player (West Indian batsmen)

If Sarwan can maintain a level of fitness and motivated then hopefully a valuable signing. Still leaves batting too light tho.

Club ambassadors don't score many runs or take wickets - I see it as more or less....meaningless.

Increased revenue from ECB was a major reason for profit....this will fall in this years accounts. But match receipts up significantly due to T20 success and excellent weather for 1 day games; coaching costs also considerably down.- presumably due to departure of Head Coach.

Meaningless on the pitch but not off...LCCC need all the revenue they can muster to maintain status as a county cricket club. Nixon's role (which i'm sure he'll do very well) is to promote the club and raise funds for future seasons of cricket at Grace Road. Important in my book

Meaningless on the pitch but not off...LCCC need all the revenue they can muster to maintain status as a county cricket club. Nixon's role (which i'm sure he'll do very well) is to promote the club and raise funds for future seasons of cricket at Grace Road. Important in my book

Well good luck to him with that!

I wouldn't presume to guess the details but my bet is that he has loads of other interests and commitments - and raising significant amounts of funds and getting a wider section of the public on the ground is more than a task and a half.

Many years ago the club was in a similar hole and Mike Turner in particular managed to turn rounf the situation - for one thing the County were at the fore of the the development of Sunday cricket.

There's not been too many businesses in Leics who have wanted to put significant money into the club - and these are now difficult times. I do think that a bit more could be done to strengethen the links with club crickets and packages/ incentives arranged to increase attendances in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566