Sky Sports - All-Time Greatest Leicester Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is arguable that Di Stefano and Matthews would have been more effective today because they would have played on better pitches abd been better protected by referees. Matthews was subjected to brutal tackles that would have caused instant dismissal.

I remember Frank O'Farrell the Leicester manager before Jimmy Bloomfield saying that Davie Gibson's performance depended on the state of the pitch and he tried not to play him if the pitch was muddy. Gibson would have loved the pitch at the Walkers.

By that time Davie Gibson would have been well passed his peak of the mid-sixties (under Matt Gillies). At his very best he was an all purpose inside forward who scored goals as well as creating them.

However, the general point you make about pitches (and you could add the state of the ball due to the conditions) is very valid. When we used to arrive at the ground we would see the state of the pitch as a big issue in terms of who would and wouldn't play well.

The relatively high attendances of today - certainly in the Premiership and to an extent in the so called 'Championship' suggests that the public likes what it sees - but it's certainly a different game to years ago.

On players - Leicester has had three world class players (in their era) since the second world war: Banks, Shilton & Lineker. We have also had some very talented crowd favourites (in their era) like Gibson, McLintock, Weller and Worthington and then some 'local heroes' (not necessarily Leicester born though) like Rowley, Cross and Walsh (Steve - tho Jimmy wasn't bad either). The rest include the decent like Izzet who had a touch of class and the ok like Alan Smith/ Matt Elliott - but not that much to get too excited about.

I guess the younger fans wouldn't even consider the likes of Adam Black, Arthur Rowley, Arthur Chandler, Sep Smith et al.

Found this link while googling Adam Black. It's an intresting perspective on us by a Tottenham website:

http://www.mehstg.com/leicest.htm

I won't bother reading anything that has an elementary mistake in the second sentence.

There seem to be a lot of people who forget how good izzet was he was a fantastic box to box midfielder who scored some fantastic and important goals for this club. He has also played at the zenith of football (the world cup) with turkey, something Keith Weller and Frank Worthington however good they were (which was very good) never did. In my opinion Izzet more than deserves his place and those of you who have forgotten his contribution in this short space of time should be ashamed because i certainly know plenty of leicester fans who would agree with what i have said. IZZET LEICESTER LEGEND!!!

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of people who forget how good izzet was he was a fantastic box to box midfielder who scored some fantastic and important goals for this club. He has also played at the zenith of football (the world cup) with turkey, something Keith Weller and Frank Worthington however good they were (which was very good) never did. In my opinion Izzet more than deserves his place and those of you who have forgotten his contribution in this short space of time should be ashamed because i certainly know plenty of leicester fans who would agree with what i have said. IZZET LEICESTER LEGEND!!!

Tbf to Weller & Worthington, the competition for places in an England side, is surely a lot tougher than those that have gained caps for Turkey.
Muzzy was a class act for Leicester City, but a nonentity in international football.

Hello and welcome, that's quite a first post.
Who is it that you're castigating? Has somebody upset you?

I'm scared shitless that one day I'll actually bump into one of you feckin' spanners

It gets scarier every time I feckin' come on here, seriously

Muzzy feckin' Izzet, FFS :icon_roll

I'm scared shitless that one day I'll actually bump into one of you feckin' spanners

It gets scarier every time I feckin' come on here, seriously

Muzzy feckin' Izzet, FFS :icon_roll

I've met about eight people off here (although one of them probably didn't realise), and you're quite right to be scared.

I've met about eight people off here (although one of them probably didn't realise), and you're quite right to be scared.

Well that's eight poor sods who must be feckin' terrified of leaving the house, then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669