No youngsters coming through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foggyhorse

I know we have Stearman coming through but is that it? Derby, Forest, West Ham, Ipswich and Crewe all regularly have a clutch of 4 or 5 youngster coming through at any one time whereas with the exception of Piper, we have had no one of note in recent years.

We now have excellent youth academy facilities but no good prospects! Is there a specific reason for this, such as did we have to release a lot of promising youngsters during admin or is our youth setup up just not good enough?

foggyhorse said:
I know we have Stearman coming through but is that it? Derby, Forest, West Ham, Ipswich and Crewe all regularly have a clutch of 4 or 5 youngster coming through at any one time whereas with the exception of Piper, we have had no one of note in recent years.

We now have excellent youth academy facilities but no good prospects! Is there a specific reason for this, such as did we have to release a lot of promising youngsters during admin or is our youth setup up just not good enough?

Stephen Dawson, and Sheehan are both looking like good prospects, as does Louis Dodds...but he is a few years off the first team yet. If he keeps his head down and works hard I think he could make it though.

Oh and welcome to the forum Foggy. Look forward to reading your input :D

Cheers silver, i've been reading the posts on here for quite a while and it seems a lot better than the OS messageboard.

Matt Heath...

Jordan Stewart (I know we signed him from Villa but that was a very young age so our academy can take credit for him)...

CL has mentioned Alan Sheehan and Stephen Dawson in positive terms recently...

Not up there with the Crewe's of this world admittadly but not as bleak as it could be. I see alot more of our youngsters given a chance under CL than they were under MA or even MON for that matter. I can't remember any youth players braking into MON's team on a regular basis. He gave Stewart his debut and Lawrie Dudfield a few squad apperances but that's about it...

londonfox said:
Matt Heath...

Jordan Stewart (I know we signed him from Villa but that was a very young age so our academy can take credit for him)...

Not up there with the Crewe's of this world admittadly but not as bleak as it could be. I see alot more of our youngsters given a chance under CL than they were under MA or even MON for that matter. I can't remember any youth players braking into MON's team on a regular basis. He gave Stewart his debut and Lawrie Dudfield a few squad apperances but that's about it...

It'll take time but Levein and the backroom staff are currently working hard to change the Youth set-up. Hopefully in the coming years we will produce a lot better players from our youth system. This is critical for a club of our size because we can't afford to throw money at people like the 'big boys' do.

Everything is in place for us to have a great set up. Leicester have fantastic facilities and its about time we used them for the future.

Stearman
Dawson
O'Grady
Wright
Dodds
Sheehan
Butcher
Logan

Not the best around. The top two are the most promising. Haven't really seen O'Grady and I don't think Wright will be make it. In the recent years we've had Heskey, Joachim, Piper,Stevenson(partly), Stewart, Heath. I think don't any of the youngsters at the moment are up to that standard, expect maybe as I said the top two of the list but they have got a long way to go yet. This is why I think they should be given a chance in some capacity in this season.

To be honest i don't know that much about Sheehan and dawson (apart from champ man! that is) Heath and stewart are average players at best. I'm talking about players with great potential that will become great assets to the club and inevitably saleable assets. We've had Heskey and Piper in the last ten years. The clubs i mentioned previously have all had many.

PS why was petrescu released really? I was under the impression that he was the next big thing as far as leicester are concerned.
londonfox said:
Matt Heath...

what about wesolowski... supposed to be the 'next harry kewell' isn't he???

Stearman
Dawson
O'Grady
Wright
Dodds
Sheehan
Butcher
Logan

Not the best around. The top two are the most promising. Haven't really seen O'Grady and I don't think Wright will be make it. In the recent years we've had Heskey, Joachim, Piper,Stevenson(partly), Stewart, Heath. I think don't any of the youngsters at the moment are up to that standard, expect maybe as I said the top two of the list but they have got a long way to go yet. This is why I think they should be given a chance in some capacity in this season.

I've looked at the last 5 or 6 seasons and here are all of the young players that have played appearances in the first team.

Kevin Ellison :oops:
Matt Heath - best centre-back we have produced for a long time.
Tom Williamson - looked good but not Micky's style (or age).
Jordan Stewart - longest serving player. keep him, and get off his back!
Stefan Oakes - was good for us.
Damien Delaney - looked promising.
Jon Ashton - next please.
Martin Reeves - needed another chance.
Richard Stearman - one for the future.
Chris O'Grady - give him a go.
Tomi Petrescu - best I had seen since Piper.
Jon Stevenson - shame he didn't make it.
Tommy Wright - isn't what we need but give him a go in the future.

londonfox said:
what about wesolowski... supposed to be the 'next harry kewell' isn't he???
australian and injured? ;-)

Mike Hunt Smells said:
Stearman
Dawson
O'Grady
Wright
Dodds
Sheehan
Butcher
Logan

I've looked at the last 5 or 6 seasons and here are all of the young players that have played appearances in the first team.

Agree with most of what you say there. I had heard Ashley Lyth was a promising player but then he was released or was he just another in the PT catalogue of inept players?

Mike Hunt Smells said:
Stearman
Dawson
O'Grady
Wright
Dodds
Sheehan
Butcher
Logan

He hit the bar against Villa, may of been in the game where Wise got Ginola sent off...

I remember that.. it was a cracking shot from at least 25 yards that smacked the underside of the crossbar.. always heard good things about Delaney and he never looked out of his depth when he did play in the first team.. a victim of over-zealous cost cutting by mr. Bassett and mr. Adams perhaps??? Would like to wish him all the best but as he now plays for Hull I just can't do that...

You can read what Craig Levein thinks about our future prospects (young players wise) in the articles written about the Q & A at the Trust AGM which will appear on our website on Thursday & Friday this week

Worth a read, look around lunchtime each day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670