Tax Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lako42

I am owed money from over paying tax in the last financial year, does anyone know where I have to send the P60, covering letter etc to get the rebate processed?

There's a regional tax office in Leicester - Saxon House, Causeway Lane

Tel. number is 0845 302 1442

Send it to your own tax office. It won't necessarily be local - mine is in the central band of Scotland even though my main source of income is in London. Your tax district (or its three-digit reference) will be shown on your P60 - you can find the postal address at: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm

Cheers guys, it is the Leicester office. Gave them a ring and they believe im due about £500.

Not bad when im off travelling in 3 days, nice amount to come back to i suppose.

Is it just your p60 and cover letter you have to send in, first time ive had to do it.

Cheers guys, it is the Leicester office. Gave them a ring and they believe im due about £500.

Not bad when im off travelling in 3 days, nice amount to come back to i suppose.

Is it just your p60 and cover letter you have to send in, first time ive had to do it.

I'm not even sure that I would send my P60. It is an important document that can not be replaced if it is lost. I have certainly had rebates without letting go of my P60 on several occasions. They shouldn't need it because they will have been sent their own copy by your employer - you may want to send them a photocopy to help state your claim.

If you have more than one employer or have earnings and tax paid on a P45 from a previous employer that hasn't been included on your P60, be sure to make reference to that as well.

I would just write, explaining the situation and telling them how and by how much you believe you have overpaid - don't forget to include your National Insurance number because that is how they reference your account.

Presumably if you have been working for an employer, you have been paying tax under PAYE - in which case, however did you manage to have become £500 overpaid.

There is a slight danger that the tax office might try to repay you by fiddling with your tax code for next year (now, the current year) so that you effectively get your rebate through paying less tax in the future. In your personal circumstances I am sure that you would not want that to happen, so make sure that you let them know that you expect a rebate.

For some reason i was on an emergancy tax code for the entirety of my employment.

Make sure you give them bank account details as these aren't on the p60 or p14 (I don't think, can't be bothered to check)

You'll probably need to keep phoning to get this pushed through the system. They seem to have huge backlogs and staff shortages (following cuts) still.

I'm not even sure that I would send my P60. It is an important document that can not be replaced if it is lost. I have certainly had rebates without letting go of my P60 on several occasions. They shouldn't need it because they will have been sent their own copy by your employer - you may want to send them a photocopy to help state your claim.

My employees are always asking for copies of their P60 (not given) as the tax office demand it when dealing with enquiries despite us filing the p14s online, always before the May 19th deadline. I have never understood this but know it to be true as
I've also been asked. :bang:

I've never had to give my P60 to anybody when claiming a rebate.

There is a slight danger that the tax office might try to repay you by fiddling with your tax code for next year (now, the current year) so that you effectively get your rebate through paying less tax in the future.

They did that to me last year, so no £1000 rebate to spunk this summer. It's a pain in the arse cos you just don't notice it with the tax code change.:icon_sad:

The one thing to remember is that these people are ****s

Not just ****s in a nasty lying cheating vindictive sort of way (which of course they are), but also in a bumbling ****ing useless Ian Holloway incompetent sort of way

For five hundred notes I'd make the effort and get down to the Tax Office in person - take everything with you, make them photocopy everything, get a claim number and someone's name to hassle on a weekly basis until they pay you

Believe me, you may well regret it if you don't

The one thing to remember is that these people are ****s

Not just ****s in a nasty lying cheating vindictive sort of way (which of course they are), but also in a bumbling ****ing useless Ian Holloway incompetent sort of way

For five hundred notes I'd make the effort and get down to the Tax Office in person - take everything with you, make them photocopy everything, get a claim number and someone's name to hassle on a weekly basis until they pay you

Believe me, you may well regret it if you don't

The problem is i don't have time to get to leicester before i leave on saturday so im going to have to take the chance, will it be better to send it by recorded mail?

The problem is i don't have time to get to leicester before i leave on saturday so im going to have to take the chance, will it be better to send it by recorded mail?

Definitely need proof of their receipt if you have to stick it in the post, so yes

Why they actually need it is a bit of a mystery

Definitely need proof of their receipt if you have to stick it in the post, so yes

Why they actually need it is a bit of a mystery

Well they wont necessarily receive it from his employer for another 6 weeks.

Sent.

Fingers crossed the inept feckers don't lose it now.

Cheers everyone, every 3 or so years this place is actually quite helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46