South African to sign for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonfox

LIVINGSTON’S influential midfielder Burton O’Brien is expected to reject the advances of Hearts in favour of Leicester City after being offered the chance to treble his salary by moving to the Walkers Stadium.

O’Brien’s contract at Almondvale expires at the end of the season and the Tynecastle club have already approached the player, and his team-mate David McNamee, about a move to the capital.

However, with Craig Levein continuing to plunder the SPL from his new Midlands base, O’Brien is understood to prefer another opportunity to prove himself in England after an ill-fated spell at Blackburn earlier in his career.

The 24-year-old, whose £900 a week basic wage makes him Livingston’s highest-paid player, has been offered three times that by Leicester if he signs a pre-contract agreement.

A source close to the player said last night: "Craig Levein is the favourite to sign Burton because going down south is his preferred option, and he has been offered good money in comparison to what he earns at Livingston.

"Hearts are keen on him, but moving to Leicester would have its advantages for him if he can establish himself in the side."

O’Brien has emerged as a key player for Livingston this season and, as his international career with South Africa is about to begin, he feels the standard of the English game would enhance his development as a player.

Prior to yesterday’s match with Inverness, O’Brien was Livingston’s top league goalscorer with five goals.

McNamee has also spoken to Hearts, who are reported to have made a £60,000 bid for the defender, but, following the well-documented off-the-field uncertainty in his time with Livingston, is understood to be holding off until the situation at Tynecastle stabilises.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=84932005

apparently he's played for Celtic Boys Club, St. Mirren, Blackburn Rovers and Livingston... it's funny how we're signing all these players from north of the border and yet none of them, so far at least, have actually been scottish...

Got to say I'm loving what Levein is doing. It looks like he is building a squad of players who have age on their side and some quality about them. Levein has already said that the standard of this league is not as good as the SPL, which suggests to me that he knows what personnel are required to get us out of this league, and what personnel will give us a bit of stability.

I do feel more confident about our chances next season now

What I like the fact that he does not rush into things. he obviously has a long term objectives

SilverFox said:
Got to say I'm loving what Levein is doing. It looks like he is building a squad of players who have age on their side and some quality about them. Levein has already said that the standard of this league is not as good as the SPL, which suggests to me that he knows what personnel are required to get us out of this league, and what personnel will give us a bit of stability.

I do feel more confident about our chances next season now

We are not out of it yet mate. I still think we have a chance to make the play-offs. :wink:

CL stated on his arrival that he wanted to have a crack at the premier lge.
If he turns us around , how long will it be before a prem club sacks their manager and they come knocking.
That is my worry , because if the early days are anything to go by then i reckon we found another good manager.

Brauny Blue said:
If he turns us around , how long will it be before a prem club sacks their manager and they come knocking.
That is my worry , because if the early days are anything to go by then i reckon we found another good manager.

CL strikes me as a very loyal man and is the sort of manager who likes to build clubs and teams and therefore is likely to stay until he feels he has gone as far as he can with that club. IMO we have the stadium and fan base now that wasnt available when MON was here and therefore when we get into the premiership with the right manager at the helm there is no reason why over 3 or 4 years we cannot build a team similar to what we had under MON. Remember O'Neill never spent massive money he was similar in many ways to CL, in that he bought in players with something to prove and with a hunger to improve and mainly from the lower divisions where he had spent most of his time as a manager, CL is doing the same by signing players with the same attributes from the SPL where he has spent most of his career.

Levein for me, will not leave this club until he has established us as a regular premiership side and then I think it would only be for a side capable of winning titles or possibly the Scotland job, I think he could be here for a minimum 5 years. Let the good times roll.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Brauny Blue said:

CL strikes me as a very loyal man and is the sort of manager who likes to build clubs and teams and therefore is likely to stay until he feels he has gone as far as he can with that club. IMO we have the stadium and fan base now that wasnt available when MON was here and therefore when we get into the premiership with the right manager at the helm there is no reason why over 3 or 4 years we cannot build a team similar to what we had under MON. Remember O'Neill never spent massive money he was similar in many ways to CL, in that he bought in players with something to prove and with a hunger to improve and mainly from the lower divisions where he had spent most of his time as a manager, CL is doing the same by signing players with the same attributes from the SPL where he has spent most of his career.

Levein for me, will not leave this club until he has established us as a regular premiership side and then I think it would only be for a side capable of winning titles or possibly the Scotland job, I think he could be here for a minimum 5 years. Let the good times roll.

Agreed. He will give us a go in the PL first then look around for offers. :wink:

ffs he's only been here 10 minutes and you all want to sacrifice your first born child for him. i'll decide when he's holding up the silverware, no more blind fecking faith.

MKFox said:
ffs he's only been here 10 minutes and you all want to sacrifice your first born child for him. i'll decide when he's holding up the silverware, no more blind fecking faith.

lol MK, he'll have to wait another 2 months for my first.

If Levein is looking for more players from north of the border why the hell doesn't he approach Ian Murray. He's had alot of rave reviews this season & Rangers havn't got a pre-contract signed with him yet apparently. Hibs will loose him in the summer, I'd offer Canero as bait now to big Terry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4123963.stm

highland fox said:
Can't we re-name this thread 'Gone for a Burton'...... :oops:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687