Paul Gascoigne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard is a bad example really as he has not even come close to wrecking his career. Barton is just an example of a mediocre player having far too much money. Nothing like Gazza.
Those were the first two names out the hat, although his club said he was given permission to go out and drink.
I could have mentioned Chopra and his drink / gambling problems, although it would probably be more relevant to suggest that the modern footballer is now better placed to buy more expensive drugs which would bring in the likes of Mutu and Shaun Newton.
I suppose my point is that bad behaviour will occur no matter how much the club guides players or how much they earn, and that it is the players responsibility full stop.
Making excuses for them is just enabling their continued abuse, and it is a failing in modern society that we give so much attention to poor behaviour, glorify it, try to understand and sympathise, and fail to punish it properly.

Those were the first two names out the hat, although his club said he was given permission to go out and drink.
I could have mentioned Chopra and his drink / gambling problems, although it would probably be more relevant to suggest that the modern footballer is now better placed to buy more expensive drugs which would bring in the likes of Mutu and Shaun Newton.
I suppose my point is that bad behaviour will occur no matter how much the club guides players or how much they earn, and that it is the players responsibility full stop.
Making excuses for them is just enabling their continued abuse, and it is a failing in modern society that we give so much attention to poor behaviour, glorify it, try to understand and sympathise, and fail to punish it properly.

Unfortunately it's nearly always the case that an extremely talented individual will have an equally flawed side to their personality.

Gazza, fits fairly and squarely into this category.

I do agree with what you're saying Rhydal, completely. All I am saying is that Paul Gascoigne is quite unique in that he was pretty much the first millionnaire sensation. Mutu, Shaun Newton, Chopra, Etherington, Carroll.....all of these players are mediocre really in comparison to what was levelled at Gazza in his day. Gazza was a young man earning more than almost all of his peers. I'm not saying that he wasn't a wanker or that he isn't blameless but maybe if he was playing in today's game he might have had a bit more support and followed a different route. Then again he may have still been a ****.

Unfortunately it's nearly always the case that an extremely talented individual will have an equally flawed side to their personality.

Gazza, fits fairly and squarely into this category.

Not really true that, is it ?

Oh right. That will make up for the times he headbutted his ex wife and broke her fingers, beat up his kids and in general made their lives hell. :102:

Did you actually watch the documentry? The sad fact is they all still love him despite everthing he has done to them. He couldn't even remember his own son when he called him.

I think that some may have a rose tinted view of the scumbag because he was a great footballer.

I'm not old enough to remember him when he was any good and so dont have a rose tinted view.

And Im not saying the money makes up for what he has done, but they have sold stories about him for the last 20 years and made a lot of money from being the poor family.

I completely agree that what he has done to his family is disgusting and should never be forgiven, but how is making a documentary about him going to help? It helps by them picking up a healthy wedge of cash.

As for them stating they still love him they have also stated that they hate him, so who is to say which is true?

There are other celebrities that have gone through similar problems and yet their families haven't agreed to make a documentary about it.

Last edited:
A lot of his problems stem from the fact that the only thing he loved was football, and the only thing that loved him in the way he wanted to be loved was football. As soon as he was unable to play, whether through injury, age, suspension etc, that was when he needed something else to fill the gap and the only thing that could do it was booze.

I read his book a couple of years back and it was a very sad and disturbing story.

No-one can condone his (often violent) actions towards the people closest to him, but everyone around him has to take some responsibility for developing and hyping up the creature that became Gazza the animal, rather than leaving him as Paul Gascoigne the footballer.

Nearly always the case? For every short list of Gascoignes, Maradonnas and Bests there is an exponentially larger list of Peles, Cruyffs, Beckenbauers, Charltons, Shearers, Zidanes, Platinis who earned significant amounts of cash and, to my knowledge, only have erectile disfunction as a flaw.

Last edited:
Nearly always the case? For every short list of Gascoignes, Maradonnas and Bests there is an exponentially larger list of Peles, Cruyffs, Beckenbauers, Charltons, Shearers, Zidanes, Platinis who earned significant amounts of cash and, to my knowledge, only have erectile disfunction as a flaw.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

And headbutting people on the biggest stage in the world?

For every short list of Peles, Cruyffs, Beckenbauers, Charltons, Shearers, Zidanes and Platinis there's an exponentially larger list of Gascoignes, Maradonnas, Bests, Cantonas, Worthingtons, Penants, Mersons, Adams, Fashanus, Woodgates, Bowyers, Gerrards and Bartons.

bosnich was a coke head too wasn't he?

For every short list of Peles, Cruyffs, Beckenbauers, Charltons, Shearers, Zidanes and Platinis there's an exponentially larger list of Gascoignes, Maradonnas, Bests, Cantonas, Worthingtons, Penants, Mersons, Adams, Fashanus, Woodgates, Bowyers, Gerrards and Bartons.

But that's simply not true :icon_roll

There are hundreds, if not thousands of footballers that are the equal of Merson, Penant, Fashanu, Bowyer and Barton - none of whom have any known 'flawed side to their personality'

Not to mention the many thousands of exceptionally gifted sportsman from every and any other sport you can think of

You are talking complete cobblers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00