Steve Jones from Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lboro fox

He is now out of contract at Crewe, he was the only player that looked decent when they played us, i think he could be worth a shout.

Striker Jones will leave Crewe

_41625502_stevejones_getty203.jpg
Jones has spent five years in Crewe Alexandra's colours

Northern Ireland striker Steve Jones is to leave Crewe, following their relegation from the Championship.
The 29-year-old is out of contract this summer and has expressed a desire to move on but boss Dario Gradi will offer him a new deal if he changes his mind.
However, the Alex boss has decided to release seven other players.
Richard Walker, Anthony Tonkin, Justin Cochrane, Adie Moses, Kyle Wilson, Andrew Bond and Alex Morris will not be offered new terms.
Jones has scored 45 league and cup goals in 173 appearances for Crewe since signing from Leigh RMI in 2001. He has won 19 full international caps for Northern Ireland, scoring once.

what about luke varney, hes a city fan and looked a great player when i saw them.

dpjfox said:
we have been previously linked with Jones, cant remember where or when though
If it was ony of the LCFC forums you can add it to a list 45,000 players we have been "linked" to and never signed. It does get a tad tedious and boring

Last edited:
joe501 said:
do we need another striker?

Yes. I doubt DeVries will back, Hammond has to go - just not good enough, and I can't see us getting promoted if O'Grady is our first reserve

Although I'm not saying Steve Jones is the answer
"45 league and cup goals in 173 appearances for Crewe"
"19 full international caps for Northern Ireland, scoring once."

Melton Fox said:
If it was ony of the LCFC forums you can add it to a list 45,000 players we have been "linked" to and never signed. It does get a tad tedious and boring
exactly melton everyone always suggests who we think we should sign but i cant remember the club ever going on a posters recommendation-rk has his targets and when we know more we wil talk about them ;)

glyn said:
Yes. I doubt DeVries will back, Hammond has to go - just not good enough, and I can't see us getting promoted if O'Grady is our first reserve

I'd rather strengthen the midfield and get a decent keeper than start paying money for reserve strikers though.

glyn said:
Although I'm not saying Steve Jones is the answer
"45 league and cup goals in 173 appearances for Crewe"
"19 full international caps for Northern Ireland, scoring once."
1 in 4 for crewe isnt that bad!!! Hume got 37 in 176 and he is doing ok!!!

I think Jones would be a quality littling signing but I think there will be a lot of competition for his signature from other clubs around us in the championship.

Although thinking about it hes very similar to what we have but not as good!!!!

I say go for Neil Shipperly as he always leaves the club that gets promoted!! He would do a job for a season.

joe501 said:
I'd rather strengthen the midfield and get a decent keeper than start paying money for reserve strikers though.

Absolutely. but the question asked was "do we need another striker", to which my answer was yes. But the answer would be yes for a lot of teams, doesn't mean it's going to happen!

Preferably one who can do it without getting booked every week

DesertFox said:
If we only get one player this summer, it has to be a genuine defensive central midfielder.

Weslowski?

I appreciate an experienced player to come in and relieve the lad maybe needed but after seeing him play i don't think we'll get anyone better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46