Smart phone newbie technophobe needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My meaning was open source software makes things easier for the programmers to write malware and googles not so active in stoping it getting to peoples hardware, i probably could have been clearer

I would love to be able to just install the root Google install of Gingerbread, for instance, but I can't without rooting it first. It is very annoying.

Try the volume control on the side of the handset

thanks but no as far as I can tell it doesn't. It's not mentioned in the instruction booklet and according to various google searches and other people who have asked online there really isn't one.

thanks but no as far as I can tell it doesn't. It's not mentioned in the instruction booklet and according to various google searches and other people who have asked online there really isn't one.

The zoom wouldn't be much use anyway. You'll get better results editing the picture on your PC or using a photo editing app that you would using digital zoom.

Thank you everyone; sorry I didn't read any posts yesterday or reply yesterday.

In answer and response to some of you, I've been dealing direct with Orange on line/on the phone so this might be a better deal than if I walked into an orange shop(?) £20.50 sounds very good from what I can tell for 400 minutes & (in answer to one of you) no up front costs for the handset. In response to what some others of you have said I'll avoid the Nokia and go for the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. I've noted what's been said negatively about the Nokia and so the Samsung seems the best bet.

The talk of bloatware and routing, is totally over my head and I don't know what that all means. But I detected a negativity towards Orange in relation to it. Do you think I should switch providers if they can provide the same phone at the same price?

Thanks for all the posts!

The talk of bloatware and routing, is totally over my head and I don't know what that all means. But I detected a negativity towards Orange in relation to it.

Don't pay any of that any mind at all consticles. Nothing to be concerned about and nothing to place a black mark over Orange for.

Thanks Macky,
I still haven't rung up orange to order even though my phone has been inoperative for over a week!; shows how much I really use mobiles (though I have found it a tad inconvenient in terms of reaching people now and again). Reinforces my view that I don't need to pay more than £20 for a mobile.
One final question one and all before I go ahead; is there a different phone you'd recommend (same price range - £20 p/m with free phone). Been offered 400 minutes.

Thanks Macky,
I still haven't rung up orange to order even though my phone has been inoperative for over a week!; shows how much I really use mobiles (though I have found it a tad inconvenient in terms of reaching people now and again). Reinforces my view that I don't need to pay more than £20 for a mobile.
One final question one and all before I go ahead; is there a different phone you'd recommend (same price range - £20 p/m with free phone). Been offered 400 minutes.

Anything in the galaxy range from Samsung will be decent, failing that, anything Android seems to be pretty safe. The deal seems good for what you seem to need so I'd go for that one.

Thanks Macky,

Do you need to get a contract? Would you not be better to get a cheap mobile on PAYG? By the sounds of it you don't use anything like £20 worth of calls in a month

Last edited:
I thought the same, 2 year contract at £20/month is £480, if you can find a phone on payg for less than £240 and top up £10/month you have saved money.

Something like this: http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/viewProduct.do?productId=16185225

Exactly. He could even get just a basic mobile for ~£20, top it up as needed, save a ****ing fortune and not have to suffer any technophobia learning how to use a new device full of features that he'll never need

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570