rm.com - cheap software

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Anybody in the teaching or parenting sphere got an opinion on a company called rm.com? www.rm.com

Just been to a parents evening at the school and saw it advertised. Can get MS Office professional for less than £50 subject to having a child in education and only installing on one PC.

Anybody used them before? Any pitfalls or things to be wary of?

Thanks folks.

If you're unsure about rm, go here - www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/ Thats official Microsoft route

From the T&C:
Entry into this promotion may only be made by students who are enrolled at an education institution geographically located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, and possess an email address with the suffix 'ac.uk', 'ac.im', 'ac.gg' or 'ac.je'.

Thanks anyway Durham.

From the T&C:
Entry into this promotion may only be made by students who are enrolled at an education institution geographically located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, and possess an email address with the suffix 'ac.uk', 'ac.im', 'ac.gg' or 'ac.je'.

Thanks anyway Durham.

I knew that was the case, is this not possible then??

Anybody in the teaching or parenting sphere got an opinion on a company called rm.com? www.rm.com

Just been to a parents evening at the school and saw it advertised. Can get MS Office professional for less than £50 subject to having a child in education and only installing on one PC.

Anybody used them before? Any pitfalls or things to be wary of?

Thanks folks.

They've been around for years. Formerly known as Research Machines - they supplied computers to schools as an alternative to the Acorn/BBCs which most tended to use.

Solid firm. I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't use them. I certainly did with no problem in my former life.

They've been around for years. Formerly known as Research Machines - they supplied computers to schools as an alternative to the Acorn/BBCs which most tended to use.

RM were the standard school computer before the BBC Micro became available. The first computer I ever used was an RM380z, the school had two of them, and nothing else. It was another couple of years before the BBC Micro became widely available, I think the school got hold of a Commodore PET before they got any BBCs.

ResearchMachines_RM380Z_System_1.jpg

RM were the standard school computer before the BBC Micro became available. The first computer I ever used was an RM380z, the school had two of them, and nothing else. It was another couple of years before the BBC Micro became widely available, I think the school got hold of a Commodore PET before they got any BBCs.

Twas as I said though. The 480z was a contemporary of the BBC Micro, although I think the RM Nimbus was much delayed compared with the Acorn Electron.

Meanwhile at home we would have had the choice between the the 1k RAM of the Sinclair ZX81 and the claimed 3.5k of the Vic-20.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys, I think I'll get my credit card out :023:

I have been dealing with RM on a regular basis for the last 12 years and would have no hesitation in using them or recommending them. The student version of office has been around for years and represents great value for money. I'm not aware of any restrictions in terms of needing a .ac email address. This product is also available from PC World for about £80 (which by the time you've added VAT and delivery to RM's price isn't that much dearer). The system used to work whereby the box you bought contained a form. The student would get that signed by a member of staff (I've signed a few myself), send the completed form to Microsoft who would then send the software by return. Just out of interest, where did you get the T+Cs from?

This product is also available from PC World for about £80 (which by the time you've added VAT and delivery to RM's price isn't that much dearer).

The RM price is £46.49 inc VAT but not gone as far as delivery yet. The biggest difference though is that the RM version is the professional one which includes Publisher - the Student edition doesn't.

Just out of interest, where did you get the T+Cs from?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/buy/universityoffertandc/default.mspx

I have been dealing with RM on a regular basis for the last 12 years and would have no hesitation in using them or recommending them. The student version of office has been around for years and represents great value for money. I'm not aware of any restrictions in terms of needing a .ac email address. This product is also available from PC World for about £80 (which by the time you've added VAT and delivery to RM's price isn't that much dearer). The system used to work whereby the box you bought contained a form. The student would get that signed by a member of staff (I've signed a few myself), send the completed form to Microsoft who would then send the software by return. Just out of interest, where did you get the T+Cs from?

I went in to PC World to buy the latest version of Excel a couple of years ago. They didn't have Excel, but the student version of Office was the same price (£99 at the time), so I bought that instead, just for Excel. No proof of being a student or parent of a student was required, they just trusted people to buy the right version. It may have changed since then though.

I trust RM - but would strongly suggest that you look at Open Office as this is £46.49 inc VAT cheaper ;)

Or about £80 cheaper if you don't buy it at PCWorld !!

I trust RM - but would strongly suggest that you look at Open Office as this is £46.49 inc VAT cheaper ;)

I have OO installed and use it often.

However, until they get the macro incompatibility issues sorted out it will never be a direct replacement for Excel.

And there is no Publisher replacement either :icon_cry:

Hmmmm, looks like that's a special promo just for higher education ... do you know of anyone at uni that would get you a copy?

Sorry, my reply may have been a bit misleading. The T&C were from Microsoft via the link that Durham gave me. There are no such restrictions on the RM site.

Credit card out, order placed. Here's waiting and hoping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669