Reserves lose 2-1 to Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

OS said:
Leicester City's reserve side went down 2-1 to Tottenham Hotspur at Stevenage Borough FC on Monday evening.

City had named a squad containing a mixture of youth and experience for the game as they went in search of their first reserve team win of the new year.

But the battling Foxes would again come away from a contest with nothing to show for a good performance.

Czech Republic striker David Limbersky gave Spurs the lead on 37 minutes.

And despite Leicester's pressure Dutch marksman Mounir El Hamdaoui doubled the home side's advantage with 10 minutes of the game remaining.

Leicester's cause wasn't helped when Peter Canero was sent off for his second booking of the contest.

But despite their numerical disadvantage, Chris O'Grady (pictured) grabbed one back with just five minutes of the game remaining.

City pumped bodies forward in the closing stages in search of an equaliser, but the home side held on.

Speaking after the game, coach Peter Houston said: "This was a game that we should have taken something out of, but two defensive errors have cost us on the night.

"Richard Stearman and Conrad Logan have got themselves into a mix up for their first goal. It was poor communication on their behalf.

"But despite the scoreline I felt as though we should have been at least level at the break.

"Peter Canero got himself sent off in the second half after he picked up two bookings. His first one was for throwing the ball back to a Spurs player when it had gone out for a throw which was harsh.

"We got a man sent off when we played Charlton a fortnight ago so maybe the discipline side of things is something that we need to take a look at.

"Chris O'Grady grabbed a goal back for us with five minutes to go and we threw absolutely everything at them in the closing stages, but it just wasn't to be.

"I hate losing games and it is a habit that we have to get out of at this level."

City: Conrad Logan, Peter Canero, Adam Wykes James Wesolowski, Scott Lycett, Richard Stearman, Aarran Butcher, Scot Gemmill, Chris O'Grady, Tommy Wright, Ricky Muggleton (Liam Norvall 81).
Subs not used: Tyson Payne, James Graham.

Spurs: Eyre, Ifil, McKie, Defendi, O'Donoghue, Ricketts, Hallfredsson, McKenna, Limbersky, El Hamdaoui, Barnard.
Subs not used: Forecast, O'Hara, Lee, Malcolm, Dilevski.

Sent off: Peter Canero (two bookings)

Leigh said:
Canero getting frustrated do you think..?

Probably not, but I am certain that we do not know the truth behind what's going on with Canero. :wink:

Reserves and Canero

Hi all

Went down to the game tonight to cheer on the lads against the yids, as I go to uni not far from Stevenage. Was bloody freezing but we played quite well and showed some decent football in places, o'grady and wright looking impressive but Canero looked particularly unfit (fat) and not in good shape.

Was still unlucky to be sent off, for two yellows the second for a flick out at the defender

Not a bad night overall, particularly enjoyed our coach squaring up to Clive Allen, me being the only City fan in the whole place! :D

Reserves and Canero

Hi all

Went down to the game tonight to cheer on the lads against the yids, as I go to uni not far from Stevenage. Was bloody freezing but we played quite well and showed some decent football in places, o'grady and wright looking impressive but Canero looked particularly unfit (fat) and not in good shape.

Was still unlucky to be sent off, for two yellows the second for a flick out at the defender

Not a bad night overall, particularly enjoyed our coach squaring up to Clive Allen, me being the only City fan in the whole place! :D

Re: Reserves and Canero

outfoxed said:
Hi all

what happened with clive then?

basically the ref gave us a free kick which to be fair it wasn't at all and Allen flipped giving the ref a right earful and jumping up and down very eratically.

Then Peter Houston told him he looked like a right clown and what the hell was he gettin so heated for over a free kick in a reserve game

Obviously clive wasn't too impressed and marched over to shove him, then pete returned the favour with a harder shunt and were just in eachothers faces trading school boy insults, before being parted by the dodgy looking ref assistant guy

All very petty started by a supposed former model professional, but great entertainment for us lot right behind him

basically the ref gave us a free kick which to be fair it wasn't at all and Allen flipped giving the ref a right earful and jumping up and down very eratically.

Then Peter Houston told him he looked like a right clown and what the hell was he gettin so heated for over a free kick in a reserve game

Obviously clive wasn't too impressed and marched over to shove him, then pete returned the favour with a harder shunt and were just in eachothers faces trading school boy insults, before being parted by the dodgy looking ref assistant guy

All very petty started by a supposed former model professional, but great entertainment for us lot right behind him

Sorry Outfoxed there were at least 3 others at the game. We accidentaly sat in front of Martin Jol in first half - dont know what he thought of the comments on his players!!!
O'Grady impressed with his hold up play and pace - he got poor service but kept at it he created a goal from nothing and is definately improving.
Weslowski is also a talent Tiattos running with Izzetts skill would be a good description for last night.
Canero was unlucky to be sent off when Muggleton was replaced he went to right midfield from right back adn was starting to look dangerous - had a good shot on target after a clever free kick. The crowd were uptight and wanted a sending off preferably Stearman or Wright and the ref gave in and picked on Canero who had been getting some rough treatment himself. I think Canero and Wright were both not fully fit.
Stearman and Lycett look confident together and can play the ball as well plus they seem to have pace!!
Overall cold night but a game worth seeing.

Something tells me that Mr Canero will never play for the first team again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669