Positive thinking from Joe_Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Anyone remember this:

MON.jpg

Yes, correct, it was the season when Martin O'Neill stepped in after his predecessor stepped down. (and went to Wolves, tsk) and performed a miracle by getting our beloved football club promoted against all the odds.

I'll always remember Muzzy's header against Watford on the last day of the season which got us into 6th place. I'll also remember some of our fans singing the oh so ridiculous to think of "F*** Off Martin O'Neill" to the tune of Pet Shop Boys' 'Go West'. Before all this took place we were left hunting for a new manager. The air around the club was very similar to that of today (and the foreseeable future).

It was an uneasy time although what blossomed was a truly euphoric time. Our most successful period in our history was basically the bastard child of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Mark McGhee's sordid little affair but at the end of the day, none of us really care about that. We were the proudest team in the country; we were Leicester City FC, who for a while truly were the greatest team the world had ever seen. Alas, all good things must come to an end and we now face a new era.

By using our experience in these situations we can hopefully mould something similar to what happened the last time this happened. If we can get anywhere near the highs of the 1995/96 season then I for one will be on top of the world. That season produced what I would consider the most memorable end of season events of my time, even more memorable than Tony James' last gasp winner that saved our division 2 status.

For the very young amongst you, after Muzzy's header at Watford we had to endure a nervous 0-0 at home to Stoke followed by a liquid football performance at the Victoria Ground which ended with a rather threatening pitch invasion after Garry Parker exquisitely volleyed home a Heskey cross. Then to Wembley to witness one of the finest LCFC performances ever. We will always remember Steve Claridge's last minute, even last second winner. This was as happy as I've been, probably ever will be. Martin O'Neill and his band of brothers had achieved the impossible. It was all aboard the Premiership boat again and this time we reached the Docks of Safety and during this epic voyage we visited many exotic places picking up two mermaids along the way (named Coca-Cola and Worthington).

We also captured the uses of many an able ship mate, Stan Collymore was surely the most natural of them all. Unfortunately our tenancy in the Docks of Safety ran out and the trout Peter Taylor sank our ship only for excellent mariner Micky Adams to save our boat, call in a favour at the docks and almost make it stick. We are now stranded at sea with the threat of scurvy taking hold and damaging our crew. In the next few weeks I am sure we will see if Micky Adams will join a 'better' club, if he does then he has my best wishes although we will be left with the bastard offspring of a "Southampton (or other)/Micky Adams affair.

Surely comparisons must be drawn to that great season. When it all seemed useless we rose from the ashes of mediocrity to hold the sacred chalice of success. Let's just hope and pray we can rekindle some of the magic and get the engine firing again.

Thank you

Joe_Fox

very well said joe. you're right we seem to be in a very similar position and reaching anywhere near the heights of that season would have us all up in the air screaming our heads off.

Martin O'neil performed near miracles for our club and if anyone can even put us within touching distance of our times with him then it'd surely give us all high hopes for the future.

We can only wait and pray - just dont forget, Leicester City do things the hard way so maybe micky getting us automatic promotion was an omen of what was to come.

Pretentious. :roll:

Steven said:

I cannot for one reason see how hope is pretentious.

Joe_Fox said:
Steven said:

pre·ten·tious ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-tnshs) adj.

Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious

Hope is not, but your prose style certainly is. :wink:

Steven said:
Joe_Fox said:
Steven said:

Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

Patronising? :lol: :lol: :wink:

EMC Fox said:
Steven said:
Joe_Fox said:
Steven said:

patronising

adj : (used of behavior or attitude) characteristic of those who treat others with condescension

con·de·scen·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knd-snshn)
n.
The act of condescending or an instance of it.
Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.

Not really. More the sense that I saw this over the top piece of writing and I passed comment on it. :wink:

Steven said:
EMC Fox said:
Steven said:
Joe_Fox said:
Steven said:

patronising

adj : (used of behavior or attitude) characteristic of those who treat others with condescension

con·de·scen·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knd-snshn)
n.
The act of condescending or an instance of it.
Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.

:lol: :lol: That made me laugh. Cheers Steven. it was actually supposed to be way way over the top, that's what the aim was. I'm glad you realised.

Joe_Fox said:
Anyone remember this:

MON.jpg

Yes, correct, it was the season when Martin O'Neill stepped in after his predecessor stepped down. (and went to Wolves, tsk) and performed a miracle by getting our beloved football club promoted against all the odds.

I'll always remember Muzzy's header against Watford on the last day of the season which got us into 6th place. I'll also remember some of our fans singing the oh so ridiculous to think of "F*** Off Martin O'Neill" to the tune of Pet Shop Boys' 'Go West'. Before all this took place we were left hunting for a new manager. The air around the club was very similar to that of today (and the foreseeable future).

It was an uneasy time although what blossomed was a truly euphoric time. Our most successful period in our history was basically the bastard child of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Mark McGhee's sordid little affair but at the end of the day, none of us really care about that. We were the proudest team in the country; we were Leicester City FC, who for a while truly were the greatest team the world had ever seen. Alas, all good things must come to an end and we now face a new era.

By using our experience in these situations we can hopefully mould something similar to what happened the last time this happened. If we can get anywhere near the highs of the 1995/96 season then I for one will be on top of the world. That season produced what I would consider the most memorable end of season events of my time, even more memorable than Tony James' last gasp winner that saved our division 2 status.

For the very young amongst you, after Muzzy's header at Watford we had to endure a nervous 0-0 at home to Stoke followed by a liquid football performance at the Victoria Ground which ended with a rather threatening pitch invasion after Garry Parker exquisitely volleyed home a Heskey cross. Then to Wembley to witness one of the finest LCFC performances ever. We will always remember Steve Claridge's last minute, even last second winner. This was as happy as I've been, probably ever will be. Martin O'Neill and his band of brothers had achieved the impossible. It was all aboard the Premiership boat again and this time we reached the Docks of Safety and during this epic voyage we visited many exotic places picking up two mermaids along the way (named Coca-Cola and Worthington).

We also captured the uses of many an able ship mate, Stan Collymore was surely the most natural of them all. Unfortunately our tenancy in the Docks of Safety ran out and the trout Peter Taylor sank our ship only for excellent mariner Micky Adams to save our boat, call in a favour at the docks and almost make it stick. We are now stranded at sea with the threat of scurvy taking hold and damaging our crew. In the next few weeks I am sure we will see if Micky Adams will join a 'better' club, if he does then he has my best wishes although we will be left with the bastard offspring of a "Southampton (or other)/Micky Adams affair.

Surely comparisons must be drawn to that great season. When it all seemed useless we rose from the ashes of mediocrity to hold the sacred chalice of success. Let's just hope and pray we can rekindle some of the magic and get the engine firing again.

Thank you

Joe_Fox

Newell, Newell, Newell, Newell ... born is the ma-an to make us do well. :lol:

i dont remember that far back you really are a true leicester fan if you remember that season well done to you

30th March 1996, remember it well have never felt more ashamed to be a Leicester fan, he NEVER forgave !

didn't we sneak into 5th not 6th? cracking end to the season. kevin poole's save at the far post in the 0-0 stoke game was one of the best i've seen from a leicester goalie.

so now all we need joe is another MON to come along!!! :)

SamuearlJackson said:
didn't we sneak into 5th not 6th? cracking end to the season. kevin poole's save at the far post in the 0-0 stoke game was one of the best i've seen from a leicester goalie.

so now all we need joe is another MON to come along!!! :)

Ah yes, Samuel, well spotted, I thought the fixtures/results page had got it wrong. I knew we had only just scraped into the play-offs but also knew for a fact that we played Stoke. If you look at this link you will see how I made the mistake. Either LCFC are in the wrong position or Stoke are. Sorry for any confusion, it really wasn't my fault.

As for step's comments - bothered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570