Should large release clauses be in for a Manager ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the same Arsenal that absolutely shit their pants whenever Teemu Pukki ran at the yesterday and got a jammy penalty retake?

Most of the positivity was down to them not conceding as many chances to Norwich. Even though Norwich should be kicking themselves not to get 3 points.

Comment on being a top six side: In recent years the perception of the 'top six' is it has been a fixture by FA law and entrenched referee favouritism ( bar Our year). If you look at the table from about twenty years ago when Man City were in Division 2 (old Div Three)

1998-99 Top six in order: ManUtd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, West Ham, Aston Villa. Only one of those is currently in the top six this season and since then Leeds, WH, AV and City have been up and down the leagues (BTW, L’pool 7th, little old Leicester finished 10th, Spurs 11th.)

Could this be a season for a big shakeup? Things have to change (like LCFC, Sheff Utd, Wolves making top six - and Brendan ignoring Arsenal) or you might as well watch the Scottish football

Comment on being a top six side: In recent years the perception of the 'top six' is it has been a fixture by FA law and entrenched referee favouritism ( bar Our year). If you look at the table from about twenty years ago when Man City were in Division 2 (old Div Three)

1998-99 Top six in order: ManUtd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, West Ham, Aston Villa. Only one of those is currently in the top six this season and since then Leeds, WH, AV and City have been up and down the leagues (BTW, L’pool 7th, little old Leicester finished 10th, Spurs 11th.)

Could this be a season for a big shakeup? Things have to change (like LCFC, Sheff Utd, Wolves making top six - and Brendan ignoring Arsenal) or you might as well watch the Scottish football
Can't see any other team breaking the mould except us. We're finishing second.

One high finish won't change that much (see Maguire leaving recent champions Leicester for mid-table fodder Manchester United) we will need to be in Europe year in, year out to really change things

One high finish won't change that much (see Maguire leaving recent champions Leicester for mid-table fodder Manchester United) we will need to be in Europe year in, year out to really change things
Yep - but you've got to start somewhere!

AFAIK this "top ..." malarkey only gained currency in 1990 when the then self-defining"Top 5" - Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton - were lead conspirators in the TV-money motivated breakaway of clubs from the Football League which led to the formation of the Prem.

Of course this immediately raises the question of what criterion you use in assessing who is in the top group. Certainly not Championships won for three of those clubs with a fourth's heyday now a bit of a distant memory. It works much better if your criterion is qualifying for Champions' League, which personally I despise.

Even given how rubbish these clubs have been in the last seven or eigth years, there's not been a huge amount of churn in the pecking order - Huge money has moved Chelsea and Man City up, Lack of it and poor financial and football management dropped Everton and Villa down - mostly the order is settled and will continue to be so.

BBC Leicester Sport

@BBCRLSport

Rodgers: “It’s very, very simple. I’m happy here. I came here with a purpose - and that purpose is clear - to lead this club with a group full of potential. Why would I want to move from that? It’s all about happiness”

from BBC 13:55
'Why would I want to leave Leicester?'
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.
"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.
"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

**** all that blether

Can we PLEASE sort out the apostrophe crime in the thread title, as it's making me poorly every time I see it

Should large release clauses be in for a Manager ?

If they haven't got one already they could go for Poch or Flores. ;)

from BBC 13:55
'Why would I want to leave Leicester?'
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.
"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.
"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

Call me an old cynic but, to me, that reads as though he now knows Arsenal are looking elsewhere.

Call me an old cynic but, to me, that reads as though he now knows Arsenal are looking elsewhere.
Or he has an amazing group of players that can achieve greatness this season? Just remember if we finish 1st ( and we can) or 2nd or 4th we need to show that same loyalty when we hit a bad patch over the next few years.
He is manager of a brilliant family club that back their managers to the hilt, the Chairman is level headed and will not rush the club ahead, the training ground is going to be the best in the country and we have an outstanding crop of young talent of which more is coming through.

If we finish top 6 that is a mega season, everything else is a bonus! Arsenal are a basket case of a club and I piss myself laughing when you watch belters like Chris Sutton, Savage and Merson writing us off because we are little old Leicester City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263