Surrey cc match

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

So looks like the rain is back in time for our next cc match! According to the mercury allenby is back and with tim boon referring to the boyce-cobb opening partnership in the mercury i cannot see who will drop tomorrow! Maybe this is part of the nixon decision too.

So looks like the rain is back in time for our next cc match! According to the mercury allenby is back and with tim boon referring to the boyce-cobb opening partnership in the mercury i cannot see who will drop tomorrow! Maybe this is part of the nixon decision too.

Well no one is going to get dropped for Nadeem Malik are they?

Will he recover in time for the winter break?

Leics 50-4 from 15.

Usual woeful batting!

No Nixon at all. Thought he was going to be playing as a batter. Very odd.

Back to square one. Another terrible first innings. Once again we cant seem to lose just one wicket as on three occasions we lost two in quick succession. Most frustrating in a way is that hd and dipp arent making big runs to allow the youngsters to bat around them.

Back to square one. Another terrible first innings. Once again we cant seem to lose just one wicket as on three occasions we lost two in quick succession. Most frustrating in a way is that hd and dipp arent making big runs to allow the youngsters to bat around them.

Or indeed, to get out around them!

Last edited:
Our bowling attack has 14 CC wickets between them this season, Harris has ten of them. Ramps cannot fail to make a century.

Innings defeat on the way.

But for three dropped catches and very sloppy Surrey fielding we would not have got past 120.

We were clearly a batter short - I don't see how we are in a position to have Henderson as high as 8....nor an out of touch Cobb opening.

I was also struck by how quiet we were in the field. It looked liked no one had enough spirit to back the bowlers - even given that this was a very limited attack (I'm trying to be kind for a change). Finally, Naik is playing as a second spinner (rather than Nixon as a batter) but doesn't get bowled.

All very odd stuff.

We were clearly a batter short - I don't see how we are in a position to have Henderson as high as 8....nor an out of touch Cobb opening.
I don't know about that. I think if we playing New or Allenby at 8 I would raise an eyebrow. Henderson is a decent #8. I think you have to look at the 7 players above him and their failings.

I don't really like our batting line up. Its too brittle up top with two young players. Also why have we moved Cobb from #5, where he did so well last year? Also, HD has scored no runs for a long time now. I think I would drop him and get him to score runs in the seconds.

Dippenaar
Boyce
Taylor
Nixon
Cobb
Allenby
New+

Perhaps something like this, but still not that convinced by Boyce atm. He doesn't seem to be progressing at all.

Naik would have found it difficult to bowl. He has broken his arm!!

http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/lc/News/Naik-breaks-arm-in-Surrey-game
He has two arms doesn't he? I don't see why he couldn't have bowled with the other one?!

Maybe a bit sadistic, but I love it when fast bowlers break bones and rough people up. Jordan had a poor season last year but he has some talent.

I agree with CM about Henderson at 8, he has done fine there in the past. We are really going to struggle today with just Harris, Gurney, Henderson and Allenby and a few overs from Taylor and Cobb.

I agree with CM about Henderson at 8, he has done fine there in the past. We are really going to struggle today with just Harris, Gurney, Henderson and Allenby and a few overs from Taylor and Cobb.

Claude Henderson - first class career batting average is 18 and that will include matches played on better batting surfaces in South Africa. I'm not convinced that he is a genuine No 8 - but I'm well aware that he has played some really good innings for Leics - especially in difficult to hopeless situations.

Reverting to Naik - I thought he was unfortunate to be given lbw - it looked high to me. However, I didn't realise that he had been even more unfortunate to have earlier suffered a break in his arm!

I cant see anything other than surrey getting something like 550 for 4 dec. And not even confident we will get 4 wickets...

I cant see anything other than surrey getting something like 550 for 4 dec. And not even confident we will get 4 wickets...

I sort of hope so - because if the rest of today is written off then Surrey will bat almost all of Thursday.....and then I am able to get down to the last day on Friday. Without the rain - there would be no fourth day.

As for wickets/points for Leics - a spectator was heard to say: the bulb for Leics points seems to have blown on the main scoreboard.

Lunch 3rd day and all that is needed is a quick 450 by the close and that will set up an interesting final day. However, I will go with us getting around 190 with Surrey struggling to finish it off tonight.

Excellent recover today. Ended about 20 runs ahead with 8 wickets to go. I never saw that coming with that bowling attack - as the Times said today as weak an attack as you would see in the championship all season.

Hopefully Dippenaar can finally get his first ton tomorrow, get the match safe and give Surrey a tricky time after tea :)

Alternatively we will probably be all out by lunch.....

From the OS

Slow left-armer Claude Henderson joined Jigar Naik on the injury list before proceedings began, so the three seamers knew they would have to work extremely hard in an already difficult-looking position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566