Paul Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad, unfortunately its one of those cancers you rarely recover from. RIP Paul Hunter.

BBC said:
Paul Hunter has died at the age of 27 after a battle with cancer.
The Leeds player was taken into the Kirkwood Hospice in Huddersfield last Friday and died on Monday evening.

The three-time Wembley Masters champion was diagnosed with dozens of neuro endocrine tumours on the lining of his stomach in March 2005.

Despite chemotherapy treatment, Hunter continued to compete professionally but won only one match last season and fell from fifth to 34th in the rankings.

Hunter turned professional at the age of 16 in 1995 and won his first major title, the 1998 Welsh Open, at the age of 19.

He also won the Welsh title in 2002 and picked up the British Open trophy the same year but he will be best remembered for his exploits at Wembley.

Hunter recovered from 7-3 down to beat Fergal O'Brien 10-9 in the 2001 final and fought back from 5-0 to beat Mark Williams 10-9 in the final a year later.

He completed a hat-trick of Masters victories in 2004 when he came from 7-2 down to beat Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-9.

Hunter's best World Championship performance was reaching the semi-finals in 2003, where he led Ken Doherty 15-9 before the Irishman stormed back to win 17-16.

Hunter would have been 28 on Saturday. He leaves a wife, Lindsey, and a daughter, Evie Rose, who was born on Boxing Day of last year.

Quality player will be a big miss

Very sad news, as a massive snooker fan it is very upsetting for me. Hunter was one of my favourite players.

RIP Paul :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

Very sad, I was under the impression that his cancer was under control. How wrong can you be

he was on the death list

see you paul, you seemed like a top bloke

Too many sportsman have died this year
And so have too many doctors, nurses, charity workers etc, but these people do not get the time of day from us members of the public. These people contribute more to the life of others and doing good than any sportsman ever will.

Last edited:
And so have too many doctors, nurses, charity workers etc, but these people do not get the time of day from us members of the public. These people contribute more to the life of others and doing good than any sportsman ever will.

So have many unemployed people, factory workers, office workers etc. etc. Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they are a better person than anyone else

It's a tragedy to lose someone at that age, regardless of who they are - this thread is about that more than anything else

So have many unemployed people, factory workers, office workers etc. etc. Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they are a better person than anyone else

It's a tragedy to lose someone at that age, regardless of who they are - this thread is about that more than anything else
Agreed, I never said that though, my stament was a brief comment about those that directly contribute towards the life of others.

I wasn't belittling the death of anybody nor was I commenting on who is a better person and why

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00