Remembrance Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I've become quite fed up with this display now. I know this will appear quite disrespectful, but it really is becoming difficult to play along.

Leicester City started all this. We were the first club to make a big deal of the fixture closest to Remembrance Day. We invented the poppy on the shirt, the last post being played, and so on. A decade ago it was a novelty of ours. Then, every other club had to copy it until it became impossible not to. Now clubs have armed forces recruiting teams attend these matches eager to attract young fans.

And then it got to the stage where even someone like James McClean has been vilified every year for, quite understandably, not wanting to be part of it. Weirdly, we make many players of nationalities whose families we killed in conflicts stand there solumnly while we dress people up in poppy costumes or hold silly pieces of paper up.

We also even made a big thing of a helicopter delivering the match ball. A few years ago, I posted on here that this would end in tears one year with something going wrong with the helicopter. I foresaw a mechanical failure meaning the helicopter would be stuck on the pitch and the match would have to be abandoned. For obvious reasons, we've thankfully now stopped this silly display.

I'm fortunate enough to have known my great grandfather. He was a lovely man that fought in both world wars. I also knew my two grandfathers who both fought in the second world war. Remembrance for all of them was a quiet, solitary, thing. It was an emotional time to think of their friends and colleagues that fought alongside them and never returned home. When I choose to observe the silence at 11am tomorrow, I'll be thinking of them. The people who had no choice in the matter, who were asked to fight for their country and did.

But when did it become something else? Nobody alive today fought in the first world war. To be alive and have fought in the second world war, you'd have to be over 90. SInce when are we clapping kids in military uniforms and people who've chosen to make a career from it? Why not have an annual parade of nurses or quantity surveyors?

There are now hundreds of military charities hoarding billions of pounds. The Royal British Legion being one of the worst culprits. They routinely redefine their purpose in order to justify their existence. The people they were formed to support are almost all long gone. They have enough money to make any remaining world war veterans wildly rich. So the RBL reinvent themselves and introduce multiple different poppies and multiple different reasons for their continuing. It's a nonsense. That charity should be winding down because it has served its purpose, not ramping up encouraging shaming of anyone not wearing one of their motifs.

As I held my sheet of paper up yesterday, I wondered whether I was the only person there that wasn't comfortable with it all. Thankfully not. There is a very good thread from the Chief Football Writer of the Independent saying much the same thing:

It’s a society thing - we are bombarded with stuff about our ‘heroes’ and shamed if we don’t go along with the narrative

My dad fought in the Second World War - i think he would be truly baffled about it all today

It’s all very odd - any dissent about it and you’re labelled as some kind of rabid communist / terrorist

When I was a lad it was all about respect for the dead. Nowadays it certainly seems like it's about worshipping the military.

I've become quite fed up with this display now. I know this will appear quite disrespectful, but it really is becoming difficult to play along.

Leicester City started all this. We were the first club to make a big deal of the fixture closest to Remembrance Day. We invented the poppy on the shirt, the last post being played, and so on. A decade ago it was a novelty of ours. Then, every other club had to copy it until it became impossible not to. Now clubs have armed forces recruiting teams attend these matches eager to attract young fans.

And then it got to the stage where even someone like James McClean has been vilified every year for, quite understandably, not wanting to be part of it. Weirdly, we make many players of nationalities whose families we killed in conflicts stand there solumnly while we dress people up in poppy costumes or hold silly pieces of paper up.

We also even made a big thing of a helicopter delivering the match ball. A few years ago, I posted on here that this would end in tears one year with something going wrong with the helicopter. I foresaw a mechanical failure meaning the helicopter would be stuck on the pitch and the match would have to be abandoned. For obvious reasons, we've thankfully now stopped this silly display.

I'm fortunate enough to have known my great grandfather. He was a lovely man that fought in both world wars. I also knew my two grandfathers who both fought in the second world war. Remembrance for all of them was a quiet, solitary, thing. It was an emotional time to think of their friends and colleagues that fought alongside them and never returned home. When I choose to observe the silence at 11am tomorrow, I'll be thinking of them. The people who had no choice in the matter, who were asked to fight for their country and did.

But when did it become something else? Nobody alive today fought in the first world war. To be alive and have fought in the second world war, you'd have to be over 90. SInce when are we clapping kids in military uniforms and people who've chosen to make a career from it? Why not have an annual parade of nurses or quantity surveyors?

There are now hundreds of military charities hoarding billions of pounds. The Royal British Legion being one of the worst culprits. They routinely redefine their purpose in order to justify their existence. The people they were formed to support are almost all long gone. They have enough money to make any remaining world war veterans wildly rich. So the RBL reinvent themselves and introduce multiple different poppies and multiple different reasons for their continuing. It's a nonsense. That charity should be winding down because it has served its purpose, not ramping up encouraging shaming of anyone not wearing one of their motifs.

As I held my sheet of paper up yesterday, I wondered whether I was the only person there that wasn't comfortable with it all. Thankfully not. There is a very good thread from the Chief Football Writer of the Independent saying much the same thing:

It's definitely something that has some kind of un-critiqueable status, and it has to be something to do with the fact that we're in the age of free outrage.
Rememberance Sunday is a stark reminder not to fall into war with our neighbours, not an opportunity to play "we're doing more than you" on social media. Which is how it's starting to feel.
Good post IMO BN.

Yet without any remembrance of the sort at the game yesterday, I worry that the younger generations are not going to know or even care what happened in the two world wars.

As evidenced the other week on The Apprentice, none of them even knew the second world war took place between 1939 and 1945.

Nothing gets my goat more than the Purple Poppy movement, which (presumably inspired by sentiment nudged by watching/reading War Horse) seems to be growing apace to commemorate the animals who were "volunteered" for service and paid the ultimate price. I look forward with interest to the countless millions of beasts whose contribution to the war effort amounted to ending up in the tins of bully beef which fed the soldiers having their heroism acknowledged as well.

Nothing gets my goat more than the Purple Poppy movement, which (presumably inspired by sentiment nudged by watching/reading War Horse) seems to be growing apace to commemorate the animals who were "volunteered" for service and paid the ultimate price. I look forward with interest to the countless millions of beasts whose contribution to the war effort amounted to ending up in the tins of bully beef which fed the soldiers having their heroism acknowledged as well.
Was that intentional or subconsciously?

I think it’s important football does it’s bit for Remembrance. So many clubs had players conscripted into battle in WWII and indeed, we were the beneficiaries when the great Billy Wright played for us when Molineux was bomb damaged. It’s hard for any of us to truly understand the threat to our freedom that the world faced and the sacrifices that were made. My grandfather fought in WWI and he wouldn’t ever talk about the horrors he’d seen. I remember doing a school project on WWI and he couldn’t bring himself to tell me about it, just saying we needed to remember the fallen each year. Fiercely proud, he loved his football and he would be delighted how the Fosse (as he used to call them) were paying their respects and encouraging supporters to do the same. We, the younger generations, should be reminded every year of those sacrifices and I think football is a great platform for it. It unites people and for just one minute yesterday, 32,000 people took time to pay their respects - we wouldn’t have what we have today in the free world without it and that includes countries who’s players now play in the Premier League.

I'm proud of our forces and I am grateful for them laying down their lives for my country. Its because of them people like you are able to express your views freely. I'm proud of my club for remembering the fallen in such a stylish way .

I'm proud of our forces and I am grateful for them laying down their lives for my country. Its because of them people like you are able to express your views freely. I'm proud of my club for remembering the fallen in such a stylish way.

But there are multiple more appropriate opportunities to acknowledge this. What on earth has it got to do with a football match in 2019?

I think it’s important football does it’s bit for Remembrance.

Were you really angry when every single football club spent decades not doing anything then? At times when it was much more relevant to the people at matches.

I think it’s important football does it’s bit for Remembrance. So many clubs had players conscripted into battle in WWII and indeed, we were the beneficiaries when the great Billy Wright played for us when Molineux was bomb damaged. It’s hard for any of us to truly understand the threat to our freedom that the world faced and the sacrifices that were made. My grandfather fought in WWI and he wouldn’t ever talk about the horrors he’d seen. I remember doing a school project on WWI and he couldn’t bring himself to tell me about it, just saying we needed to remember the fallen each year. Fiercely proud, he loved his football and he would be delighted how the Fosse (as he used to call them) were paying their respects and encouraging supporters to do the same. We, the younger generations, should be reminded every year of those sacrifices and I think football is a great platform for it. It unites people and for just one minute yesterday, 32,000 people took time to pay their respects - we wouldn’t have what we have today in the free world without it and that includes countries who’s players now play in the Premier League.

I totally agree and I'm very happy to remember and pay respect for their sacrifices for us for just one minute every year out of 525,600 minutes. Seems a small price to pay.

I'm really heartened by most of the responses here. I thought the same last year but hadn't the courage to say so. It was only Delaney doing so that gave me the push this year.

We have far too many emotive silences/periods of applause before matches. It's supposed to be a fecking game of football. It's a release from the shite, not a place to wallow in it. This is one we could remove with ease.

I totally agree and I'm very happy to remember and pay respect for their sacrifices for us for just one minute every year out of 525,600 minutes. Seems a small price to pay.

This is true. The minutes silence is a good monent of reflection for me. Can't say the same for all the poppy competition/trying to outdo others stuff. It's gone from being respectful to being a bit of a circus IMO.

It's whatever you want it to be.

This is true. The minutes silence is a good monent of reflection for me. Can't say the same for all the poppy competition/trying to outdo others stuff. It's gone from being respectful to being a bit of a circus IMO.

I dont get involved in the circus.

I observe the silence and appreciate at that moment the freedoms that I have.

Anyone getting upset about a minutes silence at the football for remembrance needs to fi d something else to be miserable about.

I dont get involved in the circus.

I observe the silence and appreciate at that moment the freedoms that I have.

Anyone getting upset about a minutes silence at the football for remembrance needs to fi d something else to be miserable about.
I don't think the minutes silence is the big issue. At school now we're selling ridiculous amounts poppy based paraphernalia that isn't even poppies. There's snap-bands and rubber bracelets and lanyards, all pouring money into th RBL. It's become about how many poppies you can cram into you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363