PC buying advice wanted - pretty please :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Anybody able to offer a bit of PC advice?

Got the choice of two similar specifications machines, one with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and the other with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor. Both selling for around £300.

All other things being equal, which would be the best to go for? Don't do gaming, the thing I really want is quietness of operation.

Or, would it be worth paying an extra £100 for a slightly lower featured PC (smaller HD etc) that has an AMD Phenon processor?

Thanks for any (good) advice.

M17TT C

I would have thought that quietness of operations would have been down to the fans and heat sink. The fans are what make the noise and the heat sink cools the parts down so the fans don't need to be on full all the time.

I may be completely wrong about that, but in my world that seems quite logical!

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more, it probs would depend on the processor, ie some use more power than others, so I would probs completely ignore what I wrote and wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to come about! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Matt_B

From what I have heard Core2Duo are very prone to getting very hot, so will require more fan action = more noise. Don't know much about the AMD though.

Core2Duo are very fast

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
From what I have heard Core2Duo are very prone to getting very hot, so will require more fan action = more noise. Don't know much about the AMD though.

Core2Duo are very fast

My laptop has an Intel Centrino Core2Duo processor. It is very quiet although it does have an additional fan which is switched on by thermostat *very* occasionally - i.e. not every day. Even that is not what I would call noisy.

Orifice

My previous PC had an AMD Athlon (I've always used AMD) and it run hot needing propper cooling/fans.
I gather that Intels of similar capabilities are cooler running and don't need as much in the way of fans/big heat sinks.

Feriol

My previous PC had an AMD Athlon (I've always used AMD) and it run hot needing propper cooling/fans.
I gather that Intels of similar capabilities are cooler running and don't need as much in the way of fans/big heat sinks.

Traditionally thats true, AMD always pushed there processors a little harder and therefore hotter, to try and keep up with Intel on performance. Nowadays though they are both about the same.

Far more important to consider for heat related noise will be the graphics card, i'm going to assume at that price they are onboard? what chips are in each system?

spionfox

Steven

Anybody able to offer a bit of PC advice?

Got the choice of two similar specifications machines, one with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and the other with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor. Both selling for around £300.

All other things being equal, which would be the best to go for? Don't do gaming, the thing I really want is quietness of operation.

Or, would it be worth paying an extra £100 for a slightly lower featured PC (smaller HD etc) that has an AMD Phenon processor?

Thanks for any (good) advice.

Why are you buying this particular PC? I mean by that what purpose are you looking to use it for? If I read the specs it is not your bog standard PC. :102: :icon_conf

Beliall

i got a core 2 duo, its a noisy bast**d

Feriol

Graphics type says 'tbc' so i can't comment. Being a full tower is a good thing though, there should be more room inside for air to flow which will help cooling. Normally i would recommend removing any of the plates from unused slots, but opening the box might void your warranty.

The PSU will be a cheap one though and very noisy, if your really fussy invest in a quiet one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669