Robert Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

Leicester City have today been given permission to speak to Blackburn Rovers assistant reserve team manager Robert Kelly.

Manager Craig Levein plans to hold talks with Kelly over the weekend about the vacant assistant managers job at the club.

Levein has already brought in coaches Peter Houston and Kenny Black as he looks to build his own backroom team at the Walkers Stadium.

Kelly (39) is a former Leicester City player, making five appearances
between 1982-84. A back injury cut short his playing career in 1990, but
spells as an Academy coach at Wolves, Watford and now Blackburn have helped him to gain a strong reputation within the game.

Steven

webmaster said:
Leicester City have today been given permission to speak to Blackburn Rovers assistant reserve team manager Robert Kelly.

Manager Craig Levein plans to hold talks with Kelly over the weekend about the vacant assistant managers job at the club.

Levein has already brought in coaches Peter Houston and Kenny Black as he looks to build his own backroom team at the Walkers Stadium.

between 1982-84. A back injury cut short his playing career in 1990, but
spells as an Academy coach at Wolves, Watford and now Blackburn have helped him to gain a strong reputation within the game.

Thanks Webbie, :p :wink: always up-to-date. :wink:

webmaster

EMC Fox said:
EMC Fox said:
webmaster said:

Don't forget his only goal against ManU in 1986 :roll: :D

And the stats say between 82 and 84? strange! I'll check the program again when I get home :?: :roll: :shock:

He was still at Leicester in 1986.

Serves me right for pasting something provided by the club, they've got their facts wrong so often in the past I should know by now to check them before posting!

webmaster

Just checked the facts on Kelly, and he made 17 league starts, plus 7 as sub, and started one league cup match and was sub in two.

Maybe the club's stats are correct, he probably did make five appearances between 1982-84. They've just forgotten to mention his appearances after 1984....

EMC Fox

webmaster said:
Just checked the facts on Kelly, and he made 17 league starts, plus 7 as sub, and started one league cup match and was sub in two.

Maybe the club's stats are correct, he probably did make five appearances between 1982-84. They've just forgotten to mention his appearances after 1984....

And he scored a goal in the 1-1 draw with ManU - look at the Spurs program from that season... we even beat Liverpool soon after (or was it just before) we all thought Bryan Hamilton was god at that point and he used the word fantastic in every sentence... He was full of beans... we used to stand behind the dugout at the front of the old Memebers stand and he'd always say "Hi troops" to us when he came out... untill the bubble burst :lol: :lol: :lol:

webmaster

Having done a bit more research, the club hasn't got much right about him....

Kelly made his Leicester debut in May 1984, against Sunderland. The man he replaced in the team that day was Kevin MacDonald, who a lot of people thought was in line for the assistant manager's job.

He didn't play for Leicester again until the 1985-86 season, when he played 10 games.

He played a further 16 games the following season, before being sold to Wolves for £30,000.

webmaster

EMC Fox said:
And he scored a goal in the 1-1 draw with ManU - look at the Spurs program from that season... we even beat Liverpool soon after (or was it just before)

We beat Liverpool 2-1 on the Wednesday before the Man U game. McAllister and Osman got the goals in that one.

Scotfox

ok clearly some mixed messages coming from the club, but forget the past, its what he can do in the future that matters ( assuming he joins). He obviously has the credentials regarding young players, hopefully he can turn that knowledge to city's advantage. Again this is a long term stratergy, I like it. Probably gives CL more younger player options with the knowledge he has about Scotland. I really like the feel of this, it may not happen this season, (but its early days yet), but the longer term it could be good. : :D

PFKAKTF FOX

If this appointment comes off it will be another excellent move by the club, Rob Kelly has experience at this level with Wolves and Watford, but also with his Academy work he will have identified over the years a number of talented youngsters who could come along to the Walkers.

Also I think this may be an admission by the club that the policy regarding younger players has been poor. By all accounts there are a number of talented homegrown players who for whatever reason have not progressed to be involved in the first team squad, whilst this may be because they are not good enough, I do believe that this will change with the appointment of both Levein and now possibly Kelly. I can see 3 or 4 decent youngsters being reguarly involved with the first team by the end of the season.

My tips would be Stearman, Dawson and Porter to make a breakthrough this season.

mad biker

Think this will happen, it`s all down to Levein, he said who he wanted and will get his man, one thing about this great club of ours they know how to choose, and look after a manager !

Steven

mad biker said:
Think this will happen, it`s all down to Levein, he said who he wanted and will get his man, one thing about this great club of ours they know how to choose, and look after a manager !

In my time of watching City, since 1973, has the manager always looked after the Club though. :roll: :wink:

Who-Izzet

I can't say I know alot about Kelly but Blackburn have brought some talented players through over the last few seasons.

How long has Kelly been there now?

Yorkshirefox

Robert Kelly is here now its official.

I thought he wasn't too bad a player from what I remember. I certainly remember his goal against ManU so I must have gone to that game. I was living down on the South Coast 1982-1987 so I didn't get to too many games.

Hopefully his knowledge of youngsters will get more younger players into the City team this season.

alex

webmaster said:
...and the match before the Liverpool one we lost 1-0 at Wimbledon...Alan Cork got the goal.

At Plough Lane that was, awful ground, awful game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669