Soccernet Championship Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

is it a fox?

Leicester City

Last season: 16th
Manager: Rob Kelly - Quietly-spoken former journalist who emerged from the shadows to rescue Leicester from the relegation battle last year. His reward was the job on a full-time basis.

In: Gareth McAuley (Lincoln, free), Andy Johnson (West Brom, free), Josh Low (Northampton, free), Darren Kenton (Southampton, free).

Out: Joey Gudjonsson (AZ Alkmaar, free).

It is entirely in keeping with Rob Kelly's low-key approach that his summer signings are free transfers, two from the lower leagues. It may also be an acknowledgement that Leicester no longer rank among the favourites.

Andy Johnson could shoulder most responsibility of the newcomers, charged with replacing Joey Gudjonsson, whose fierce competitiveness made him the club's player of the year last time around, though Josh Low should add much-needed width.

Darren Kenton brings pace to defence, but Leicester should be at their quickest in attack with Iain Hume, Matty Fryatt and Elvis Hammond. One of the trio - probably Fryatt - has to take David Connolly's mantle as the leading scorer if Leicester are to swap the lower half of the table for a top-12 finish.

Key man: Iain Hume - Showed speed and skill in flashes last year, but perhaps needs to be more clinical.

One to watch: Matty Fryatt - Outstanding goalscorer in League One, but yet to prove he is as effective at the higher level.

Must do better: Danny Tiatto - Still the club captain, but very much a bit-part player last year as younger players made the most of his absence.

Prediction: Should find it easier to escape relegation, but would be something of a surprise if they figured in the play-off shake-up.

Championship

1. West Brom
2. Southampton
3. Crystal Palace
4. Birmingham City
5. Coventry City
6. Sunderland
7. Derby County
8. Leeds United
9. Wolves
10. Burnley
11. Norwich City
12. Preston
13. Leicester City
14. Cardiff City
15. Stoke City
16. Hull
17. Ipswich Town
18. Sheffield Wednesday
19. Plymouth Argyle
20. Southend United
21. Luton Town
22. Barnsley
23. QPR
24. Colchester United

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=374680&root=england&cc=5739

Pretty accurate I think, though I don't think Palace, Cov and Sunderland will finish in the top 6

Yorkshire Vixen said:
in the notw supplement yesterday they think we will finish 7th!!

I noticed that too but then they said that Elvis & Fryatt would have to shoulder the responsibility of scoring the goals. No mention of Hume for scoring but they made him our key man.

Xantha said:
I noticed that too but then they said that Elvis & Fryatt would have to shoulder the responsibility of scoring the goals. No mention of Hume for scoring but they made him our key man.

yeah i know elvis scoring!?!?!?! not sure which is more believable that or us to finish 7th :icon_lol:

newtonfox said:
depends on what he's scoring :icon_bigg :icon_bigg ;)

Or where :102:

I think Elvis will be very capable back up.

Only one post till my 2000. Got to make it special.

Last edited:
I would say it is a fairly true and accurate reflection of our chances, the truth is we are a club who will cause a lot of differing views amongst the pundits, many will point to the last 2 seasons of disappointment, the lack of cash, a relatively inexperienced manager and a summer of unspectacular signings on that basis predicting another season of mediocrity. But on the other hand some pundits will look at the improvement in results under RK, the fact he has added five players to his squad and is starting to get rid of some of the percieved "dead wood" based on this we could be viewed as the seasons potential surprise package.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us tipped to finish anywhere between 15th and 6th place depending on the pundit, and to be honest you could find sound reason behind both trains of thought.

I think this is an exciting season because of the unpredictability and the fact that we go into the season without genuine expectations of promotion, we could be the surprise package or we could hover around mid table, this season is going to be very difficult to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669