storm watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is rainfall measured?
They're saying that 75mm of rain has fallen in 24hours, how are they measuring 75mm? is there a standard sized pot that they measure off?

How is rainfall measured?
They're saying that 75mm of rain has fallen in 24hours, how are they measuring 75mm? is there a standard sized pot that they measure off?

In this case, size doesn't matter. Big pot or little pot - both will fill to a depth of 75mm.

Although, in practice, a funnel is used to feed rain into a marked tube so it can be measured more accurately.

In this case, size doesn't matter. Big pot or little pot - both will fill to a depth of 75mm.

Although, in practice, a funnel is used to feed rain into a marked tube so it can be measured more accurately.

Does it? My feeble brain thinks that a wider pot wouldn't fill as much as a narrower pot, if that makes any sense.

i hope billy sharp can play water polo

Does it? My feeble brain thinks that a wider pot wouldn't fill as much as a narrower pot, if that makes any sense.

I know what you're getting at, but imagine rain falls and covers a football in 75mm of water. If you had put a pot a meter wide on it, the water would be also be 75mm deep there. If you were to put one a cm wide on it, the water would still be 75mm deep there, too.

I know what you're getting at, but imagine rain falls and covers a football in 75mm of water. If you had put a pot a meter wide on it, the water would be also be 75mm deep there. If you were to put one a cm wide on it, the water would still be 75mm deep there, too.

But the bigger the pot, the more accurate the measurement will be.

As I said before, in practice, a funnel is used with a commensurate scale which gives readings down to 0.1 mm, I think.

so in that case, would the container need to be the same diameter as the widest point of the funnel?

so in that case, would the container need to be the same diameter as the widest point of the funnel?

Are you ****s just trying to lift my leg here?

In case you're not, if the area of the top of the funnel that catches the rain is ten times that of the container, then you can use a scale where 1 cm collected in the container represents 1 mm of rainfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669