Not open for further replies.

SamuearlJackson

written by David Pleat!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1719392,00.html

"Richard Stearman, Leicester City

David Pleat
Tuesday February 28, 2006
The Guardian

Richard Stearman still needs to develop physically and improve aspects of his defending but with a further year in Leicester's first team he could become a £1m asset to the club. This young right-back already shows calm, intelligence and natural defensive attributes, which, importantly, include fair speed on the turn.

It is worth noting that he has established himself this season during a difficult time for Leicester. The team has shown awful inconsistency and changes of management do not help any rookie. It is much easier for a young player to come into a winning side, so Stearman has done particularly well under the circumstances.

He is a tall defender, slim and athletic, and I saw him most recently during Leicester's draw with Derby a couple of weeks ago. His strengths soon caught my eye. Early on he intercepted splendidly on two occasions from Adam Bolder's crossfield passes. Quickly moving forward he trapped the ball and distributed it smoothly infield.

Stearman likes to pass from the full-back position using his instep but does not hesitate to whack it forward when he has to resort to the heavy clearance. He seems alert when it comes to sniffing danger and I like the way he covers his centre-backs when play is on the opposite flank.

He can play as a central defender and potential suitors may look at his height and attributes and decide he would be better in that position. Whichever role he takes up, I believe he has the basics required to go on to better things.

At 6ft 2in he is certainly tall for a full-back. I liked my full-backs to be smaller and bouncy, sharp on the turn, but there is no perfect identikit.

Stearman needs to gain muscle but that cannot be achieved overnight and the best way to do it is to play regularly. I recall Bobby Robson's Ipswich coming to my bright, young Luton side in the cup. They won 3-0 and I remarked afterwards how much stronger physically his team appeared. Bobby told me that, although they were young, they had been playing regularly for a couple of seasons and that was the reason.

Another quality Stearman possibly requires is more self-belief. He has the perception to know when and where to move forward to receive a pass but on a couple of occasions seemed reluctant to join in. I was impressed, though, with the way he responded to a personal disappointment, when a fast corner flew off him to present Derby with a ill-deserved equaliser. In the remaining minutes there was nothing negative about his play as he stuck to his task against the tricky Tommy Smith.

Derby's first goal had come when Smith went on Stearman's inside and crossed from deep. Stearman could not cut out the cross, a difficult task for a right-footed right-back against a right-footed player, and on a couple of occasions Stearman could have ushered his opponent wide with better use of his body position. But that would be a harsh criticism. I am sure he'll learn such skills.

Age 18

Born Wolverhampton

Position Defender

Height 6ft 2in

Weight 10st 8lb

From Trainee

Speed 7/10

Heading 7½/10

Defensive awareness 8/10

Team responsibility 7/10

Power 7/10

Pleat's valuation £1m, if he carries on developing"

SamuearlJackson said:
I liked my full-backs & whores to be smaller and bouncy,
Not cheap though David, are they?

Hazzman said:
I might just buy the Guardian for its superb sports section.
What a coincidence! Durham buys The Daily Sport for exactly the same reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570