threads with newest posts>threads with oldest posts

if you get my drift...? :102:

joe501 said:
Any way of getting the RSS feed for this site to not have

newest threads>oldest threads

but instead

threads with newest posts>threads with oldest posts

if you get my drift...? :102:

Funny you should ask that, I was working on that earlier today. The 'fixed' version is what I use to put the latest posts on Filbertstreet.net, but I've not replaced the standard RSS generator for the site with the fixed version because I didn't realise people used it. I'll look into it now, should only take a few minutes to get it working properly.

Jeff said:
Funny you should ask that, I was working on that earlier today. The 'fixed' version is what I use to put the latest posts on Filbertstreet.net, but I've not replaced the standard RSS generator for the site with the fixed version because I didn't realise people used it. I'll look into it now, should only take a few minutes to get it working properly.
I see this RSS business all over the place, what is it and how does it work

Should we take this into General Chat Webbo or are we ok here?

The updated RSS generator is now in place. The standard setting will fetch the threads based on when the thread was created. To change this to the more sensible setting of when they were last updated, you need to add &items=active to the end of the url

So it would now become:
Code:
http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/external.php?type=RSS&items=active

I may hard code this into the program as I doubt the default setting is much use to people.

Last edited:
Jeff said:
The updated RSS generator is now in place. The standard setting will fetch the threads based on when the thread was created. To change this to the more sensible setting of when they were last updated, you need to add &items=active to the end of the url

So it would now become:
Code:
http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/external.php?type=RSS&items=active

I may hard code this into the program as I doubt the default setting is much use to people.

So to link to the latest RSS feeds on a site is it as simple as coding that URL into your web page? Presumably not.

You mentioned to me once that you could give me code to do that for the snooker forum - is it something like the above? Would it work for me on stayfree?

brilliant, that code has sorted it for me, now I dont have to go into User CP to see new posts!

joe501 said:
brilliant, that code has sorted it for me, now I dont have to go into User CP to see new posts!
You don't have to anyway, just click "New Posts"

glyn said:
So to link to the latest RSS feeds on a site is it as simple as coding that URL into your web page? Presumably not.

You mentioned to me once that you could give me code to do that for the snooker forum - is it something like the above? Would it work for me on stayfree?

If you just wanted to put the latest posts from the snooker forum on your site it can be done very easily, I could give you a small bit of javascript to do it. But it wouldn't work while the snooker forum is private, you'd need it to be viewable by the public for anything to show up.

If you want to put other RSS feeds on your site it would be a bit more complicated. The best way to do this would be to use a program to turn the RSS feed into html, and I don't think that will run on Stayfree's server. Certainly when I used them you could just do basic html, nothing like PHP or SSI.
An alternative way of doing this would be to use a service that lets you use javascript to fetch the feed - a site like http://jade.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/feed/ for example.

is this to do with the fact general chat will only show posts from the last 2 days even though every time you change to your personal settings (ie last 7 days) whenever you come back it goes back to last 2 days?

drummindefender said:
is this to do with the fact general chat will only show posts from the last 2 days even though every time you change to your personal settings (ie last 7 days) whenever you come back it goes back to last 2 days?

No, it's nothing to do with that.

Looks like it doesn't remember what you change it to, but you can change your default settings for all forums in the user cp. Go to edit options, and change the Default Thread Age Cut Off setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566