Talking Balls Prediction League - format and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
The Competition
The Prediction League is a head-to-head competition involving 72 teams divided into 3 divisions. Each team plays each of the other 23 teams in its division once in a Prediction League season. There are two Prediction League season in each Football League season. There will be promotion and relegation between each Prediction League division at end of each season - this will normally be on a 4-up/4-down basis.

Predictions
The competition is based on the results of games played in the Coca-Cola Championship. The fixtures for each game week are published in a new thread about 7 days before each set of games is due to take place, together with a list of the Prediction League games.

Teams should then make their predictions and PM them back to me. All predictions should be received before kick-off time in the relevant games. Although PM is the preferred method of prediction submission, it is also permissible to forward them by SMS or email, if the need arises - please PM for relevant detals if you need to do this.

It would be very helpful if predictions could be written at the end of the line after the name of the two teams and not between the names of the two teams:

City 1v2 F!"£$t is BAD :thumbs_do

City 1 F!"£$t 3 is VERY BAD :thumbs_do

City v F!"£$t 3-0 is GOOD :023:

Please note that no set of predictions will be accepted where 49% or more of the selections are identical. Subject to time being available, people making such submissions will be advised and invited to make a new set of predictions. If no new set of predictions is received, the identical entries will be marked only up to the 49% limit with any additional identical entries being awarded 0 match points. For the avoidance of doubt, a 2-1 prediction is NOT the same as a 1-2 prediction.

Scoring
Match points are awarded for each game on the following basis:

5 points for a wholly correct result
3 points for correct goal difference
1 point for an otherw*s* correct result

In the case of a drawn game, you get the 3 points if you are only one goal out; only 1 point if you are two or more goals out.

Examples:

You predict the score will be 2-1:
If the score is 2-1, you get 5 points
If the score is 1-0 or 3-2 or there is any other similar winning margin for the home team, you get 3 points
If the home team wins by any other score, you get 1 point
If the match finishes 1-1, 1-2 or in any other draw or away win, you get SFA

You predict the score will be 2-2:
If the score is 2-2, you get 5 points
If the score is 1-1 or 3-3, you get 3 points
If the score is 0-0, 4-4 or any other draw, you get 1 point
If the match doesn't finish in a draw, you get SFA

League table
League points are awarded on the following basis:

Two points for a win. One point for a draw.

No points will be awarded in the case of a 0-0 draw to sides who have not submitted predictions.

Win, lose or draw, an additional league point will be awarded for every 10 game points scored.

In the event of teams being equal on points, goals scored will decide. In the event of teams being equal on both points and goals scored, positions will be decided on the result of the game(s) between those teams. (N.B. the tables may not reflect this last criterion whilst the season is in progress)

Predicting in Advance
If you are going to be away from your computer for any time because of holidays or anything else, you may want to consider submitting your predictions in advance so that you do not miss out on the chance of scoring points

In plenty of time before you go away, send me a PM with your holiday dates. I will send you the list of fixtures that you will be missing. You can then PM me your predictions and I will include them in the appropriate thread when I open it.

You can predict in advance for as many weeks as you wish.

Appeals
Any appeals should be made within 14 days of the completion of the game in question. I do not keep submission PMs for longer than 14 days, so no appeal can be considered after this time.

Last edited:
Postponed and abandoned matches

Games that do not start will be void. The option of using 'Pools Panel' results is not practical because they don't give the actual score, only the result. In any case I see no point in trying to predict what another group of people predict that the result would have been.

The only exception would be if a game were immediately rearranged to be played within the following 72 hours when the result of the rearranged fixture would be used.

In the case of games that finish early the score at the time of the abandonment will be deemed to be the final result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669