Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked these lot the same thing Joe, search for my thread.

Make sure you only look for ones that have already had their head gasket & Cam Belt done as it's a common fault with them.

The one i got had done 45k, had the head gasket and cam belt done last summer and only cost £850.

Just don't crash it

Don't start using technical jargon on us Nathan

I realise they have gone bust and parts for them are getting scarce but they are so cheap second hand and they are pretty decent cars, right?

I'm currently looking for a new car for the current Mrs Spion. There are loads of couple year old City Rovers out there, low mileage and good condition. I asked a dealer (who didn't have one) why and he said that particular model was made by Tata in India.

I think he thought he was putting me off but it made me even more interested!

I'd go for the golf personally, the rover certainly doesn't tick the boxes for performance and styling!! :icon_lol:

It is almost impossible to tell if it has been ragged without driving it but that Golf gives the indication that it hasn't been driven by a 'boy racer' as to me it looks pretty standard and pretty good nick which may indicate that it has been taken very good care of throughout its life.

The cars that have been ragged are usually the ones that have been 'chav'd up', personally I wouldn't touch anything that has got bodykit, silly spoiler, lexus style lights etc.

Just make sure you take whatever car you go and have a look at on a thorough test drive, rag the tits out of it as well to see how the engine responds but also take it round built up areas. Speed bumps are good to check what the suspension is like, listen for any knocking noises ( a bit of squeeking would probs be common for an older car) and also round-abouts for the steering, make sure it is nice and smooth going on full lock both ways, a 3 point turn would also be good to test this.

Also check for smoke from the exhaust on start up and whilst changing gear, if you are going for a petrol car then there should be pretty much no smoke at all, poss a bit if it is still quite cold.

EDIT - Also, I would try and get it through a private sale if possible as garages know exactly how to make a car look good and are pretty much just rip off merchants. Make sure you ask for receipts about the cambelt change as they could be telling pork pies!

Last edited:
Wasn't Rover bought out by a Chinese company?

Yes. Although two companies actually make the 75 now. One is Naijing Automotive Company, who actually own the MG name and will produce some cars at Longbridge, whilst Shanghigh Automotive owns 'Roewe' or the Rover name and because they brought the intellectual rights to the 75 before Rover went bust they are able to also build a version of it.

Shanghigh used Rover in quite a bad way. That said the people running Rover were basically older versions of Fludie, who had no intention of trying to make it a profitable business but rather to remove money from the company and put it into their pockets. Which is sad because when it was sold to them the was a venture capital group who would have brought the business and cut jobs but would have most likely saved the company rather than running it to ruin.

I go past the abandoned factory every day now and its a pretty sad sight to see.

Yes. Although two companies actually make the 75 now. One is Naijing Automotive Company, who actually own the MG name and will produce some cars at Longbridge, whilst Shanghigh Automotive owns 'Roewe' or the Rover name and because they brought the intellectual rights to the 75 before Rover went bust they are able to also build a version of it.

Shanghigh used Rover in quite a bad way. That said the people running Rover were basically older versions of Fludie, who had no intention of trying to make it a profitable business but rather to remove money from the company and put it into their pockets. Which is sad because when it was sold to them the was a venture capital group who would have brought the business and cut jobs but would have most likely saved the company rather than running it to ruin.

I go past the abandoned factory every day now and its a pretty sad sight to see.

:icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Chelsea510
3Arsenal410
4Newcastle410
5Liverpool49
6Aston Villa49
7Brighton48
8Nottm F48