Southampton - Championship - Saturday 30th December 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
k.o. 3:00 p.m.

Tickets
We've been allocated 2,068 seats for this match; we will be accommodated in the Northam Stand at the north end of the ground. Tickets are priced at £26 for adults, £19 for teenagers (that's anything with 'teen' at the end of the number and seniors, £13 for 12 and under. There is not 'student' discount.

Tickets will go on sale as follows:
Monday 11th December - Season Ticket Holders Priority 1
Tuesday 12th December - Season Ticket Holders Priority 2
Wednesday 13th December - Season Ticket Holders Priority 3
Thursday 14th December - Members
Friday 15th December - General Sale

N.B. The Hull tickets have the same selling dates, so the ticket office is likely to be more busy than usual.

This is an ALL TICKET game for Leicester fans.

Coaches
FoxTravel will be leaving at 9:30 a.m.. Adults travel for £16.50, concessions for £14.50 - with season ticket holders getting a quid discount in each case.

Directions
M1 to J15a
A43
M40 from J10 to J9
A34
M3

150 miles - about 3½ hours

There is no parking at the ground and away fans are advised to use the Park&Ride service which is provided for them - £3 payable on entry:
As you approach Southampton on the M3, turn east onto the M27.
Leave the M27 at J8 and follow the AA signs to the Park&Ride site only a short distance away.

Directions from M27 J8 to the Park&Ride site:
Follow signs for Southampton A3024
Follow the A3024 for approximately 200 yards to the Tesco roundabout
Take 2nd exit following signs for Woolston A3025 into Hamble Lane.
After approximately 100 yards, turn right at mini roundabout going back up Hamble Lane, turning left into the SFC car park entrance (about 15 yards).

Alternatively there are City Council car-parks at the following locations which are said to be a short walk from the stadium (cost of parking unknown):
West Park Road
Lime St
Bond Street
Grosvenor Square
Eastgate

Residents Parking Schemes operate in nearby streets and illegally parked cars are towed away.

Trains
Last season the game was an early kick-off on a Sunday and there were engineering works south of London - it wasn't practical therefore to use the train. This year there are plenty of choices by a variety of routes - mainly by crossing London or by changing at Birmingham New Street. All of the cheapest through tickets for the journey have gone - it will almost certainly be cheaper to re-book at some point on the journey (Nottingham Fox is now the expert on this - why don't you pm him?)

Pubs
For those arriving by car - Ugly Inside's Guide to pubs around the stadium

For those arriving by train - Ugly Inside's Guide to pubs in the city centre

(there are link to pubs in other local areas at the bottom of each of these pages)

Last season's thread

Last edited:
Re: Southampton - Championship - Satuurday 30th December 2006

Trains
Last season the game was an early kick-off on a Sunday and there were engineering works south of London - it wasn't practical therefore to use the train. This year there are plenty of choices by a variety of routes - mainly by crossing London or by changing at Birmingham New Street. All of the cheapest through tickets for the journey have gone - it will almost certainly be cheaper to re-book at some point on the journey (Nottingham Fox is now the expert on this - why don't you pm him?)

:icon_roll :icon_roll

A standard return is a whopping £127.00 but only has limited services.

There is a few advanced tickets knocking around, but it would mean you leaving about 10 mins before the end of the game (this is what i'm doing), due to the 25 minute walk back to the station from the ground.

You could go on the 9.35am from Leicester and return on the 5.15pm from Southampton on advanced tickets for £36 (£23 going and £13 coming back)

If you wanted to stop until the end of the game there is a train back at 6pm, and this would cost £23 each way (Total £46)

There are some deals out there if you are travelling with children and hold a family railcard. This is what I'm doing. (1 adult and 2 children) return tickets total cost £39.50 from Nottingham.

Good luck !

A standard return is a whopping £127.00 but only has limited services.

Limited services because that is the via London fare. The Standard Open Return via not London is only £97.00 !!

You could go on the 9.35am from Leicester and return on the 5.15pm from Southampton on advanced tickets for £36 (£23 going and £13 coming back)

If you wanted to stop until the end of the game there is a train back at 6pm, and this would cost £23 each way (Total £46)

Or wait until 6.15 p.m. and return via Birmingham for £19.50 - Total £42.50 return

Good luck !

Yup - good luck is what is needed. I don't think the railway companies have offered very many cheap fares in the Christmas/New Year period and those they did have sold very quickly!

Limited services because that is the via London fare. The Standard Open Return via not London is only £97.00 !!

Only £97.00 !!!

The best advice would be to stop at home !

A long way to travel at anytime of the year let alone at Christmas time, and it will feel a whole lot longer coming back after we've lost 5-0

Only £97.00 !!!

The best advice would be to stop at home !

A long way to travel at anytime of the year let alone at Christmas time, and it will feel a whole lot longer coming back after we've lost 5-0

Yes, but only a fool would travel on an Standard Open Return. The Saver Return is cheaper - and there are advance returns which are cheaper again than the Saver. The truth is that you have got to get organised - and book well in advance.

Example:
Burnley game at the end of February - fares from the Garden of England to Burnley - Standard Open Return = £283.00; cheapest ticket that can be bought on the day of travel is the Saver Return at £86.70. But I booked Advance Singles earlier this week at £20.00 each way. Add the cost of a Travelodge for the night and that's still a whole lot cheaper than the full cost of me driving there and back.

i went to this last season for the weekend. had a great time untill the footy kicked off. most awfull game of the season.

if anyone is staying down there at all i would highly reccoment the jury's inn. top class hotel at a very cheap price with a hot buffet breaky thrown in. top stuff

i went to this last season for the weekend. had a great time untill the footy kicked off. most awfull game of the season.

if anyone is staying down there at all i would highly reccoment the jury's inn. top class hotel at a very cheap price with a hot buffet breaky thrown in. top stuff

Friday/Saturday Night 29/12/06 / 30/12/2006: £69 a night double / triple room, doesn't say anything about a breakfast though.

PremierTravel Inn have rooms at £56, or the Travel-Lodge have saver rooms available at only £39

Friday/Saturday Night 29/12/06 / 30/12/2006: £69 a night double / triple room, doesn't say anything about a breakfast though.

PremierTravel Inn have rooms at £56, or the Travel-Lodge have saver rooms available at only £39

OS says the Southampton Hilton is available £40 a night, including brekker.

i'm stopping at a travelodge in southampton after this game, was reasonably cheap i think. bought my train tickets a couple of months back so its costing 27.50 :) which i'm pretty ****in chuffed about. never been to southampton before, it a pleasant experience?

i'm stopping at a travelodge in southampton after this game, was reasonably cheap i think. bought my train tickets a couple of months back so its costing 27.50 :) which i'm pretty ****in chuffed about. never been to southampton before, is it a pleasant experience?

Not since Cottee and Muzzy scored to give us a win in April 2000. Before that you would have had to go back to late 1967 when even Peter Shilton managed to get on the score sheet.

Having said that, we have managed a few draws in the intervening years.

i'm stopping at a travelodge in southampton after this game, was reasonably cheap i think. bought my train tickets a couple of months back so its costing 27.50 :) which i'm pretty ****in chuffed about. never been to southampton before, it a pleasant experience?

im guessing you were talking about the place?

it was ok, one street really so not very big, friendly enough and some decent bars. i pulled anyway, but then again i am a brilliant specamin of a handsome young lad.

I'm arriving into Southampton station about 12.50pm, a bit of a walk to the ground (approx 20-30 mins) i've been advised, however I have just found out there is a shuttle service from the station. Does anyone know if the bus tickets provided with the match tickets are available to use on this service, or is it for the Park and Ride service only ???

Pubs that anyone else will be going to ??? I will have 2 children with me !

I'm arriving into Southampton station about 12.50pm, a bit of a walk to the ground (approx 20-30 mins) i've been advised, however I have just found out there is a shuttle service from the station. Does anyone know if the bus tickets provided with the match tickets are available to use on this service, or is it for the Park and Ride service only ???

Pubs that anyone else will be going to ??? I will have 2 children with me !

there was a leicester pub on a street corner near the ground when we went, rammed with away fans. cant remember the name though

I'm arriving into Southampton station about 12.50pm, a bit of a walk to the ground (approx 20-30 mins) i've been advised,

The first time I went it took me around 30 minutes to walk to the ground from the station, might take longer than that if you've got kids with you.

however I have just found out there is a shuttle service from the station. Does anyone know if the bus tickets provided with the match tickets are available to use on this service, or is it for the Park and Ride service only ???

You can use the shuttle bus with your match ticket, the bus is intended for people who go by train. Last time I went they didn't even check tickets to get on the bus.

You need to make sure you leave the station by the correct exit, the buses leave from Blechynden Terrace, if you leave by the other exit you won't find the bus.

You need to make sure you leave the station by the correct exit, the buses leave from Blechynden Terrace, if you leave by the other exit you won't find the bus.

Cheers Jeff.

there was a leicester pub on a street corner near the ground when we went, rammed with away fans. cant remember the name though

On The football ground guide site it recommends various pubs, but this info seemed useful for pubs closer to the ground:

"I did discover a small pub called the Chapel Arms (formerly the Le Tissier Arms), which was only five minutes walk away from the stadium. Although a predominantly 'home' pub you seem to be able to get served okay if you arrive fairly early or have colours covered (for some reason they started to refuse serving away fans nearer kick off time). To find this pub, simply go to the corner of the stadium that has the Saints Superstore on it (between the Itchen & Chapel Stands) and then walk towards the city centre along the road, that runs beside the river and you will come to the pub on your right. Chris Hayward recommends 'The Coopers Arms on Belvedere Road (5-10mins walk away from the ground). Good for both home and away supporters and is amongst the closest to the away coaches dropping off point in Britannia Rd through the local industrial estate"

Cheers Jeff.

A myth seems to have sprung up that St Denys station is nearer to the ground than is Southampton Central and is more convenient for fans. The truth is that not only does St Denys have far fewer trains (all of them slow all-stops services), it is also further from the ground and has no free shuttle buses.

Just to back up what Jeff says here, there are signs for shuttle buses which leave the south side of the station - these buses go to the Cruise and ferry terminals. I have never seen a sign on the station for the shuttle service to the football ground which leaves from the north side of the station - this is the main exit, next to Platform 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566