Prediction League - Prem, Fizzy and Chumps and other matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
With just three Prediction League fixtures to go before the end of the current season, I think it is about time I made an announcement about how teams will be assimilated into the new Leagues for the next season.

At the moment we have three leagues with a total of 67 clubs - the three leagues are equal in status. At the end of the season, clubs will be assimilated into the new structure, as follows:

• The top seven clubs in each of Leagues X, Y and Z will be placed in the Prediction Premier League
  • The 8th placed club with the greatest number of points will also be placed in the Prediction Premier League to make a total of 22 clubs
  • The clubs in the next seven places in Leagues X, Y and Z will be placed in the Prediction Fizzy League
  • The next placed club with the greatest number of points will also be placed in the Prediction Fizzy League to make a total of 22 clubs
  • The remaining clubs will be placed in the Prediction Chumps League, which on present membership will have 23 clubs.

NB Teams who are on equal points have until this point been ordered in the league table arbitrarily by the SORT function in Excel. As soon as practical an additional column will appear in the table which will show the number of correct results which each team has amassed (correct results as opposed to scores). From that date teams on equal points will be ordered as follows:

1. The team who has amassed the greatest number of correct results
  2. The team who has amassed the greatest number of results in games involving Leicester City

It is hoped that these two criteria will be enough to separate in all instances. If anybody has a suggestion for a third criteria, please let me know.

The new season will begin with the matches that take place on the first weekend in November. It will last for 11 games, finishing on Boxing Day.

At that stage there will be simple promotion and relegation between the divisions. I feel undecided about how many clubs should be involved - I'm inclined to think it should be a higher rather than lower number to give more clubs a chance and a bit of variety but I am open to suggestions on this. This will be decided and set in stone before the start of the new season.

Somebody has asked me whether new clubs are allowed to join part-way through the season. It has always been the case that new clubs are welcome and will continue to be so. Until the end of the current season, new clubs will be added to the current Leagues in order of their joining - the last new club went into League X - the next one will go into League Y and so on. From the start of the new season, new clubs will be added to the Prediction Chumps League. If people want to join in, all they have to do is to submit a set of predictions in the appropriate thread - it would be useful but not essential if they somehow highlighted the fact that it is their first set of predictions.

Look out for an announcement about the Predictions Cup which will start in November and run every FA Cup weekend until 17th May. This will be open to non-league teams.

can i make a suggestion? instead of sorting teams based on there current place in the respective leagues why not do it on a point basis-ie the top 22 people witht the most points. This is because for example escos66 has 98 points and is in seventh place in league x meaning currently he will go in the premier. Whereas Polar Bear is 9th in League z with 103 points, meaning even though he has more points then escos66 he will not be in the premier. Surely if all the leagues are equal then it should be done on a points and not a position basis :102:

can i make a suggestion? instead of sorting teams based on there current place in the respective leagues why not do it on a point basis-ie the top 22 people witht the most points. This is because for example escos66 has 98 points and is in seventh place in league x meaning currently he will go in the premier. Whereas Polar Bear is 9th in League z with 103 points, meaning even though he has more points then escos66 he will not be in the premier. Surely if all the leagues are equal then it should be done on a points and not a position basis :102:

Then there was little point in having 3 leagues but your suggestion does seem sensible.

anyone know what points are awarded for wins, draws, correct score etc. Boc did post it somewhere but i can't find it?
Cheers in advance

That's the luck of the draw as far as which league you got into at the first stage. If we were going to go with your suggestion, we might as well have had just one long list instead of three separate leagues.

Checkout the qualification in any competition. You will often see that teams qualify with fewer points than teams that don't qualify. Remember that World Cup where Scotland got sent home even though they had not lost a game and West Germany won it even though they had lost a game.

Football isn't always fair - and neither is the Prediction League. But thanks for the suggestion.

anyone know what points are awarded for wins, draws, correct score etc. Boc did post it somewhere but i can't find it?
Cheers in advance

Up to 5 points can be awarded for each game. Here is the bit you were looking for:

To mark the start of the All-New NottsBoc Prediction League, we thought we would also modify the scoring a little. We're upping the points for a totally correct result to 5 and introducing a new 3-point reward for forecasts that have the correct goal difference but the wrong score. 1 point will continue to be awarded for a correct result where neither the exact score or the correct goal-difference is forecast. In the case of a draw, it will be 5 points for a correct score, 3 points if you're 1 goal out and just the 1 point if you're 2 or more goals out.

Just to clarify:

Actual score = 2-1

You say 2-1 and get 5 points
You say 3-2 and get 3 points (for getting the correct goal difference)
You say 1-0 and get 3 points (for getting the correct goal difference)
You say 2-0 and get 1 point

You say 1-1 or 1-2 and get sweet **** all!

Actual score = 2-2

You say 2-2 and get 5 points
You say 1-1 or 3-3 and get 3 points
You say 0-0 or 4-4 and get just 1 point

You say 1-0 or 0-1 and you get SFA

HTH

That's the luck of the draw as far as which league you got into at the first stage. If we were going to go with your suggestion, we might as well have had just one long list instead of three separate leagues.

Checkout the qualification in any competition. You will often see that teams qualify with fewer points than teams that don't qualify. Remember that World Cup where Scotland got sent home even though they had not lost a game and West Germany won it even though they had lost a game.

Football isn't always fair - and neither is the Prediction League. But thanks for the suggestion.
no worries

It is hoped that these two criteria will be enough to separate in all instances. If anybody has a suggestion for a third criteria, please let me know.
Paper, rock scissors, followed by a fist fight outside the Walkers? :icon_cool

Paper, rock scissors, followed by a fist fight outside the Walkers? :icon_cool

I presume this fist fight will be pre-match with travel to and from the venue at the expense of the league organisers?

You'll have to give me a day or two to think about that one.

I have little interest in what criteria are used (pedant note: criteria is a plural - the singular is criterion) given my position.

Is there a wealthy benefactor out there willing to come in and rescue me from threatened oblivion?

I have little interest in what criteria are used (pedant note: criteria is a plural - the singular is criterion) given my position.

Is there a wealthy benefactor out there willing to come in and rescue me from threatened oblivion?

perhaps you could be bocs feeder club:icon_bigg

(pedant note: criteria is a plural - the singular is criterion)

Criterionites would also point out that it is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films on DVD.

Blimey! You've had your thinking hat on haven't you Boc?

I suggest in the event of a tie the matter is resolved by a pitch invasion - whoever can get closest to the centre circle before being tackled by a steward wins.

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570