Swear word censoring

What kind of censorship

• General chat censor free, F*** and C*** censored elsewhere

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Members can turn censorship on and off. F*** and C*** would be the only words censored if you turn o

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • As above, but milder swear words could be censored too

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Currently the forum is set up to censor a couple of words, and that happens on the whole site. We previously had a modification to the forum that turned off the censorship in the general chat area.

But with the new version I have the opportunity to change the way censorship works.

We could continue the old way, with general chat being uncensored and the rest having the bad ****ing words asterisked.

Or we could have a new version, where each member can choose whether they want censorship turned on or off. This means you could use bad words anywhere on the site, but only those people who have censorship turned off can see them.

The second type of censorship could also give us the chance to censor some milder swear words too.

Please select which you'd prefer.

Last edited:

spionfox

I once got a totally unjustified (and quickly rescinded because the **** had got it wrong :icon_wink) infraction for supposedly swearing in a non-general chat forum. If the system changed to option B would the forum rules be amended so that swearing was allowed everywhere in future on the basis that the default was swear filter on?

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I once got a totally unjustified (and quickly rescinded because the **** had got it wrong :icon_wink) infraction for supposedly swearing in a non-general chat forum. If the system changed to option B would the forum rules be amended so that swearing was allowed everywhere in future on the basis that the default was swear filter on?

Swearing would be allowed everywhere. People who don't mind seeing it would see it, people who don't want to see it, won't.

The rules about abuse would still be the same though so you can't start calling people ***** in the prediction league forum.

spionfox

Swearing would be allowed everywhere. People who don't mind seeing it would see it, people who don't want to see it, won't.

The rules about abuse would still be the same though so you can't start calling people ***** in the prediction league forum.

Thanks, but having thought it through a little bit more I feel we should avoid bad language in non-general chat areas as before. Perhaps if vulgarity was kept in check it might persuade people to develop their own inter-personal skills in a more beneficial way.

GazLCFC

What about when people aren't logged in? It's bad enough seeing SJN's arse when I pop on at work without seeing his **** as well.

Steven

The record's stuck, the record's stuck, the record's stuck ......... :icon_roll

The Old Fox

Principle says no to censorship - pragmatism says no to pages of banal illiteracy. I, therefore vote for the status quo.

spionfox

If I remember correctly it was you who promised to never mention it again. :icon_wink

Difference is, I didn't identify you as the **** that gave it to me this time :icon_bigg

Han

Keep it as it is webbo. If it changes we'll more than likely see an influx of unnecessary ***** and ****s. It's all well and good them being asterixed out but posts full of asterixes (such a word?) could get very boring. Keep it civil.

Steven

Keep it as it is webbo. If it changes we'll more than likely see an influx of unnecessary ***** and ****s. It's all well and good them being asterixed out but posts full of asterixes (such a word?) could get very boring. Keep it civil.

Good points. Can I change my vote from b to a?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670