Over three people involved in Oadby protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
More or less what Macky said. It's fair to say that many atheists do not even consider the god idea to be a delusion at all, but rather a different interpretation of the same information. There's a common misconception that 'agnostic' is some middle of the road compromise between the two, but it isn't. There are gnostic and agnostic theists, and gnostic and agnostic atheists.

Not all atheists believe that everything in the universe has a scientific explanation. Not all of them even believe in established facts. I'm in an atheist group on Facebook. Among our 14,000+ members we have anti-vaxxers, followers of several varieties of nonsense (eg homeopathy, angels, karma), anti-feminism arseholes, climate change deniers, even the occasional homophobe or Holocaust denier (though they last about four seconds beyond the moment we sniff them out). If we've done our job right, none of these people are theists.

Um, isn't the proposition that God/gods exist a dieist rather than theist one?

Broadly speaking, deism is characterised by the belief that a god created the universe but does not interfere with it. Deists, not being attached to any religion, are pretty much free to make up whatever beliefs they want.

I do too. I've seen thousands of them. They definitely exist.
But do you worship them? Are you flogging yourself to please them? Do you go on a pilgrimage for them? Would you go to war for them? Are you praying to them every evening? If not, you're not a true believer.

Sorry to hear about you sister, David. Although it must have been many years ago, I'm sure it's still a hard thing to live with.

Interesting discussion in here though.

There's a common misconception that 'agnostic' is some middle of the road compromise between the two, but it isn't. There are gnostic and agnostic theists, and gnostic and agnostic atheists.
I have yet to meet a self-declared agnostic that didn't turn out to also be an atheist.

But do you worship them? Are you flogging yourself to please them? Do you go on a pilgrimage for them? Would you go to war for them? Are you praying to them every evening? If not, you're not a true believer.
Well, not flogging as such...

You've all made Lickle Baby Jebus cry

I hope you're all pleased with yourselves

I have yet to meet a self-declared agnostic that didn't turn out to also be an atheist.
I've come across a number of admitted agnostic theists. Pascal's wager. Many theists and atheists alike are agnostic really, but they just don't understand the real meaning of the word so they don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669