Question for the diving peeps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to the maldives next month and will be doing alot of snorkeling and also doing a 3 day diving course for the first time.

I want to buy a decent snorkel kit before i go, prices seem to vary wildly, im assuming because of quality and materials used?

Anyway, would something like this be any good?

Thanks in advance

FKA

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co....ts/reefwear-travel-light-complete-540746.html

I'm certainly no expert but I always prefer the full face masks, I normally find the ones with the block over the nose like on the link have a black spot.

I only use Mares kit where I can. The best on the market by miles. I use Mares Avanti Quattro fins and I have several different Mares masks.

One tip on buying fins, open heal fins must be worn with neoprene boots, take nothing from what your ad says, without boots they will be uncomfortable and painful. You don't need valves etc in a snorkel either
My advise is to go to Stoney Cove at Stoney Stanton, go to the dive shop there and they will sort you out.

Lastly, is the tree day course PADI..............:081::081::081::081:

sorry siouxsie, that was a diving joke. and you follow it up with a wood joke......:icon_bigg

(sorry - 2 hours snorkling in the caribbean is the extent of my diving knowledge. I like trees though)

I would reiterate what BG says. Go for a Mares mask if your funds will run to it, A snorkel doesn't need to be too fancy, and restrictions at the top end will make it more difficult to clear.

If you buy open heel fins you WILL need neoprene boots as well, regardless of what they try to tell you (sell you). If you don't go for the open heel ones, make sure you try them on with bare feet, don't just go on the size on the fin, there are huge variations in actual size. It should be a snug fit without scrunching your toes up. If it's loose it will probably move about in the water and chafe on your feet. (Personally, I'd go for open heel and boots. I use Avanto Quatro ... best fins in the world, but for a beginner, a cheaper pair will probably suffice).

When you get your mask, again try it on. Don't buy from a website/mail order unles you are buying a model that you have tried. Offer the mask up to your face and breath in very slightly through your nose. The mask should stick on to your face and be comfortable. It if falls off it's too big, If it feels tight, it may be too small. A poorly fitting mask WILL leak. Finally, get a neoprene strap cover (slap strap) for it, it will make it a lot easier to take on and off than just the bare silicon strap. Oh yes, it MUST be tempered glass, don't get plastic lenses, Get a low volume one as well, it will make mask clearing much easier during (and after) your training.

Go to Stoney Cove and have a look at what they've got. Talk to them, tell them what you need. The staff there are really helpful and will sort you out. (That's exactly what I'm doing today ... taking some new trainees up so they can get their pool kit).

You might also want to consider doing your training before you go. You will spend two days of your holiday in the pool and your first 3 evenings doing your classroom work. At least get your theory and pool sessions done before you go so that all you need to do is your open water stuff.

Oh yes, one last it of advice ... do it with BSAC

Last edited:
Cheers BG and SJN, will pop up to Stoney cove next saturday morning and try some kit out.

Many thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670