Scott Garner signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

From the OS. :icon_wink

Garner Pens Professional Deal
Posted on: Tue 20 May 2008

Leicester City defender Scott Garner has today signed his first one-year professional contract with the club.

The 18-year old, who hails from Coventry, joined the Foxes at the age of 12 and has progressed through each of the youth ranks.

Garner was a mainstay in both the under 18 and reserve sides during the 2007-08 campaign, and the youngster will now be hoping to take the next step up the ladder during the upcoming League One campaign.

Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "This is great news for Scott and is just rewards for all the hard work and effort he has put in to reach this position in his career.

"He has now got a fantastic opportunity to kick on from this stepping stone that has been offered to him to push for a place in and around the first team squad."

Jonbluefox9 from FT says:

He's a tall centre back who put in some solid performances for the under 18s during the 2006/07 championship winning season. Didn't see much of him play last season so can't say if he's improved, stayed at the same level or gone backwards but impressed me when he first moved up to the under 18s. Lack of pace is probably his biggest weakness though.

From what I saw of him in the reserves last season, he needs to learn an awful lot. He was not very good at all.

If the poor bloke read this thread he would have never signed. :icon_conf

Some of you need to get real.

I'm not going to base my judgement of a player on someone saying he'd seen him play in a reserve game or the fact that he's just signing a professional contract.

What is the problem? We're in the THIRD tier of the game in this country. We're not an attractive proposition to join anymore so we have to try and get the best out of our academy players.

If at the end of his contract, he's not featuring then he'll be released. It's not a gamble in my eyes whatsoever. Having said that, I doubt he'll be first choice so to have a hard-working young player around the bunch of older, more experienced, first teamers may help in the long-run.

Good luck Garner and the rest of our young players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670