RIP Gordon Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Another former manager has died. Only a caretaker but he somehow managed to keep us up thanks to that James goal on the final day of the season. We were a complete mess thanks to David Pleat so I'll always remember Lee as a man that did a good job at a dark time.

Another former manager has died. Only a caretaker but he somehow managed to keep us up thanks to that James goal on the final day of the season. We were a complete mess thanks to David Pleat so I'll always remember Lee as a man that did a good job at a dark time.

I was just reading about him yesterday. Weird.

Late 80s, early 90s were the early days of me going regularly with my mates, what a shit show we were. I didn’t think we’d survive that season.

Close on the heels of O'Farrell, I now hear that we have lost Gordon Lee earlier today. Spent most of his time with us in the background but it was he that kept us from the drop when we finally get rid of PleatOut.

Close on the heels of O'Farrell, I now hear that we have lost Gordon Lee earlier today. Spent most of his time with us in the background but it was he that kept us from the drop when we finally get rid of PleatOut.
Do you have everyone on ignore? If so, you probably won’t read this so why do I bother….

I was there on that day. I'm sure I remember a pitch invasion?

Do you have everyone on ignore? If so, you probably won’t read this so why do I bother….
I've often considered putting everybody on ignore but have never been able to find the time. The truth is that canals are like ditches, low down - and we've suffered from a few days of poor signals. Frustrating!

I was a steward then and was working in front of the kop. Fun times.

One minute after the final whistle, I threw my yellow bib into the air and joined in with the on pitch celebrations.

I was only ten and I watched the pitch invasion from the main stand with my dad and grandad.

125,000 people at that game if you believe everyone who claims to have been there….

I was, by the way

Everyone was on the pitch by the end of it all

125,000 people at that game if you believe everyone who claims to have been there….

I was, by the way

Everyone was on the pitch by the end of it all
I wasn't. My dad wouldn't let me.

One minute after the final whistle, I threw my yellow bib into the air and joined in with the on pitch celebrations.

“Failure will mean just that, and the club will be relegated to the Third Division for the first time in 32 years”

Anyone have any idea what the **** he’s on about?

We’re those the days when you used to collect your hi-visi coat from a room in the carling stand BN?

We’re those the days when you used to collect your hi-visi coat from a room in the carling stand BN?

Yeah. After the game you'd queue at a hatch to hand your 'coat' back and collect a very small brown envelope.

At each Xmas game, we'd get a bonus mini Bells whiskey.

Yeah. After the game you'd queue at a hatch to hand your 'coat' back and collect a very small brown envelope.

At each Xmas game, we'd get a bonus mini Bells whiskey.
Then we've met, I used to work in the small room where you handed in your coat and were given your hi visi coat. I did this for a number of years.

This was also during the era of 'Monday Night Football' when the ressies played at FS, the first game was v Man U and they were expecting a decent crowd (perhaps 10k), it turned out (memory may be playing tricks) as over 20k adn they had to delay the kick off.

This was also during the era of 'Monday Night Football' when the ressies played at FS, the first game was v Man U and they were expecting a decent crowd (perhaps 10k), it turned out (memory may be playing tricks) as over 20k adn they had to delay the kick off.
They called it family night football. The Man U game wasn't the first one, but people remember it because of the size of the crowd.

They called it family night football. The Man U game wasn't the first one, but people remember it because of the size of the crowd.
Quite right Jeff, ''Family Night Football'' and again you are correct I believe - it is remembered due to the crowd size and not for being the first one.

That was also the era when Brian Little was in charge (maybe not the exact same year) and fans used to be able to phone in a comment on the game and it would get published in the Mockery.

One game we had, Ormondroyd was crap and got booed, I (idiot) phoned the Mockery and said that ''Little should be booed and not the player - he picked him'' - not only did it get published but then became quote of the week, I narrowly escaped the sack and was glared at by Brian Little.

What was weird that night, was the crowd filled up all the seating area before they opened the standing area in the kop.

What was weird that night, was the crowd filled up all the seating area before they opened the standing area in the kop.
That was the logistics of it. As they were anticipating a crowd of ~10k they were only going to open the Carling Stand, easier to marshal, control and steward, but it quickly became evident that more stands would need to be opened - and fast.

Unfortunately as no one was expecting such a large crowd there wasn't enough turnstile operatives/stewards and so forth, so it was a bit of panic stations to get everyone in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566