Not losing faith....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankelly

Right...
I’ve been readin these boards for well over a year and only post very very rarely, but after readin all the doom n gloom on here I feel as if I have to say something.

OK, b4 I go on. YES the team right now is performing well below what it could. YES we could well go down and yes it’s very easy to moan when things are going bad. However I still feel a lot more optimistic than when MA was in charge of then team and we were more like a working men’s club than a YMCA. We are positionally in a worse standing than when CL took over but what we need right now is support. I'm bored of reading all the threads about lack of atmosphere with the crowd, shite stewards etc - If the whole stadium got behind the team then the sound would carry, and b4 you ask, I had season tix in every part of filbo over the years (hell I even sold programmes for a while)

It seems like people get some kinda perverse pleasure of almost wanting City to fail so that they can come on here and have a good ole bitch session after. Can you honestly expect a brand new team funded by our post admin resources to challenge for even a play off spot this season? Of course when asked in press conferences, new players are gonna say 'I joined because I think we can go up or at least challenge for a playoff spot' Could you imagine the uproar on this board if any new player said anything different? He would be castrated for lack of vision, passion, ambition etc. He has to say that just to get on the right side of our (or any) fickle fans.

What it all boils down to is the fact that too many of us still have the belief that we should be in the prem on merit.... those days are gone. We have a very very young squad that lack in experience.... but who with a little bit of encouragement & support instead of negativity might actually produce something special in a season or two from now...

It’s very easy to blame CL's lack of apparent motivation skills with certain players; it’s always easier in a bad situation to pick on the fall guys. But look at Joey G for example, a player who was utter bollox under MA but has blossomed this season into perhaps our best player. Paddy M, a young CB who all of a sudden looks like a future captain who wears his heart on his sleeve- he was also fairly shite when he first joined.

We don't deserve to be anywhere except where we are right now, but after MON's biblical turnaround after THAT Sheff U game (yes I was there) we somehow expect every manager to achieve some kind of parallel, when in reality that won't happen very often.

We've gone back years in terms of financial support but our fans expectations remain unfairly the same.. These are probably the same fans who started supporting us back in 92/93 when Brian Little took over, got a few good results and all of a sudden our gate had gone up from 9000 the season b4 (pleat) to over 16000.
Its great to have that extra support and MON's success has enabled a whole new generation of fans to keep us over 20000 in our dire position. But I would rather have half of that actually being vocal enough to support us rather than our current fickle moaning headz who can't wait to have something else to rant about (in our traditional English way!)

We should stay up this season, we might not even finish around mid table next season, but stay with our boys and watch them grow - the results will come eventually.. But they need to know we're on their side too. CL has been in charge a year, nowhere near enough to really reveal his true colours. I'm somewhat dubious but am prepared to give him my full support because he is currently in a complete rebuilding job, from the grassroots up, and what he's done to the structure of the club so far is much greater then what PT & MA ever did, and having fans who expect an instant turnaround is not fair on him. We may have had the 5th highest budget in the Champ, but that has been invested in brand new foundations & stability rather than a quick fix side who would get relegated 1st time in the prem anyway.

I may be completely wrong but I really believe that our team has had to take 2 steps back to go 3 forward. What the club needs right now is your voice... and your backing..

PFKAKTF FOX

dankelly said:
Right...
I’ve been readin these boards for well over a year and only post very very rarely, but after readin all the doom n gloom on here I feel as if I have to say something.

OK, b4 I go on. YES the team right now is performing well below what it could. YES we could well go down and yes it’s very easy to moan when things are going bad. However I still feel a lot more optimistic than when MA was in charge of then team and we were more like a working men’s club than a YMCA. We are positionally in a worse standing than when CL took over but what we need right now is support. I'm bored of reading all the threads about lack of atmosphere with the crowd, shite stewards etc - If the whole stadium got behind the team then the sound would carry, and b4 you ask, I had season tix in every part of filbo over the years (hell I even sold programmes for a while)

It seems like people get some kinda perverse pleasure of almost wanting City to fail so that they can come on here and have a good ole bitch session after. Can you honestly expect a brand new team funded by our post admin resources to challenge for even a play off spot this season? Of course when asked in press conferences, new players are gonna say 'I joined because I think we can go up or at least challenge for a playoff spot' Could you imagine the uproar on this board if any new player said anything different? He would be castrated for lack of vision, passion, ambition etc. He has to say that just to get on the right side of our (or any) fickle fans.

What it all boils down to is the fact that too many of us still have the belief that we should be in the prem on merit.... those days are gone. We have a very very young squad that lack in experience.... but who with a little bit of encouragement & support instead of negativity might actually produce something special in a season or two from now...

It’s very easy to blame CL's lack of apparent motivation skills with certain players; it’s always easier in a bad situation to pick on the fall guys. But look at Joey G for example, a player who was utter bollox under MA but has blossomed this season into perhaps our best player. Paddy M, a young CB who all of a sudden looks like a future captain who wears his heart on his sleeve- he was also fairly shite when he first joined.

We don't deserve to be anywhere except where we are right now, but after MON's biblical turnaround after THAT Sheff U game (yes I was there) we somehow expect every manager to achieve some kind of parallel, when in reality that won't happen very often.

We've gone back years in terms of financial support but our fans expectations remain unfairly the same.. These are probably the same fans who started supporting us back in 92/93 when Brian Little took over, got a few good results and all of a sudden our gate had gone up from 9000 the season b4 (pleat) to over 16000.
Its great to have that extra support and MON's success has enabled a whole new generation of fans to keep us over 20000 in our dire position. But I would rather have half of that actually being vocal enough to support us rather than our current fickle moaning headz who can't wait to have something else to rant about (in our traditional English way!)

We should stay up this season, we might not even finish around mid table next season, but stay with our boys and watch them grow - the results will come eventually.. But they need to know we're on their side too. CL has been in charge a year, nowhere near enough to really reveal his true colours. I'm somewhat dubious but am prepared to give him my full support because he is currently in a complete rebuilding job, from the grassroots up, and what he's done to the structure of the club so far is much greater then what PT & MA ever did, and having fans who expect an instant turnaround is not fair on him. We may have had the 5th highest budget in the Champ, but that has been invested in brand new foundations & stability rather than a quick fix side who would get relegated 1st time in the prem anyway.

I may be completely wrong but I really believe that our team has had to take 2 steps back to go 3 forward. What the club needs right now is your voice... and your backing..

Good post Dan, I am one of the posters who is losing faith in Levein, but I want to assure you on a few points :

1) Never expected play off's, thought there may be a small outside chance if everything clicked early on, I would have been happy with progress and a mid table finish with the signs showing we could be genuine promotion challengers in 2006 / 07. Certainly did not expect us to be in 20th place at xmas.

2) I dont believe we should be in the prem on merit, we are as he always have been, a yo-yo side, but with the squad and resources available, I also do not believe we should be in the bottom 5.

3) Financial resources, since Administration, I fully understand the financial implications, hence why we were unable to compete in the prem under MA, but we still had the 5th highest budget this season, and Levein was given a significant slice of the Connolly money and if he is still here, will no doubt be given more in the January transfer window, yes he had to make cuts, but how many of the players he released would he genuinely have kept on IMO Walker, so he is hardly managing with both hands tied behind his back.

4) I have never wanted City to fail, and neither does anybody else on the forum, nothing would give me greater pleasure than Levein proving me wrong, I actually like the guy, I still hope we beat Reading we then proceed on a run that secures Levein's job for the future, but based on our form right the way through his reign I am not convinced he is capable of selecting a side to go out and win even 3 games on the trot.

5) I think his record in identifying players is very good, Hughes, McCarthy, Gerrbrand, Smith and Hume have been excellent signings, but with the talent available we are most definately under achieveing and with these very talented individuals, how long will they stay if we are not progressing. Lose some of these players to the premiership piranhas and we really will be in the sh1t.

6) I agree on Gudjonsson, he has been immense this season and Levein should take great credit for this, but there are other examples of players who havent improved under Levein like Williams, Sylla and this season Maybury, players who have been accused of not giving their all, surely Levein has to take responsibility for this as well.

I think that is the great debate with Levein, he as done a hell of a lot of good work and for that he should be highly commended, but when you look at his record on the pitch, it is nothing short of appalling and many managers would have lost their jobs earlier. In my heart I still hope Levein will turn it around but my head tells me it wont happen, but I will still support the club whatever, and I will be there next season as well whatever division we are in, we are voicing our opinions because we do care.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
I heard more than one 'Levein out' chant started on saturday. That will only gather momentum over the next few home games. He has got 1-2 poor home performances left IMO.

newtonfox

thats true alot of ppl are chanting for cl head and i carnt blame them ,i carnt blame all the players ,some yes but if you looked at the bench while the game was playing where was cl ,sitting on his butt reading a bit of paper (think a fan gave him new plan to try lol)

millwalls manger was always controling there team from his area

after half time city where attacting the kop end ?(where i sit ) and a few of the lads sitting near me where telling the players where to go on the feild and sod me it worked we got the pen .:102:

rab needs the sack asap as he carnt control his defence at all bring PH at least he know what he is doing

newtonfox

highland fox

DurhamFox said:
I heard more than one 'Levein out' chant started on saturday. That will only gather momentum over the next few home games. He has got 1-2 poor home performances left IMO.
You heard more than one 'Levein out' chant did you?You're not Chris Egerton are you Durham?
You've been saying 'he's only got X amount of games left' for the past 3 months,no doubt you'll be right eventually :)

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
highland fox said:
You heard more than one 'Levein out' chant did you?You're not Chris Egerton are you Durham?
You've been saying 'he's only got X amount of games left' for the past 3 months,no doubt you'll be right eventually :)

So far he has managed to get a result each time the pressure builds up, follwed by a string of crap ones I might add.

highland fox

DurhamFox said:
So far he has managed to get a result each time the pressure builds up, follwed by a string of crap ones I might add.

You just don't like the man DF admit it.You'll only be happy when he's in the Gutter or on Gallowtree Gate asking you for spare change...

fcukcov

highland fox said:
You just don't like the man DF admit it.You'll only be happy when he's in the Gutter or on Gallowtree Gate asking you for spare change...
trying to sell his 'ugly' missus for sex at 50p a pop....

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
highland fox said:

I wanted him to succeed, still do. Nothing would please me more than for him to turn it around tomorrow and us start to pick up results. I would be delighted. I just don't think it will. It's nothing personal, I just dont want my team to be playing in league 1 next season.

highland fox

DurhamFox said:
I wanted him to succeed, still do. Nothing would please me more than for him to turn it around tomorrow and us start to pick up results. I would be delighted. I just don't think it will. It's nothing personal, I just dont want my team to be playing in league 1 next season.

Like I sad DF,if its such a Cert get on I'm sure you can still get 5/1

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
highland fox said:
Like I sad DF,if its such a Cert get on I'm sure you can still get 5/1

Making money from my teams misfortune is not something I am interested in.

Redditch Fox

dankelly said:
Right...

Excellent rant....but,unfortunately the club is dependent on the support of a much greater range of people than your 10,000 diehards, otherwise it will go bankrupt and I believe that CL does not carry the confidence of sufficient 'supporters'.

Also, your scenario of the gradual building of the side by CL would come unstuck anyway because emerging players would be picked off by bigger and more successful clubs and you have been around long enough to know that we would sell..sell...sell.

The hard reality of present day football is that you need a manager and players who will generate some early success or at least prospects of success. The latter is the best that the most patient will stand. CL had support for his re-structuring, but doesn't seem able to hack it within the competitive environment of English football.

Chrysalis

There is a big difference between unrealistically expecting promotion in his first year and not wanting relegation.

highland fox

DurhamFox said:
Making money from my teams misfortune is not something I am interested in.

A man of morals Durham,just like myself:icon_wink :icon_lol:

Brauny Blue

If CL is still to be with us in 2 years time, then much will depend on what happens in this next month imo.

PFKAKTF FOX

Brauny Blue said:
If CL is still to be with us in 2 years time, then much will depend on what happens in this next month imo.

Spot on Brauny, and hopefully he still will be, because it will have meant he had come through a very tough test with flying colours and prove the doubters like myself and Durham wrong, the transfer window will play a key part IMO as well, if he can plug some of the gaps and bring in 2 or 3 players who can really make a difference then he could still turn it around, the problem for Levein is there is another 2 league games before the window opens and he may well need 3 or 4 points to ensure he is still here by the time the window opens.

Chrysalis

Well the way I see it, the club needs to decide during january. The 2 best choices are either replace him IN JANUARY or allow him the FULL SEASON, not sack him between feb and may that would be the worst thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669