Rebuilding the squad

Which way should we go?

• Quick fix, go for promotion, don't worry about the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we play long ball that much, it's just we haven't got many quality players who can rip teams apart through slick passing or pace and skill so that's why we're not effective.

slyfox said:
why does most people assume the long ball is the only way of getting promoted,swindon.pompey and dare i say it forest got promoted playing the passing game,when mark mcgee was in charge the football was superb to watch and in the long run will attract the better players

Under the fat scotsman we did pass the ball around and at the time we thought great, but when you actually look at it the ball went square and back far too many times. As Joe said you need to mix it up, Div 1 is more physical than the prem and a more direct ball gives less skilled defenders more problems if it works why not, but as fans we like to see a bit more.
As I have said we want our cake and eat it.

Naughty Fox said:
slyfox said:
why does most people assume the long ball is the only way of getting promoted,swindon.pompey and dare i say it forest got promoted playing the passing game,when mark mcgee was in charge the football was superb to watch and in the long run will attract the better players

Under the fat scotsman we did pass the ball around and at the time we thought great, but when you actually look at it the ball went square and back far too many times. As Joe said you need to mix it up, Div 1 is more physical than the prem and a more direct ball gives less skilled defenders more problems if it works why not, but as fans we like to see a bit more.

Ithink its possible to play good, direct football, nothing wrong with a long ball as long as its not every pass. If your name is david beckham its called a 60 yard pinpoint pass not a long ball.

Maybe we could called our style of play the 60 yard pinpoint pass game, with our main playmaker as walker?

Lboro fox said:
Naughty Fox said:
slyfox said:

Ithink its possible to play good, direct football, nothing wrong with a long ball as long as its not every pass. If your name is david beckham its called a 60 yard pinpoint pass not a long ball.

Maybe we could called our style of play the 60 yard pinpoint pass game, with our main playmaker as walker?

:lol: Like it

Naughty Fox said:
slyfox said:

It was me who first mentioned mixing it up.

Malf said:
Naughty Fox said:
slyfox said:

Different context Malf, and you said In the Mix. :lol:

Joe_Fox said:
Malf said:
Naughty Fox said:
slyfox said:

Different context Malf, and you said In the Mix. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I think you'll find it was me.

Malf said:
Naughty Fox said:
This arguement comes back to comments that were aimed at Marlon a few months back concerning style of play.
Do you want more 'direct' football that will get you results in the first division and give you a chance of promotion or do you want to play 'pretty' football and take time (alot in Forest's case) to get promotion.
This is not an easy one to answer, IMO a team that plays pretty football has more of a chance of surviving in the premiership but finds it harder to get promotion, direct football just does not cut it consistantly enough at a high level but is better for gaining promotion (as we found out).
To play pretty football takes a certain type of player and those players IMO can sometimes not be physical enough for the first division, if the game is going against them they are reluctant to get stuck in. Take a player with less skill and they make up for it in graft.
I hope you can see what I mean.
MA has a massive job and he will not please all of the people all of the time.
I want my cake and eat it, Brazilian football and success, but then what fan does'nt. 8)

I know what your saying, but then if we play direct and get promotion what happens then? Do we install a new style of play which the players will never of played before and that can't be successful overnight or do we carry on hacking it up pitch and go down again. You need a blend of styles, mix it up abit. Never get too predictable, it's not hard to pass a ball about, especially not for footballers that get paid 5-10 bastard grand a week.

Oooh Malf don't you love it

Malf said:
Malf said:
Naughty Fox said:
This arguement comes back to comments that were aimed at Marlon a few months back concerning style of play.
Do you want more 'direct' football that will get you results in the first division and give you a chance of promotion or do you want to play 'pretty' football and take time (alot in Forest's case) to get promotion.
This is not an easy one to answer, IMO a team that plays pretty football has more of a chance of surviving in the premiership but finds it harder to get promotion, direct football just does not cut it consistantly enough at a high level but is better for gaining promotion (as we found out).
To play pretty football takes a certain type of player and those players IMO can sometimes not be physical enough for the first division, if the game is going against them they are reluctant to get stuck in. Take a player with less skill and they make up for it in graft.
I hope you can see what I mean.
MA has a massive job and he will not please all of the people all of the time.
I want my cake and eat it, Brazilian football and success, but then what fan does'nt. 8)

I know what your saying, but then if we play direct and get promotion what happens then? Do we install a new style of play which the players will never of played before and that can't be successful overnight or do we carry on hacking it up pitch and go down again. You need a blend of styles, mix it up abit. Never get too predictable, it's not hard to pass a ball about, especially not for footballers that get paid 5-10 bastard grand a week.

Oooh Malf don't you love it

:oops: sorry Malf I change my credit to you just to piss Joe off :wink:

Hope not, he's a prize prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3776
5West Brom3967