Swoopo.co.uk - A Gambler's Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

swoopo.co.uk

^Anyone seen this? Its a bit like ebay, but things are generally cheaper only thing is countdowns tend to be a lot quicker and you pay 50p for each bid.

Seems like you can get a real bargain if you got in at the right time, or did it with emotions detached and took a Scientific view of studying it for a couple of weeks to see what each product generally goes for.

And by generally cheaper i mean this cheap: http://www.swoopo.co.uk/auction.html?cm_re=Homepage-_-Grid-_-2%2f9%2fPicture&aid=170941

Last edited by a moderator:
The time goes up after every bid.

I was watching a Swoopo Wii 'auction' and couldn't believe it when it got to around £160 as you can buy them for less than that if you shop around.

Eventually it finished at £214.20. Add on the £8 the winner paid for bidding and someone has paid £60 more than they should. Then there's the £1,000 or so paid by people who made bids but didn't win it.

There are some very stupid people around.

Last edited:
I was watching a Swoopo Wii 'auction' and couldn't believe it when it got to around £160 as you can buy them for less than that if you shop around.

Eventually it finished at £214.20. Add on the £8 the winner paid for bidding and someone has paid £60 more than they should. Then there's the £1,000 or so paid by people who made bids but didn't win it.

There are some very stupid people around.

i know, but like i said sometimes you get a Wii for about £8 or so. Id imagine there are certain times of the day things go a lot cheaper, maybe if you wanted a cheap Wii really badly and had no job you could study the bidding patterns, they also seem to go cheaper when theres more than 1 of the same product being bid on at the same time for some reason, but its an ingenious idea for the people who made it wither way.

Well, if its gone for £214, was it the one that went up by 10p? Thats a near £2k profit for the website as it is, plus the actual payment of the thing

Last edited:
Some things do go very cheaply. A Panasonic breadmaker I ordered recently for a bargain price of £50 has been sold on Swoopo tonight for £6.20.

It should be seen as a gamble though, rather than a proper auction. I've not been able to work out a pattern to the way the prices can vary so much in such a short space of time. If I work it out I might sign up and get a bargain, but it looks like it's just down to luck and it might be more cost effective buying a lottery ticket instead.

Apparantly, and I don't know how true it is, they have bots sitting there to bid at the last second against people to help bump the price up until they have at least recovered the cost of the item in bid money.

Apparantly, and I don't know how true it is, they have bots sitting there to bid at the last second against people to help bump the price up until they have at least recovered the cost of the item in bid money.

I've seen loads of stuff where Swoopo haven't had enough bids to cover anywhere near the cost of the item. They make loads of profit on most things so I'm sure they can cope with the occasional loss.
For example this one that finished this morning:
http://www.swoopo.co.uk/auction/gaggia-cubika-74511-espresso-coffee-make/175417.html

Who told you that? :102: Why would they even want to do that? The bots dont put in money for each bid like a punter would, and the higher the make the price that would drive bidders away, so making bots there to put money in would just lose them money, surely?

Last edited:
So, if I'm reading this right, apart from the odd lost leader, bought by someone who might or might not exist,a lot of the items cost more that they would in the shop and it costs you to bid whether you win or not?

Sounds great.:tumbleweed:

So, if I'm reading this right, apart from the odd lost leader, bought by someone who might or might not exist,a lot of the items cost more that they would in the shop and it costs you to bid whether you win or not?

Sounds great.:tumbleweed:

Yep :icon_bigg Thats why its a gamblers site

This site is a complete joke! It is just a big SCAM. I stared at the counter until it went down to 1 second hit bid, and NOPE I didn't win... I clocked it with a real counter and after the 15 second timer goes their timer does a slight pause when someone new bids and you can't see it unless you are watching closely, but sure enough I counted the pauses and the amount of bidders and it matched, so anyone else who is watching would know better then to bid when you see the pauses.
I jotted down a variety of "ending Auctions" and they were all the same!!!
luckily I didn't waste tons of money at this joke!
These geniuses are ripping the hell off of people at an unprecedated rate and probably with no merchandise to back up this scam.
I want to hear ONE REAL person who has won something from this site!!!
I would love to get them shut down for fraud

i guess its a bit of a fraud then if true :icon_lol: Though tbf, a lot of those complainants are simply about it taking their money from the bidding which is kinda the point

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47