Player ratings vs. Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky

Henderson - flapped, can't kick 5

Maybury - gave the ball away too easily and played williams into trouble nearly leading to a palace goal 6

Kisnorbo - first time i've seen him play at centre back. outstanding all night apart from missing one header. calm, collected, passed well, tackled well. premiership centreback 9 (MOTM)

McCarthy - again outstanding. not quite the refined display of kisnorbo but was very impressive 8

Nissa - for a centre back at left back I thought he played very played. covered the back post well and 'did a job' for us. 7

Hughes - in and out of the game. not a massive impact player (apart from the goal) but kept the ball nicely. 7

Gudjohnsen - worked hard. won tackles. did give the ball away a fair bit but never stopped running. 7

Williams - no problems with this lads work rate. tackled too. one bit of premiership class for the opening goal. 7

Welsh - direct running provided an outlet but no real end product. was unlucky on a couple of occasions when he should have had free kicks. 7

Fryatt - worked his socks off all game and had little service. he must have alot of patience because there were very few balls played into his feet - this guy has ability but must have better service. one bit of class for the second goal. 7

Hume - liked what i saw. again like fryatt he worked so hard. shows real ability on the ball but didn't get the service his work-rate deserved. Linked up the play well - considering the support he got. 8

Sylla - N/a

I thought Williams was a waste of space bar two good passes, otherwise agree totally Micky.

alex said:
I thought Williams was a waste of space bar two good passes, otherwise agree totally Micky.

I thought Williams played well last night. The trouble is he has a pass go astray and some of our fans think thats all hes done and thats all they remember. He got in some god tackles and won the ball on quite a few occasions.

The only player last night I was worried about was the goalkeeper, but then again he didnt do a bad job.

Lets hope we can get Kelly tied down to a good contract and keep this going into next season. 27 points out of 33..........CL 2 points out of 33 says it all..

Williams defo played one of his better games last night, but in Williams and Hughes we have the 2 most lightweight midfeilders in the division, if not the whole league. They both need to bulk up

Williams certainly outshone Joey last night, all the defence was solid apart from Hendos kicking, id give Matty MOTM for the attacking spark we lacked earlier in the season.
Set for a boring Saturday now!. aprt from Derby sealing our safety.

Boy Genius said:
I thought Williams played well last night. The trouble is he has a pass go astray and some of our fans think thats all hes done and thats all they remember. He got in some god tackles and won the ball on quite a few occasions.

The only player last night I was worried about was the goalkeeper, but then again he didnt do a bad job.

Lets hope we can get Kelly tied down to a good contract and keep this going into next season. 27 points out of 33..........CL 2 points out of 33 says it all..

its 24 out of 36 points...............what a twat!

i also thought williams was pretty good last night, produced some good passes and touches and actually worked hard and got stuck in which he doesnt always do. to say he was a waste of space is really harsh IMO.

welsh looks pretty good as well, wouldnt mind if we were able to keep him - looks like the first winger we've had in ages (apart from smith perhaps) who actually seems to have the confidence run with the ball at defenders

alex said:

I do not understand the anti-Williams sentiment. :102: :102: :102:

Don't get down from Aberdeen to see them live too much, but watched on the TV last night..

Hendo - 6 Not comfortable for crosses when under pressure, but did most other things ok

Maybs - 7 Good game overall and covered centre backs well when needed. Two potential goal saving cover tackles and one mistake (pass to Williams) that nearly gave them a goal

McCarthy - 8 Very solid game, Palace created very little

Kisnorbo - 8 Excellent game, just one bad mistake when he missed that header

Johansson - 7 I thought he had a solid game, messed up when he got through to their penalty box

Hughes - 6 I thought he had a very quiet game and was very lightweight. Perversley he appeared to get better when he moved to the left.

Gudjohnsson - 5 Ran around a lot but had little impact on the game. We need a real ball winner if we play Williams and Hughes, and maybe Weso could be an answer if he gets properly fit. Has obviously played far better in the past

Williams - 7 I thought he had a good game and actually put some tackles and work rate in last night

Welsh - 7 Solid outlet on the left. His confidence could improve with more games

Fryatt - 7 Did not have enough good ball, but was quality whenever he had a touch - really impressed

Hume - 7 Not the same quality as Fryatt, but his work rate was immense. I saw him against Norwich (at Walkers) and he was poor - looked a much better player last night

Last edited:
Boy Genius said:

I'm not a Williams fan but I thought he did well last night.I prefer Douglas to Henderson but I'd prefer a new Keeper to both of them.

Henderson 5 - Good stopper. Frightens me when he come high balls. Can't catch confidently and his punches are awful. Kicking inconsistent.

Maybury 6 - Did ok. Had some terrible moments as well as some good one's. Luckily the bad ones did cost us.

Kisnorbo 8 - Revelation since CL left. Had a couple of errors but was outstanding alongside Paddy Mc.

McCarthy 8 - Bet Johnson won't want to face him again. Made him look ordinary.

Johansson 6 - Did ok. Still not a left back.

Hughes 7 - Worked hard, got into good positions and dragged defenders about the field even off the ball.

Gudjonsson 6 - Not one his best games, did work hard.

Williams 7 - Did very well in the first half, disappeared a bit in the second.

Welsh 7 - Impressed. Some of his runs were very good. Palace defenders did quite well at times to stop him getting crosses after he worked himself into a good position at the bye line.

Hume 7 - Work so hard. His legs seem to be getting stronger and he keeps it up till the end.

Fryatt 7 - Hassled the defenders well, dragged them around, showed how skillful he is by creating the Hughes goal.

Sylla 4 - Did have much time to impress and the time he was on the field he looked as though he didn't want to impress. Bye,bye Momo sure you can find somewhere in the sun to relax during a match.

Overall good team effort with the perfect result, god knows what we would have done if we had been on top form. Time to offer the job to Kelly and lets give him enough time prepare for next season.

I guess he just frustrates me, but he was non-present for me bar a couple of passes, but then so was Joey...Wish Hughes played in the middle...

Williams had as gooder game as I have seen from him in a City shirt last night. I haven't been a fan of his but he is starting to put some good performances together now. His workrate seems to have improved and he at least tries to get a foot in now. He is by far the best footballer at the club IMO but he has lacked application previously, glad the penny seems to have dropped!!

It was also interesting watching the game back on Sky+ this morning that RK made a point of going straight to GW at the final whistle. It seems he is trying to build GW back up after the Levein era.

Rob Kelly must be confident with Williams' defending. I noticed at every corner against us he was at the near post :icon_conf

On the cynical side, Williams began to play better as the Christmas transfer window opened and then tailed off again. Only 4 games left, and he is improving again, Coincidence?

Last edited:
Henderson 5 - Not convincing, and does seem to cause mass panic every time he goes for a cross, but at the moment we seem to be getting results and defensively we do look stronger but he isnt solid enough IMO.

Maybury 7 - Did ok, and we certainly didnt seem to miss Stearman too much, fairly solid performance.

Johansson 7 - Another decent game by Nils, who does seem to be getting better and better in that position.

Kisnorbo 8 - Has been a revelation at centre half and played his part in keeping arguably the best striker in the division quiet.

McCarthy 8 - Another great performance by the skipper who is maturing into a very good player, IMO his partnership with Kisnorbo is as strong as any at this level.

Hughes 7 - In and out of the game but work rate was good and he kept the shape and balance well. Now starting to score goals which is promising.

Gudjonsson 6 - IMO not the best game Joey has had, but his commitment has been excellent especially when he has already agreed to join a new club.

Williams 7.5 - Played very well, his distribution was neat and tidy and the vision in some of his passes were first class, I was impressed by his work rate and commitment, and it is obvious that he is working hard on those areas and that is too his credit, excellent tackle and pass to set up the first goal, now starting to show his quality.

Welsh 7 - Decent outlet on the left, gave us more balance and attacking options. Goal will have done his confidence a world of good.

Fryatt 7 - Another good performance from Matty, could do with a goal to get a little run going, but his team play is superb.

Hume 7 - Real little firecracker and his partnership with Fryatt is exciting and unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566