Premier League 23/24

“According to sources with knowledge of United’s planning, who remain anonymous because they are not authorised to speak publicly, the club’s preparations for Greenwood’s return also included an assessment of the expected sentiment of external figures, listing individual football pundits, journalists and politicians and stating whether they would be for or against Greenwood’s reintegration. The planning divided these people into categories to the effect of “supportive”, “open-minded” or “hostile”. The club’s document listed a series of domestic abuse charities assumed to be “hostile”.”

The last sentence in that paragraph is pretty incredible.

I wondered why they didn't terminate his contract immediately after the recordings became public. Surely there was no chance of being sued by Greenwood if they had sacked him for unacceptable behaviour?

Having sat on it whilst it went through legal proceedings, Man Utd have given themselves the problem. By failing to make a stand and just fudge it by suspending him pending proceedings, they are effectively allowing the legal process to make their decision for them.

It was always likely that he wouldn't be found guilty. People are incredibly rarely successfully prosecuted for offences like this. If the victim doesn't support the action, as in this case, there was no chance of it going anywhere.

So the whole thing becomes a bit of a circus and Man Utd have claimed to have undertaken their own internal investigation. What bollocks. They either believe what is known about Greenwood is acceptable or it isn't. To be honest, they made that call when they failed to act at the very start so none of what's come out over the last few days can be a surprise.

The acquittal of Mendy this summer told us everything about the attitude of many football people towards this sort of thing.

Just because the News of the World isn't around any more to report on the behaviour of footballers as it used to, doesn't mean all that stuff isn't still going on. It is a consequence of a profession that provides young men with too much money, too much belief in themselves and no personal responsibility.

I wondered why they didn't terminate his contract immediately after the recordings became public. Surely there was no chance of being sued by Greenwood if they had sacked him for unacceptable behaviour?

Having sat on it whilst it went through legal proceedings, Man Utd have given themselves the problem. By failing to make a stand and just fudge it by suspending him pending proceedings, they are effectively allowing the legal process to make their decision for them.

It was always likely that he wouldn't be found guilty. People are incredibly rarely successfully prosecuted for offences like this. If the victim doesn't support the action, as in this case, there was no chance of it going anywhere.

So the whole thing becomes a bit of a circus and Man Utd have claimed to have undertaken their own internal investigation. What bollocks. They either believe what is known about Greenwood is acceptable or it isn't. To be honest, they made that call when they failed to act at the very start so none of what's come out over the last few days can be a surprise.

The acquittal of Mendy this summer told us everything about the attitude of many football people towards this sort of thing.

Just because the News of the World isn't around any more to report on the behaviour of footballers as it used to, doesn't mean all that stuff isn't still going on. It is a consequence of a profession that provides young men with too much money, too much belief in themselves and no personal responsibility.
I’m honestly astounded that Man Utd are even thinking that they will be able to bring him back at all. The backlash will be huge and I cannot believe how they can’t see this.

I’ve seen mention of them supposedly having more evidence and suggestions that the public only know a partial version of events, but unless they’re willing to spell out all of it, which I can’t believe they will, then how can they think it’ll be accepted. Even then, I can’t believe that there would be a set of circumstances that mitigate what is already in the public domain enough.

There is also a suggestion that they have a duty of care to him, which I would suggest taking him out of the limelight and continuing to pay his (reported) £75kpw is fulfilling all the obligations they have anyway, so how that affects things is also beyond me.

They appear stuck in a time warp, unable to see that society isn’t as forgiving as it once was.

That Mason Greenwood hasn’t been completely blackballed from everything connected to the sport is mind-blowing.
I would sincerely hope that should the backlash not be enough to prevent him from coming back, the uproar from ALL fans would have the same impact as the proposed introduction of the European Super League.

ALL fans of all clubs should unite in making his reintroduction completely unacceptable and ensure some of these ****s who own OUR clubs have no doubt that any repeat would irrecoverably damage their already shitty reputation beyond repair.

Their HAS to be a line in the sand. THIS should be it IMO.

That Mason Greenwood hasn’t been completely blackballed from everything connected to the sport is mind-blowing.
But mind-blowing doesn't mean the same as surprising.

Watching them at Spurs, Man Utd are a mess. Not sure their manager is any good. The team look out of touch with the pace of modern football.

Another bunch of overpaid, lazy feckers. Massive salaries paid to players with no hunger left.

And now they want to bring Greenwood into it? They are insane.

Watching them at Spurs, Man Utd are a mess. Not sure their manager is any good. The team look out of touch with the pace of modern football.

Another bunch of overpaid, lazy feckers. Massive salaries paid to players with no hunger left.

Did you watch their game on Monday? Wolves should have pummelled them and they’re meant to be in a state of chaos themselves.

WOTS is that Man Utd are possibly rethinking the Greenwood thing as, shockingly, there has been quite a negative reaction to it. Who would have thought that would happen, eh?

Only saw the sexond half. Maddison and Bissouma ran rings around them. It was so, so easy for Spurs.

Looks like yet another false dawn for those poor long suffering Man U fans.

Is it time to dust off those stupid Norwich scarves again yet & play the ****ing victim again ?

My heart fair bleeds for the poor little lambs.

Remember when you ****ed off to sell t-shirts in South America because the FA Cup was beneath you & you thought you were bigger than the game ?

& now it's the biggest thing you'll ever win.

I know there are bigger things to hate in the game these days but I still ****ING LOVE watching them fail.

Yep. As much as they're trying to pitch the narrative about being what the female players think, what the fans think, what the markets think, etc - their existing men's players will also have their own opinions and I'm sure several will be very against it.

For example, even as a cynic, look at Marcus Rashford's PR Image (which I'm told is very close to home). How does that sit with playing alongside Greenwood? I doubt well at all.

Looks like yet another false dawn for those poor long suffering Man U fans.

Is it time to dust off those stupid Norwich scarves again yet & play the ****ing victim again ?

My heart fair bleeds for the poor little lambs.

Remember when you ****ed off to sell t-shirts in South America because the FA Cup was beneath you & you thought you were bigger than the game ?

& now it's the biggest thing you'll ever win.

I know there are bigger things to hate in the game these days but I still ****ING LOVE watching them fail.

A sea of Norwich scarves as they do a protest walk to attend a home game. It's wonderful to see.

Hi World,

We're really busy so can't play in the oldest cup competition in the world.

Soz,
Man U

P.S. We think we are well better than everyone else.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663