Old Firm match last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

Last night Celtic beat Rangers 1-0 in the Scottish Cup fifth round replay. There are some things I really don't understand that perhaps other people could clear up.

What's the situation between El Hadji Diouf and Celtic?

Why is Neil Lennon so angry with Ally McCoist?

How on earth can a player (El Hadji Diouf) get a red card after the final whistle has been blown?

My favourite part was definitely when the 2nd sending off decided he might not get a red card if he held the ref's arm down.

It goes well beyound one match, Rangers and Celtic will play each other 7 times this season, it really is a joke, there's no time for anyone to calm down, before they are playing each other again. There is no doubt that their rivalry is deep and hostile fully based on religous bigotry. Celtic beat Rangers 3 nil a couple of weeks ago in a league game, that will still rankle with the Rangers players, managers and supporters.

The SFA are again talking about changing the league structure, but the 'Old Firm' have so much clout, the league will not change if there is any chance that the big two may have to share a proportion of the revenues that are generated by the Scottish Football League. The sooner they get back to teams playing each other home and away, plus cup matches, the better. If that means the big two playing at some smaller grounds so be it, it would be good for Scottish Football, and allow smaller clubs to develop and keep good players. But no doubt such sentiments are 'pie in the sky' and Scottish football will carry on being dominated by these two clubs who don't give a monkey's about the bigger picture.

I don't know what has happened to Neil Lennon, but his character seems to have changed since he became the Celtic Manager , he is really aggressive and not just at old firm games. Celtic are currently appealing a 6 game touchline ban because of inappropriate response to the match officials. He seems to struggle with the 'politics' of the managerial role, throw in the 'old firm' rivalry and it is not a good mix. He is certainly not a good role model for any football supporter irrespective of their age.

He certainly is disliked presumambly by non Celtic fans, he's been subject to a personal attack on the Great Western Road in Glasgow, and has received death threats, I don't ever remember any other Manager of Celtic or Rangers being subject to this kind of abuse. I am not saying that such behavoiur is acceptable, far from it, but it does highlight the strong feeling he can generate amongst certain people and that spills over into the general supporters and how they respond to each other.

The SFA are again talking about changing the league structure, but the 'Old Firm' have so much clout, the league will not change if there is any chance that the big two may have to share a proportion of the revenues that are generated by the Scottish Football League. The sooner they get back to teams playing each other home and away, plus cup matches, the better. If that means the big two playing at some smaller grounds so be it, it would be good for Scottish Football, and allow smaller clubs to develop and keep good players. But no doubt such sentiments are 'pie in the sky' and Scottish football will carry on being dominated by these two clubs who don't give a monkey's about the bigger picture.

I was under the impression that some of the other SPL clubs aren't keen on losing the revenue they generate from the additional fixtures against the Old Firm and are resistant to change too.

How on earth can a player (El Hadji Diouf) get a red card after the final whistle has been blown?

The referee's authority starts from the moment he arrives, until the moment he leaves the stadium.
Any player can be booked or red carded during that time.

There are perhaps three other clubs, small in comparison to the 'old firm', Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and they struggle to compete against the big two. The revenues are mainly derived from European Compititions and the other clubs rarely get a look in, TV money again Celtic and Rangers completly dominate. Sky invarible show the Celtic or Rangers game. This minimisation of other clubs has been happening for years to bolster the big two. They are simply not interested in Scottish Football. Their respective attempts to join the Premier League indicative of their attitude, no consideration given to which two English clubs would have to give way to allow this to happen, and if it was your club how would you feel ?

There are perhaps three other clubs, small in comparison to the 'old firm', Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and they struggle to compete against the big two. The revenues are mainly derived from European Compititions and the other clubs rarely get a look in, TV money again Celtic and Rangers completly dominate. Sky invarible show the Celtic or Rangers game. This minimisation of other clubs has been happening for years to bolster the big two. They are simply not interested in Scottish Football. Their respective attempts to join the Premier League indicative of their attitude, no consideration given to which two English clubs would have to give way to allow this to happen, and if it was your club how would you feel ?

A few years ago, they may have been able to fit into the Premier League, but they aren't actually good enough now, are they? Looking at each team's 'best' players, they all seem to be players who have either never played in the top tier of English football, or have 'failed' there in the past. If the trend continues, the gulf will only get bigger.

IMO, they would both fit in quite happily at the top end of the Championship if they actually joined the English leagues.

Why would either party want that though?

When the subject of Scotland's "Big Two" joining the English leagues came up earlier this season, quite a few supporters of other Scottish clubs said they'd be glad to see the back of them.

Both teams might have a large following, but it brings a lot of baggage with it.
The excuse of religion, is just that, an excuse.

Make 'em ground share, I say:icon_bigg

The referee's authority starts from the moment he arrives, until the moment he leaves the stadium.
Any player can be booked or red carded during that time.

I remember in an under 16 game my son was playing in where the Ref had a particularly bad game disallowed 2 of our goals from free-kicks and sent off one our players, where the arguments re-surfaced after the match.

We went past the Ref near the home team dressing room on the way to the cars when one of the lads, who had been booked, wouldn't let it drop and went over to argue further. At this point the Ref booked him again and thus issued him with a red card.
This nearly started further trouble and our manager had to drag away a number of players and parents from confronting the Ref!!

it's getting like baseball, where the manager gets sent to the stands and motivates the team to perform.
It's quality, i loved watching it last night, the only interesting thing that goes on in scottish football.

i loved watching it last night, the only interesting thing that goes on in scottish football.
Not true. Look at the other games from Wednesday:
SPL: St Johnstone 0 Aberdeen 0
Division 3: East Stirling 0 Albion Rovers 0

I think I've made my point.

it's getting like baseball, where the manager gets sent to the stands and motivates the team to perform.
It's quality, i loved watching it last night, the only interesting thing that goes on in scottish football.

Exactly - take away this and there would be nothing left in Scottish football worth discussing.....except how poor it is.

If Celtic/ Rangers were admitted to English football then their supporters would be on a mission at every away game and would cause mayhem. It would be a question of balancing out the increase in match revenue against the cost of damage and disorder.

The friendly between City and Glasgow Rangers in February 1967 produced one of the most keenly contested battles ever seen at Filbo. The Corby Huns beat the Pigs about 2000 bottles to nil.

Apparently there was a football match going on somewhere thereabouts, with the Doog scoring the winner for us. Don't remember that, though.

Scottish football, including the national side, are in the situation, because of the big two.Most of the executives in the SFA and the League have ties to one or the other club so there is little or no independence when decisions are made. Demands on smaller clubs have been excessive in terms of ground improvements, there is a 5000, all seater rule, many of the small clubs have simply opted out, and gone semi pro or totally amateur, to avoid this expense.
There is something up here called 'Junior Football', there is no English comparison, they are a professional organisation and are affilliated to the SFA, but are totally independent therefore not bound by the SFA rules. Some of these clubs get crowds much bigger than their league counterparts even those teams in the SPL, but these games receive little or no publicity so just looking at the league sides and the small crowds they get is not the whole picture.
The 'old firm' dominate with the number of their supporters, but even this is skewed. Queen of the South my 'home club' so to speak, can get 3 to 4000 at a home game, however almost the same number will leave the town to go to either Ibrox or Parkhead, and this pattern is replicated across Scotland, there is very little loyalty to your home town club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669