Stadium calculations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you a Groundhog Day fan too EMC?

Mr Smith your post makes no sense. The groundshare plan is, in all but name, a purchase proposal (the acquisition of the Walkers from Teachers).

bonehead said:
Webbo understates the case for the groundshare.

I made it quite clear that my figures ONLY included the cost of buying it.

The big carrot for Foxes and Tigers is the redevelopment of the Alliance & Leicester stand. Provisions were made in the original plans for an extra deck to be slung on to it to take the stadium capacity to 40,000. The estimated cost of doing this was £10m (the LCFC burden will thus fall to around £5m).

Construction costs seem to be on an ever upward spiral, so I imagine that it would be a lot more than £10 million by the time it happens - if it ever does.

At the moment it would be foolish to increase the capacity. We're averaging around 23,000 for home matches, the tigers get around 16,000. 32,000 is big enough for the time being.

I'm sure it would only be financially viable to increase the capacity if we're in the premiership, and look like staying there. And even then the extra seats would probably only be used a few times a season.

Fixture clashes would become a thing of the past.

Would they?
The authorities have been asked to arrange for City/Tigers fixtures not to clash, but they never seem to get it right, so what makes you think this would change in the future?

I'm sure there would still be weekends when both teams are scheduled to play at home, so one of them would have to play on a Sunday. Even if the league fixtures are arranged properly, there will be cup games that can't be fixed in advance.

When this subject came up earlier in the season most people preferred the games to take place on Saturday - but this won't be possible any more. So it will be more inconvenient for people on those weekends when fixtures do clash.

bonehead said:
Webbo understates the case for the groundshare. The big carrot for Foxes and Tigers is the redevelopment of the Alliance & Leicester stand. Provisions were made in the original plans for an extra deck to be slung on to it to take the stadium capacity to 40,000. The estimated cost of doing this was £10m (the LCFC burden will thus fall to around £5m).

In addition a whole range of new facilities would be housed here. This would undoubtedly make the Walkers the most prestigious sports venue in the Midlands. LCFC would then have a 50% share in a much bigger asset rather than the 0% in the average asset they have at the moment.

Fixture clashes would become a thing of the past. The Walkers venue would gain an international profile. Revenue generating opportunities for player purchases would be considerably increased. Players will want to come here. A modern, new build stadium of 40,000 takes us into the top ten football venues in England.

But this is all too much for the average Leicester fan. It requires imagination...

Spot on mate - Filbert Street was worn out - it had become an embarrassment - of course there was an atmosphere when MON's team was a winning side in the Prem.

But I also remember when we had losing sides there in the old second division and there were crowds of 11,000 -15,000 and the atmosphere wasn't so great then.

I can also remember 42,000 mostly standing & packing the ground with thousands locked out - but those days are long,long gone.

i hope a 'reverse codes' head to head will be part of the deal... :shock:

Bonehead is correct to point

The stadium is to be owned by a new company

NOTHING to do with LCFC or Tigers

The new company will generate cash from it's stadium, that cash will go to the shareholders.

LCFC and Tigers will be left with sweet FA.

Webbo, I was one (of a few) who mooted a Foxes/Tigers groundshare to Tim during our period in administration so I was both surprised and delighted when it was formally announced today. As a season ticket holder at both clubs for nearly forty years I am over the moon about the decision.

True, filling a 40K stadium is dependent on Premiership status. But this will be an infrastructural boost to help us secure that ambition. We may not fill every game but at least six sides could fill an away end and help take our seasonal average to 35,000+.

Re. fixture clashes I think we have our wires crossed here. I meant home games staged at identical or over-lapping times. This clearly would be impossible if we shared the same stadium.

As a Foxes/Tigers fan I get it in the neck from both sides and I am absolutely sick to death of it (the prejudice actually is more on the Tigers side - much of it rooted in resentment about City's behaviour at the outbreak of WW1!).

From the way some have responded on this forum you'd think we had been asked to groundshare with F****t.

Now you're talking

A groundshare with Forest would be brilliant

...and by the way the redevelopment of the A&L stand is a very live issue. This is the main reason why the Tigers are attracted to the proposal. They want to stage internationals and more international tour matches. A 40K stadium will help them achieve this. People forget - Leicester are the world's (I'll repeat that: the WORLD'S) leading rugby club, the Real Madrid of the oval code.

Stadium building and redevelopment costs have not spiralled as you suggest - they are actually going down. £5m for a 7.5K seater deck? Just look what Man U have had to pay to infill for the same number of seats - nearly four times more and the views and facilties will be shite (talk to the Miller Partnership if you don't believe me).

We have in Tim Davies a man of courage and vision. So come down off the fence Webbo. Don't leave your commercial brain on your mouse mat and put on the old blinkers whenever talking about LCFC.

Come and back the plan - not your prejudices.

Welcome back, C

or should that be B now (and not forgetting VOR)

Welcome back anyway

bonehead said:
...and by the way the redevelopment of the A&L stand is a very live issue. This is the main reason why the Tigers are attracted to the proposal. They want to stage internationals and more international tour matches. A 40K stadium will help them achieve this. People forget - Leicester are the world's (I'll repeat that: the WORLD'S) leading rugby club, the Real Madrid of the oval code.

Why can't they stage internationals in a 32,000 capacity stadium?

Will the extra 8,000 make that much difference?

It seems to be a lot of expense to go to for a couple of matches a year - and that's assuming the RFU will allow it to happen, when they could get twice as many people in at Twickenham.

Stadium building and redevelopment costs have not spiralled as you suggest - they are actually going down.

I haven't seen any evidence of this recently - but virtually every major development seems to be over budget by the time it's finished.

We have in Tim Davies a man of courage and vision. So come down off the fence Webbo. Don't leave your commercial brain on your mouse mat and put on the old blinkers whenever talking about LCFC.

What prejudices are you talking about?

Personally I think LCFC should start to walk before thinking about trying to run. It's less than two years since the club was in administration, and it seems far too early to be talking about extending the stadium, with all the associated costs and risks. If we establish ourselves as a Premiership club it makes sense, but not before then.

bonehead said:
Are you a Groundhog Day fan too EMC?

Mr Smith your post makes no sense. The groundshare plan is, in all but name, a purchase proposal (the acquisition of the Walkers from Teachers).

My post makes perfect sense and I also have an opinion of my own not just one which tries to provoke reaction.

If we did have a capacity of 40k this would be a lot more attractive for potential internationals and major events, this could be the catalyst to enable us to compete again.

Welcome back to the board old pal :)

Some good opinions/arguments in this thread. It is not a terrible idea - I've been quite amazed by a lot of the negative comments about rugby/Tigers. As long as the pitch won't get knackered and it is good financially for the club then I do not have a problem with it. Maybe we'll even pull in a few more fans because of it.

SamJ

PFKAKTF FOX said:
If we did have a capacity of 40k this would be a lot more attractive for potential internationals and major events, this could be the catalyst to enable us to compete again.

An England International every 18 months? We will be competing with Man U before we know it.

bonehead said:

Stadium building and redevelopment costs have not spiralled as you suggest - they are actually going down. £5m for a 7.5K seater deck? Just look what Man U have had to pay to infill for the same number of seats - nearly four times more and the views and facilties will be shite (talk to the Miller Partnership if you don't believe me).

Could not agree more, infact having been an a supporter of both sports (plus the cricket) since a boy, the idea is brilliant!

If anyone should be worried it is the tigers fans who can go to any away or home game, support their team with passion and mix with the other supporter, unlike with the football where some morons make this impossible, maybe some foxes supporters are fazed by the success of the tigers! rugby is no longer the one dimensional game as suggested.

What i do not understand is this issue with football and rugby, like me my children (boys and girls) want to see both, but there is deffinately a bend towards the foxes and the football fans will get the best deal from this merger.

By adding the extra capacity and making the stadium what it should have been as it originally planned then the city can grow into it, commercial opertunities such as cup matches (semi's) and rugby/football playoffs, music, whatever will bring in revenue for the clubs and city.

We should be thankfull the Leicester has the best RFC in the world, with a bit more support and positive reactions we could have one of the best clubs in the premiership, showing the rest of the Midlands what a proper team should be, europe hear we come!

I do not understand the objection to sharing the ground. It has to be better for city.

LCFC will own 50% of the ground
It will give us better long term security.
All the fixed costs ie: Repayments, rates and ground maintenance will be shared.
More money for both clubs to spend on players.
We wont have to suffer the parking problems that happen when both clubs play at the same time.

The only problems that I can think of are:
The damage that is done to the pitch
The scheduling of matches
Convincing the fans from two different sporting cultures that the ground sharing can be to everyones advantage
Loss of identity

The pitch is going to be modified so it can withstand the grief rugby gives it. I doubt it will be a artificial pitch, there is a turf that is made up of a matrix of polimer strips and real grass that is more durable than grass

The scheduling of the matches is not a problem.

The hardest problem will be dealing with the fans from both clubs and if the clubs are to win the support of ther fans they must communicate the plans clearly to the fans

New ground, new identity and combining the tigers and city can only strengthen it.

People always react in the same way to change. Firstly they object to it happening, then they find the reasons why they object. The problem is never the change itself, its the fear of the unknown that causes all the problems and the objections. Once we understand how they propose the ground sharing to work and the pro's and cons, then lets deciede if it is good or bad.

step said:
The pitch is going to be modified so it can withstand the grief rugby gives it. I doubt it will be a artificial pitch, there is a turf that is made up of a matrix of polimer strips and real grass that is more durable than grass

Isn't that what they use at Wigan?
The pitch there is crap.

At the moment the pitch thing is my only real objection to sharing.

webmaster said:
step said:

Isn't that what they use at Wigan?
The pitch there is crap.

At the moment the pitch thing is my only real objection to sharing.

Seriously, the turf should not be a problem, there is technology out there to sort it.

Bobby Smith said:
PFKAKTF FOX said:

An England International every 18 months? We will be competing with Man U before we know it.

Where in my post does it say an international every 18 months or that we would be competing with Man Utd ?

What I was trying to say was with an increased capacity, the venue would be more attractive and would be more likely to be used for major events, such as concerts and Internationals, therefore increasing revenue and maybe giving us an opportunity to compete with teams in the middle of the prem, maybe an opportunity to win the odd cup, odd trip in europe...sound familiar.

Dont look for the negatives, look at the positives we may just be watching a team that can hold its own in the prem or maybe watch the odd UEFA cup match in a few years in a stadium we own 50% of...the downside - Green seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669