Sir Les

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Fan

Good old Sir Les has left Bolton, and is being rumored to join Qpr - oviously not in time to play us but he would undoubtly be a huge force in this Leauge.

Former England striker Les Ferdinand has left Bolton by mutual consent.

The 38-year-old made use of a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave Wanderers if he could not agree an extension on his initial deal.

Ferdinand started just one game for the club since joining in July but also made 11 substitute appearances.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce said: "Les has had limited opportunities at first-team level and we agreed he could leave the club for a fresh start."

London-based Ferdinand had been commuting to Bolton from the capital by helicopter.

Allardyce added: "He is keen to move closer to home and I am sure that is what he will do now.

"I would like to thank him for his service to Bolton Wanderers."

Ferdinand has been linked with a return to his first professional club, Queens Park Rangers.

We could get him back, although that would kind of go against lets go for youth, thing from CL.

Yes hes old, and yes it flies contrary to talk of introducing youth...but yes, I want him back here, but only until the end of the season. We have talked ourselves into a difficult position in this league and Les has the goals in him to get us out of that position. He won't come though!

It might also scupper any deal we seek in getting Scowy off the wage bill, Sir Les is proven and a free agent. Many small prem clubs may find this more attractive then spending money on Scow.

We shall have to wait and see.

thats an arse, we cud of done with him this season. wouldnt go back in for him though - and i bet he'll wanna go to a london club now anyway

Wherever he goes I imagine it's til the end of the season and it will be his last club...my guess is QPR.

I'd love to see him back here though really. Class act.

No,definately not,no more 'stopgap' players have we not learnt the lesson yet? Ferdinand was great last season but that was then this is now.CL is trying to build something here getting another 38 year old in isn't building,I will be extremely surprised if Craig Levein signs any player who is over 30.Gemmill is only here to make up the numbers what was it a 3 month contract? I can see Ferdinand going to Southampton for the rest of the season.

highland fox said:
No,definately not,no more 'stopgap' players have we not learnt the lesson yet? Ferdinand was great last season but that was then this is now.CL is trying to build something here getting another 38 year old in isn't building,I will be extremely surprised if Craig Levein signs any player who is over 30.Gemmill is only here to make up the numbers what was it a 3 month contract? I can see Ferdinand going to Southampton for the rest of the season.

Here here

highland fox said:

Hear, hear. :wink:

yeh i think the club has to adopt a policy of not signing anyone over the age of 30 for the next couple of seasons to solve the age imbalance in the squad. you dont win anything with a squad with as many players on the verge of retirement as we have

We talk about bringing the age of the team down but I can't agree with silverfox more, would love him back so he can finish his career. Perhaps he could show de Vries a thing or two if de Vries does sign. Or even one better than that, go on & take some sort of coaching role. What a guy for Wright, O'Grady & Porter to look up to!

i have to disagree - i just think we've missed the boat as far as les is concerned. the summer would of been the ideal time to give him a player/coach role but now leveins come in and developed his own set of backroom staff and we now have dublin 36 and keown 38 to fill that role of the 'senior professional' - id prefer to have les in their place but i just dont want him as well as the other older players or for us to add another player of that age to the club now.

also as highland fox said he was good last season but that was then this is now - 6 months is an awful long time in a players career when hes 38, theres no guarantee hed set this division alight

Country Fox said:
i have to disagree - i just think we've missed the boat as far as les is concerned. the summer would of been the ideal time to give him a player/coach role but now leveins come in and developed his own set of backroom staff and we now have dublin 36 and keown 38 to fill that role of the 'senior professional' - id prefer to have les in their place but i just dont want him as well as the other older players or for us to add another player of that age to the club now.

also as highland fox said he was good last season but that was then this is now - 6 months is an awful long time in a players career when hes 38, theres no guarantee hed set this division alight

Like Scowy and Connors :wink:

Brauny Blue said:
or indeed like dublin

Come to think of it when was the last time we had such a naff strike force.
We have always seemed to have some hope in the past :cry:

Under Taylor.

Benjamin, Akinbiyi, Cresswell and one point. :roll:

May I just remind everybody who is desperate for us to sign Sir Les, that

1) He is 38 years old and havent we all been complaining about how many old players we have at the club.

2) Many of us have stated that part of our problems have been due to the number of short term fixes we have at the club and that there is no long term view taken, surely Sir Les would be another addition to the short term club.

3) Why have Bolton released him, maybe he has gone on for one season too long and his legs have perhaps gone, do we really want to take a chance on signing another Blake or Dublin.

4) He is hardly going to be cheap.

PFKAKTF FOX said:

1) He is 38 years old and havent we all been complaining about how many old players we have at the club.

2) Many of us have stated that part of our problems have been due to the number of short term fixes we have at the club and that there is no long term view taken, surely Sir Les would be another addition to the short term club.

3) Why have Bolton released him, maybe he has gone on for one season too long and his legs have perhaps gone, do we really want to take a chance on signing another Blake or Dublin.

1) we have been complaining about the amount of shit old players. 1 or 2 good ones will do no harm. Keown and sir les :wink:

2)Sir les will giveus time to scout for good young strikers. I will be a good short-term-fix.

3)Bolton have released him because they have too many strikers fighting for a first team place. That are maybe better then Sir Les now. diouf? Pedersen?

Les has been coming off the bench regualry though.

4) He will cost about half of the departing Scowys wages. If he helps us begin a charge for the play offs **unlikely** he will be well worthit.

Agreed. :wink:

NO MORE SHORT TERM FIXES - dont care who they are or what they may have achieved here in the past the last thing we need is to add to our collection of players that will be retiring/leaving in the summer

Levein's said any signings he makes will be for the long haul. Rules out big Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566