Reserve side for 2009/10 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bald reynard

Do people agree that we (desperately) need to set up a Reserve team for the coming season and enter a decent Reserve League again. Cost constraints meant we had to pack up a side last year - surely we've got a bit more 'dosh' to do it this season. I think we really need to have a competitive reserve team and regular League matches - it will help prepare a better squad and create more competition for places. Come on Nige, SORT THIS OUT !

Do people agree that we (desperately) need to set up a Reserve team for the coming season and enter a decent Reserve League again.

It might be too late for the coming season. Leagues will have a cut-off date for applications.

I don't know whether I necessarily agree with you either. The present arrangement with ad-hoc games often arranged at short notice might give staff more flexibility than a league would.

Do people agree that we (desperately) need to set up a Reserve team for the coming season and enter a decent Reserve League again. Cost constraints meant we had to pack up a side last year - surely we've got a bit more 'dosh' to do it this season. I think we really need to have a competitive reserve team and regular League matches - it will help prepare a better squad and create more competition for places. Come on Nige, SORT THIS OUT !

It was not us or the other championship clubs (at that time)that didn't want a league,it was the league that just wanted Prem teams only.

Last edited:
It was not us or the other championship clubs (at that time)that didn't want a league,it was the league that just wanted Prem teams only.

We could nevertheless have entered a reserve team into another league. We had plenty of notice that this was going to happen.

bocadillo said:
I don't know whether I necessarily agree with you either. The present arrangement with ad-hoc games often arranged at short notice might give staff more flexibility than a league would.

This season's arrangements were a complete shambles. Nobody (including the players) knew who they were playing, when they were playing and what they were playing for. They need to compete in a proper league!

Last edited by a moderator:
This season's arrangements were a complete shambles. Nobody (including the players) knew who they were playing, when they were playing and what they were playing for. THEY NEED TO COMPETE IN A PROPER LEAGUE !

Alright calm down mate! I'm sure it's all in hand.

Last edited:
A Trust member asked Chief Exec Lee Hoos about this at our AGM.

The main reason given for not being in a League was related to foreign trialists who can only be evaluated behind closed doors due to complex league rules.

But he did acknowledge that FNF (Family Night Football) used to be popular and hinted that the club might play FNF type games in the future

A Trust member asked Chief Exec Lee Hoos about this at our AGM.

The main reason given for not being in a League was related to foreign trialists who can only be evaluated behind closed doors due to complex league rules.

But he did acknowledge that FNF (Family Night Football) used to be popular and hinted that the club might play FNF type games in the future

So we'll be continuing with this and won't be in a league next season? If so I'd like to see it a lot more professionally this time, i.e. sort out teams in a similar situation and get fixtures sorted, rather than impromptu matches.

So we'll be continuing with this and won't be in a league next season? If so I'd like to see it a lot more professionally this time, i.e. sort out teams in a similar situation and get fixtures sorted, rather than impromptu matches.

It appears to have worked well this season the way it is

We have been very fortunate this season to have been able to keep a very settled side.

This has meant that our 'reserves' have never really been required or exposed. This is less likely to be the case next season in a much more demanding league.

When likes of Adams, Dickov, Kisnorbo, Chambers, Campbell, Wesolowski etc did come into the side after a prolonged absence, they looked way off the pace. Reasonably competitive reserve team football is vital if you need to rely on more than around 16 players.

We either need to relaunch a reserve team or have something in place that is far more effective than what we have used for the last 2 years.

I still believe that not having a reserve team last season was one of the major reasons for our demise.

In related news, is Gerry Taggart still at the club? If so, in what capacity as he's never heard of anymore.

We have been very fortunate this season to have been able to keep a very settled side.

This has meant that our 'reserves' have never really been required or exposed. This is less likely to be the case next season in a much more demanding league.

When likes of Adams, Dickov, Kisnorbo, Chambers, Campbell, Wesolowski etc did come into the side after a prolonged absence, they looked way off the pace. Reasonably competitive reserve team football is vital if you need to rely on more than around 16 players.

We either need to relaunch a reserve team or have something in place that is far more effective than what we have used for the last 2 years.

I still believe that not having a reserve team last season was one of the major reasons for our demise.

In related news, is Gerry Taggart still at the club? If so, in what capacity as he's never heard of anymore.

He is the reserve team coach I believe

I was right: http://www.lcfc.com/page/CoachingStaff/0,,10274,00.html

Last edited:

You are so wrong. :102: We did have a reserve team the season we went down. Didn't help us too much did it. Do agree though that we should have a more structured league for the youngsters to play in as the ressies are the next step up from the youth team. Gives them a better chance to develop and I should imagine give them a bigger will to win when they can see themselves in a table.

Just been watching some of the footage on World of last seasons reserves this time last year and they were playing some good stuff including an 8-1 thrashing of Oldham with 2 hat-tricks including one by Sappleton. There was some appearance in one game by DJ Campbell actually making a meaningfull contribution.

I think we should have some sort of meaningfull league or games for the reserves to play. As has been mentioned when fringe players have come in this season they have looked off the pace and playing in a higher league next year this difference between the 2 levels will be be even more noticeable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670