Stearman

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzzy magic

I'm really confussed, Stearman has played one full game and was man of the match, so why has he been dropped since that game?? If it's because of his age, that's bo11ocks, you've got Fabragas(17) at Arsenal playing week in week out, Rooney was 16, so was Owen when he first broke in the team........If CL thinks that Dabizas is a better defender, then that's not a good sign. I'm not just saying this on seeing him in one game, i go and see 90% of reserve games and he has been outstanding, so why why why isn't he playing.....what must stearman be thinking when he gets dropped after a man of the match award and they dabizas instead of him........we don't wan't another matty piper on our hands!

I can see where you are coming from but I think Stearman's performance needs to be put in to context.

He did play well and certainly didnt disgrace himself, however I think the only real reason he got MotM was because he was on his debut. He got turned round a few times and took maybe 20 minutes to settle down. Dont get me wrong I think he looks an excellent prospect and now think it is time to see him start after Makin's terrible performances of late. I can just see Leveins point of view although I hope this has changed after the Sheff U game. Also bear in mind that stearman hasnt played much at right back, so maybe CL and the coaching staff are just getting him ready.

I don't think he's debut had anything to do with it, as i said i've seen him alot this season and he's been solid every game, to be truthfull i haven't seen him play a bad game. Agreed they might be lining him up to play right back but surely if he is a central defender and the best one we're got behind Keown (maybe) surely he must play there....it's so frustrating watching our defence make mistake after mistake

Couldnt agree more about being frustrated by mistake after mistake in the heart of defence. My main concern about Stearman at CB in this league especially is he is a little too lightweight and maybe not quite tall enough. I think his passing and general awareness of the game coupled with his slightish frame may suit a right back role better.

Be paitent - We have to be careful how we use these youngsters, there is no point throwing them in week in and week out when the team is not performing it could destroy all there confidence also there is the physical side to think of. We cannot afford to throw Stearman in too early and burn him out, remember there are many more fantastic prospects who disappear than there are Wayne Rooney's.

Stearman will get his chance but we have to look at long term not just now.

we have to becareful with him he's a big lad and is still growing look at the problems liverpool had with steven gerrard, he played a season then hardly played the next due to growing pains or something similar.

I can see your point. I'd like to see him on the bench now & again, but it's a gamble for CL at the moment. A couple more defeats for us & the lower teams picking up points would put us in a nastey place in the league.

I think (and hope) that Levein will do what any good manager should do and bring the young payers in slowly. It's the proven way to treat young payers. Those mentioned above all have mature attitiudes (OK, Rooney is a bit of a cock but he was the oldest 16 year old I've ever seen!) and were obvious stars of the future - they are the exception to what is a tried and trusted rule.

And even Rooney, for example, was held back as long as could be done. He'd played more games at Everton coming on as sub as he had for the first team even by the time he was in the England squad. The top managers always talk about holding kids back a bit to ease them in slowly.

Look at ManUre - Giggs, another mature youngster, was playing at 17, but the likes of Beckham, Scholes, etc were not regulars until a couple of years later. Beckham had a very successful spell on loan at Preston (I think) and proved he was ready for the first team before the dour Scot palyed him regularly.

Patience, my friends, patience. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670