Police close Oadby high street

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

The Parade in Oadby was closed off earlier by police due to a 'suspicious package'. Shops told to close up early and everyone to clear the area.

Apparently somebody left a package in the Air Ambulance charity shop with 'DON'T OPEN - BOMB' written on it,

I was trying to get to the Leeja to meet friends for a curry. Police were most helpful. One bloke said he was trying to get to his mum's house at the other end of Chesnut Avenue as she's in her eighties and would be terrified by all the flashing blue lights and commotion. PC Dick said "If you take one more step I will arrest you".

They closed the entire centre, Wetherspoons sent all their bar staff home! Had to walk down to the Wheel for a pint. All; clear about 7. Exciting.

I was trying to get to the Leeja to meet friends for a curry. Police were most helpful. One bloke said he was trying to get to his mum's house at the other end of Chesnut Avenue as she's in her eighties and would be terrified by all the flashing blue lights and commotion. PC Dick said "If you take one more step I will arrest you".

They closed the entire centre, Wetherspoons sent all their bar staff home! Had to walk down to the Wheel for a pint. All; clear about 7. Exciting.

I suppose the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't - but they do need to get organised more.

The original advice to shopkeepers was to consider closing up. That advice changed soon after to 'get the **** out of here'. Also, the size of the area that had to be cordoned off changed regularly as the 'powers that be' kept revising their thoughts.

Better safe than sorry, yes of course. But it's a shame that some stupid **** with a marker pan and a twisted sense of humour can bring a High Street to its knees so easily.

I suppose the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't - but they do need to get organised more.

The original advice to shopkeepers was to consider closing up. That advice changed soon after to 'get the **** out of here'. Also, the size of the area that had to be cordoned off changed regularly as the 'powers that be' kept revising their thoughts.

Better safe than sorry, yes of course. But it's a shame that some stupid **** with a marker pan and a twisted sense of humour can bring a High Street to its knees so easily.

I fail to see how that precludes common sense.

You are saying that in a bomb threat situation, police should allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to wander through if they have a story about their mum? I really hope you're not.

Common sense would tell me that a brown cardboard box outside a charity shop in an unremarkable suburb with the word 'BOMB' handwritten on it was probably not the work of Al Qaeda. It may be the last thing I thought before blown to kingdom come mind................

You are saying that in a bomb threat situation, police should allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to wander through if they have a story about their mum? I really hope you're not.

Where is the threat? Any article with the word "bomb" scrawled on it is now a bomb threat? :icon_roll

Where is the threat? Any article with the word "bomb" scrawled on it is now a bomb threat? :icon_roll

Sorry I didn't realise it was just an article with the word bomb on it. I thought it was a package indicating clearly that it was a bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669