Non Part P electrical work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

I want to fit a simple external electrical socket to my house and have been told by a family friend that I need to get a Part P electrician to do the work. I had a look around and apparently I can do it myself if I pay the council nearly £500 to come and assess it afterwards! That seems ridiculous for something that will take half an hour and cost £20 for the parts. There is already external wiring for an outside light that is on the mains ring (fitted before we bought the property) so it's just the case of adding a junction box and wiring down.

Am I being naive in even considering the issue; has anyone just done it anyway and not bothered telling the council? Will it cause me any issues down the line?

Failing that, does anyone know a Part P qualified electrician who can come and assess my work afterwards and sign it off for a box of beer?!

Just do it.

I fitted out the whole kit and caboodle in the garage, sockets and lights. No one has died as a result in the last three years and I can't see it being anybodies ****ing business.

Just do it.

I fitted out the whole kit and caboodle in the garage, sockets and lights. No one has died as a result in the last three years and I can't see it being anybodies ****ing business.

That's what I thought, wondered if it would cause issues when we moved.

That's what I thought, wondered if it would cause issues when we moved.

I've done similar to Mawsley but gone even further and put a few sockets into the house as well, nobody said anything when we had the house checked over prior to putting it up for sale. If you want to do it the legal way wire to a plug and socket already in situ so it can be unplugged inside.

Are you sure the outside light is not on a lighting ring? Is it spurred off the ring or actually part of the ring?

Are you sure the outside light is not on a lighting ring? Is it spurred off the ring or actually part of the ring?

It comes from another existing plug socket in the kitchen so I assume mains. It's a bit of a bodge job house to be honest as I found when I tried to add a new light switch.

Thanks for the info guys, think I'll give it a go tomorrow. Apparently you can get building regs insurance when you try to sell if anyone mentions anything that covers any unchecked work should it crop up.

2013-09-02 20.19.46.jpg

The cable that comes out the bottom of the socket and then into the switch, exits the switch via the trunking, goes out through the wall and straight in and out of the light. The light then goes back around the house and back into the ring somewhere.

I'm aware the touching in of the paintwork needs a bit of work :icon_conf

Last edited:
View attachment 10759

The cable that comes out the bottom of the socket and then into the switch, exits the switch via the trunking, goes out through the wall and straight in and out of the light. The light then goes back around the house and back into the ring somewhere.

If that is the switch that operates the outside light, it should be fused. As it is, the whole power circuit could be blown by something as simple as a faulty bulb.

It would seem odd if the cable goes back into the ring elsewhere because that just seems to be a spur. If it goes back into the ring, it would also take its supply from that connection and the switch in the picture would not necessarily switch the light on and off. Can you really be sure where the supply goes to after the light?

Lights should not be on the mains ring. Spend half a box of beer buying old reg wiring and blaming the previous occupant.

Still, it's a very thoughtfull touch to give the cat a light switch next to its dish so it can nip out after supper.

Though not so kind if it's really a death trap of course

If that is the switch that operates the outside light, it should be fused. As it is, the whole power circuit could be blown by something as simple as a faulty bulb.

It would seem odd if the cable goes back into the ring elsewhere because that just seems to be a spur. If it goes back into the ring, it would also take its supply from that connection and the switch in the picture would not necessarily switch the light on and off. Can you really be sure where the supply goes to after the light?

The switch does operate the light (when the bulb isn't blown as currently is) so I'll have a gander where it goes. Sure the switch completes the circuit so it doesn't matter which way the electricity comes from?

The switch does operate the light (when the bulb isn't blown as currently is) so I'll have a gander where it goes. Sure the switch completes the circuit so it doesn't matter which way the electricity comes from?

It's the last sentence of the first paragraph of your post #7 that I don't understand. You seem to be saying that the feed goes somewhere else after the light. I can't see any reason why it would go back to the ring main.

It's the last sentence of the first paragraph of your post #7 that I don't understand. You seem to be saying that the feed goes somewhere else after the light. I can't see any reason why it would go back to the ring main.

It comes out of the light and goes in the opposite direction to the first wire. Not sure where it goes, will need to check when I get home.

It comes out of the light and goes in the opposite direction to the first wire. Not sure where it goes, will need to check when I get home.
If you suddenly stop posting we will know why

View attachment 10759

I would doubt that it is going anywhere back into the ring.
That light needs to be fused and also do not spur off of a spur, that's how fires start.

I would doubt that it is going anywhere back into the ring.
That light needs to be fused

That's what I said in post #9.

I would not suggest this to everybody, but I do honestly think that Matt should pay somebody who knows what they are doing.

He hasn't been back for a while, has he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566