Oxford United 1-1 Leicester city (Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this strange? Almost all of the top teams in Europe do this nowadays, so their wingers can cut inside. Lionel Messi is left-footed and plays on the right-wing for Barcelona, I'm led to believe that seems to work quite well. :102:

I reckon he could do a job here.

Seeing the game yesterday, and seeing Adams at right back didn't fill me confidence. He just isn't a defender, and looks nowhere near as good as Berner does at left back. The way I see it is this: are we really going to achieve promotion with a team that includes Nicky Adams at right back?

The formation that they started out with was quite strange as well. When I heard the line up, with three strikers, I thought it must be a 4-3-3. However, once it got going, it was very clear that DJ Campbell was playing as a left winger and Lloyd Dyer was on the right, which I thought was a bit strange, since he's left-footed.

I'd say Hobbs was man of the match, with good performances also coming from Berner, Morrison, and Dyer. Fryatt and Howard were largely unimpressive. DJ Campbell did all he could in the position he was in, and the free kick was a pleasant surprise really.

I was at the game yesterday too and I'd agree with all of this.

:038:

Indeed. I think some people see the word "friendly" and instead of thinking "training game" they think "must win do-or-die against the Oxford SCUM". The same people are probably deeply unhappy with most things in their lives, so let's just ignore them, eh?

Indeed. I think some people see the word "friendly" and instead of thinking "training game" they think "must win do-or-die against the Oxford SCUM". The same people are probably deeply unhappy with most things in their lives, so let's just ignore them, eh?

Ive been having this discussion (in a fashion) with my Sunday league footballers, we had a training match against a bunch of lads we just chucked together the other week (it was 10 v 10 for fecks sake) and although we won 5-2 a few of the lads have been moaning about the performance, as I pointed out to them we tried lots of different things out and it was more about getting match fitness as anything else, I don't read anything into pre-season, it is an indicator of nothing.

How is this strange? Almost all of the top teams in Europe do this nowadays, so their wingers can cut inside. Lionel Messi is left-footed and plays on the right-wing for Barcelona, I'm led to believe that seems to work quite well. :102:

I see your point, but the validity of it is questionable. The trouble is you are talking about top players in top teams. Those players have oodles of natural ability. They can change positions and still be better than their competitors.

The difficulty with average players is that they do not have the over-abundance of talent that Lionel Messi and other top players have and thus in some senses it is more important to keep them in their natural position because the smaller amount of natural talent they have means it is further lessened by playing where they are not at their best.

It can work of course with some players, but there are many examples where it does not work. The reality is I think that cash-strapped clubs juggle people about out of financial expediency. If you have too many midfielders and a gap in right back provision it makes sense to try and 'convert' one of your fringe midfield players.

I see your point, but the validity of it is questionable. The trouble is you are talking about top players in top teams. Those players have oodles of natural ability. They can change positions and still be better than their competitors.

The difficulty with average players is that they do not have the over-abundance of talent that Lionel Messi and other top players have and thus in some senses it is more important to keep them in their natural position because the smaller amount of natural talent they have means it is further lessened by playing where they are not at their best.

It can work of course with some players, but there are many examples where it does not work. The reality is I think that cash-strapped clubs juggle people about out of financial expediency. If you have too many midfielders and a gap in right back provision it makes sense to try and 'convert' one of your fringe midfield players.

Are you saying Messi's better than Lloyd Dyer?

I'm not sure there's any problem with it though, it may take Dyer a while to adapt, but I think cutting inside could suit him. I certainly wouldn't call it a strange decision.

And I don't think playing outside your natural position is any less or more important with the quality of the player. Look how ineffective Messi was in the World Cup when used as a trequartista.

I'm not sure there's any problem with it though, it may take Dyer a while to adapt, but I think cutting inside could suit him. I certainly wouldn't call it a strange decision.

And I don't think playing outside your natural position is any less or more important with the quality of the player. Look how ineffective Messi was in the World Cup when used as a trequartista.

Made up word.

Made up word.

You've never watched any Italian or South American football then? :102: It's a pretty common one. It was Maradona's position.

Last edited:
I thought a trequartista was Argentinian for a transvestite, transexual, bisexual, quadraplegic.
There's one living in st mathews estate with a grant from Leicester City Council.
Go check with him/her.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it was Argentinian for anything.

Last edited:
I thought a trequartista was Argentinian for a transvestite, transexual, bisexual, quadraplegic.
There's one living in st mathews estate with a grant from Leicester City Council.
Go check with him/her.

:038: :icon_lol:

Yeah, it's basically a second striker but with more of a free role and having no real onus to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669