Open Ports in AVG Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

I need to open the following ports in my firewall settings to enable me to stream music:

Port Name Protocol Scope
2869 UPnP Framework TCP My network (subnet) only
1900 UPnP Framework UDP My network (subnet) only
10284 Windows Media Connect UDP My network (subnet) only
10283 Windows Media Connect UDP My network (subnet) only
10282 Windows Media Connect UDP My network (subnet) only
10281 Windows Media Connect UDP My network (subnet) only
10280 Windows Media Connect UDP My network (subnet) only
10243 Windows Media Connect TCP My network (subnet) only

Unfortunately I have not got the foggiest how I am able to reconfigure the AVG firewall so has anyone had to do this before or something similar using AVG.

Any help will be great. Thanks!

No idea how to configure AVG firewall, but I do know that some ISP's block certain ports going out, so you may not be able to stream outside you LAN or WAN

The first thing I'd do is turn off my firewall completely and see if it streams then. If it doesn't, the firewall isn't the issue.

I apologise if you've already done this

No idea how to configure AVG firewall, but I do know that some ISP's block certain ports going out, so you may not be able to stream outside you LAN or WAN

I am just streaming across my LAN so ISP would not be an issue. Cheers anyway!

The first thing I'd do is turn off my firewall completely and see if it streams then. If it doesn't, the firewall isn't the issue.

I apologise if you've already done this

Not tried this yet, will give it a whirl now!

Cheers both :038:

Cheers for the heads up Melton, it streams no problem when I disable the firewall, so it must be something to do with those ports, any ideas how to open them?

Or alternatively, do you think that the windows firewall is good enough to use that instead of the AVG firewall as I have instructions on how to open the ports with the Windows firewall. Is the AVG firewall much more secure than the standard XP one?

Cheers for the heads up Melton, it streams no problem when I disable the firewall, so it must be something to do with those ports, any ideas how to open them?

Or alternatively, do you think that the windows firewall is good enough to use that instead of the AVG firewall as I have instructions on how to open the ports with the Windows firewall. Is the AVG firewall much more secure than the standard XP one?
I use the AVG full version, but I don't use the firewall. Windows firewall is very good, my advice would be turn off AVG and use windows

Will the Windows firewall be enable automatically? I mean if its not active it will say that the computer is unprotected in the taskbar with that red shield thingy right?

Cheers for the help Melton.

Will the Windows firewall be enable automatically? I mean if its not active it will say that the computer is unprotected in the taskbar with that red shield thingy right?

Cheers for the help Melton.
Control Panel and left click Windows Firewall. This will tell you it's current status

I use the AVG full version, but I don't use the firewall. Windows firewall is very good, my advice would be turn off AVG and use windows

I couldn't disagree more with that Melton , I think it is a disease ridden pox of a firewall.

I use the standard vista defender thats all, my router has a built in firewall which holds me in good stead. Most seem to now days

Unfortunately I have not got the foggiest how I am able to reconfigure the AVG firewall so has anyone had to do this before or something similar using AVG.

Any help will be great. Thanks!

The Grisoft site wasn't much help when I looked, but I'll install it onto one of my PCs & see if I can figure it out.

The Grisoft site wasn't much help when I looked, but I'll install it onto one of my PCs & see if I can figure it out.

Thats great craic Macky, cheers! ;) :icon_lol:

Thats great craic Macky, cheers! ;) :icon_lol:

You really craic me up, you're absolutely craicers you really are.

Ok, the crack is, I've installed it on one of my work PCs and have had a play around with it, AVG that is, I have to say it isn't the easist to forward ports on but see if you can follow this:

double click on the AVG systray icon to open the control centre; from the View menu select 'Extended mode'; inside the main window you should then see tiles for each of the options (anti-virus, firewall, updater, scheduler etc) left click Firewall tile so that it is highlighted, then click on the Configure button at the very bottom of the window;
Firewall configuration window will then open, select 'Applications' tab;
You can only open ports for a specific application so look for the program that you are going to use in the list & double click on it, if it isn't in the list you'll have to manually add it;
in the applications Properties wimdow, select 'Advanced Configuration' from the 'Action' drop down menu, this will display the services used by the application; Double click on the Services list; then for each service, leftclick to highlight then click on 'Edit Service' button; then in Service Properties use the ADD or Edit Service buttons & you can enter in the port numbers in the popup box.

HTH

You really craic me up, you're absolutely craicers you really are.

Ok, the crack is, I've installed it on one of my work PCs and have had a play around with it, AVG that is, I have to say it isn't the easist to forward ports on but see if you can follow this:

double click on the AVG systray icon to open the control centre; from the View menu select 'Extended mode'; inside the main window you should then see tiles for each of the options (anti-virus, firewall, updater, scheduler etc) left click Firewall tile so that it is highlighted, then click on the Configure button at the very bottom of the window;
Firewall configuration window will then open, select 'Applications' tab;
You can only open ports for a specific application so look for the program that you are going to use in the list & double click on it, if it isn't in the list you'll have to manually add it;
in the applications Properties wimdow, select 'Advanced Configuration' from the 'Action' drop down menu, this will display the services used by the application; Double click on the Services list; then for each service, leftclick to highlight then click on 'Edit Service' button; then in Service Properties use the ADD or Edit Service buttons & you can enter in the port numbers in the popup box.

HTH

:038:

Thanks a lot mate, will let you know in a couple of weeks how I got on because I'm back in Leicester now and haven't got a LAN at home so it is not possible to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363